Old 12-09-2014, 02:14 PM   #1
Looking for a home

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Watkinsville , Georgia
1991 Land Yacht 36'

I am interested in buying a 1991 LY 36; however, I know nothing about Airstream motorhomes and have no idea how to find out about reliability, fair value, etc....

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Eugene

Old 12-09-2014, 03:17 PM   #2
Pet Sitter Extraordinaire

1975 27' Overlander
Chattanooga , Tennessee
I had a 1995 LY 36 diesel as well as a few aluminum campers. Something to remember is that the motor home and automotive parts are two different animals. With my diesel, I had to find a big truck shop for any mechanical repairs. Once I did, everything worked much better. Tires were harder to get from a tire shop. There again, I had to go to a big truck tire shop, but no problems once I found them.

The motor home part was fiberglass so we had more of the box camper issues instead of the aluminum Airstream issues. Basically plumbing lines and electric are the same with any camper. How it is run through the camper may be different. Thankfully I didn't have to get into this area.

There is a Secretarial Service in Ohio that has most manuals. Their contact info can be found on this site. I highly recommend having a manual for any unit you have. Some has an owner's manual and a service manual. Get both if you have to. There is valuable information in them that you would not even think to ask.

I loved the Cummins diesel engine and Allison transmission. Once I got them tuned up, it was awesome! Even gas mileage was great at 19 miles per gallon.

I didn't like the fiberglass issues so much. More upkeep and replacement than on an Aluminum unit.

Overall, I would go with another Airstream motor home if I could find an aluminum one.

Hope this was helpful. Good luck and have fun searching! Then remember to come back here with any questions and all the pictures you have! We love pictures!!!!

Air #2757
1989 SquareStream (Annie #8)
kposey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 03:25 PM   #3
Looking for a home

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Watkinsville , Georgia
The unit I'm currently viewing is a gas, 454 engine. Is it appropriate to show the unit here? It's listed on the airstream classifieds for $18500. Don't know how well this engine works with a MH this size...

Thank you so much for the information on where to find manuals.

Eugene
Old 12-09-2014, 03:56 PM   #4
Looking for a home

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Watkinsville , Georgia
Different "levels" of Class A Land Yachts?

There appears to be different trim levels in the Class Land Yachts in at least years 2000 and 2001. Is the Airstream model lineup available anywhere for the years 1990 to 2007? That might be helpful as I'm looking at different units available for sale.

Thanks again.
Eugene
Old 12-10-2014, 11:52 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
This is a fiberglass motor home. How many years did Airstream build the Classic aluminum motor home and the Land Yacht fiberglass motor home in the same year?
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 06:16 AM   #6
Looking for a home

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Watkinsville , Georgia
http://www.airstream.com/service/document-archive/

Found this archive in another thread:

http://www.airstream.com/service/document-archive/

Lots of great information.

Scroll way down to get to the motorhomes.

Eugene
Old 12-27-2014, 10:26 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1990 36' Land Yacht
Bradenton , Florida
Talking 91 ly 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by kposey View Post
I had a 1995 LY 36 diesel as well as a few aluminum campers. Something to remember is that the motor home and automotive parts are two different animals. With my diesel, I had to find a big truck shop for any mechanical repairs. Once I did, everything worked much better. Tires were harder to get from a tire shop. There again, I had to go to a big truck tire shop, but no problems once I found them.

The motor home part was fiberglass so we had more of the box camper issues instead of the aluminum Airstream issues. Basically plumbing lines and electric are the same with any camper. How it is run through the camper may be different. Thankfully I didn't have to get into this area.

There is a Secretarial Service in Ohio that has most manuals. Their contact info can be found on this site. I highly recommend having a manual for any unit you have. Some has an owner's manual and a service manual. Get both if you have to. There is valuable information in them that you would not even think to ask.

I loved the Cummins diesel engine and Allison transmission. Once I got them tuned up, it was awesome! Even gas mileage was great at 19 miles per gallon.

I didn't like the fiberglass issues so much. More upkeep and replacement than on an Aluminum unit.

Overall, I would go with another Airstream motor home if I could find an aluminum one.

Hope this was helpful. Good luck and have fun searching! Then remember to come back here with any questions and all the pictures you have! We love pictures!!!!
I noted your comment regarding a Secretarial Service in Ohio that has manuals for AS LY. You referred to getting their contact info on this forum, However I have not been successful in locating that information. Do you have any more specific contact info for the company or location on the AS forum site? Please excuse my lack of expertise navigating the forum, however I am up to using three fingers to type!
Old 12-29-2014, 09:44 PM   #8
Pet Sitter Extraordinaire

1975 27' Overlander
Chattanooga , Tennessee
Owner's Manuals

Good for you! 3 fingers to type!!! That is great! Just saw this. Below is the info:

Secretarial Services
P.O. Box 484
Sidney, OH 45365
937-492-8885

If they do not have originals, they have copies. Good luck!

Air #2757
1989 SquareStream (Annie #8)
kposey is offline   Reply With Quote