Old 07-08-2012, 08:02 AM   #29
Streamin'

1995 30' Cutter Bus LE
Madison , South Dakota
My thanks to Ziggy! I appreciate you guys taking the time for this.

Looking at my options, I have a third (I think...)

1 - swap out the 4KW genset,
I don't want to throw another 2 or 3 thousand dollars at this just to get the second air conditioner to run a couple of times a year.

2 - continue using the 30-amp 115-volt genset, and add the additional 20-amp leg to the shore power

I think I will try a variation of this idea.

I am thinking a second shore power cable from the 20 amp outlet on the site pedestal to the old G2 circuit from the old generator. (I wonder what Ziggy would think of that.)

As far as going back to Cummins and raising royal hell;

I have tried that a couple of times, like when it took over a month to get the new generator installed and when the muffler on the new generator blew out.

I think my time would be better spent talking to my dog about the situation.

And just for clarification, our rig is gas powered and so is the generator.

Thanks again guys!

Old 07-08-2012, 11:50 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
Bill, if you are going to add that 20-amp leg, you will need to modify the circuit like Ziggy suggested. You *absolutely* need to add the contact relay to prevent an inadvertent short that could destroy your coach. As well, you will need to have a 4-wire (eg "50 amp" shore line - actually it's a 30-amp 230 volt line).

As for raising hell, you may want to ask a local attorney for his take on it - you may have a case for damages. If this is so, the Cummins/Onan dealer may opt for the less expensive route of fixing up your old genset and restoring what you had, particularly if they still have the old unit.

Hope you can get it to together.

1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 07:28 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
They kept your generator and gave you nothing? That shows you that they thought your original genset had value. My bet is that they'll repair it and resell it to someone else. Too bad since these generators are so easy to diagnose and repair.
Old 09-17-2012, 03:18 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member

Your friend from MIT in Montreal

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkmagikca View Post
It is not that simple. When I had a 34 ft LY, we did a major rewiring to change the shore power from 30-amp (110 v @ 30 amp) to 50-amp (220 v 1@30amp 1@20amp). This required rewiring the two transfer switches into what was basically one housed in 2 boxes as well as a new shore power cable that has an extra wire in it (from 3-wire to 4-wire). Once done it worked well.

I would caution anyone undertaking this project to be *VERY* well versed in electricity - either as an engineer or electrician. Mine was done by a friend who is an electronics/electrician graduate from the Montreal Institute of Technology. Before undertaking the rewiring, he discussed the circuits and his proposed modifications with CSA (the Canadian equivalent of UL).

I had, some time ago, posted the final circuit diagram to do this on this forum. Pay careful attention to the placement of the time delay relays, as improper placement in the circuit can cause serious damage to the electrical/electronic components of the coach.
I graduated from Montreal Institute of Technology the last year they existed in 1959 and was wondering if I know who your friend is? Can you tell me his name and the year he graduated? I am getting ready to do similar modification to my 94 34 foot LY. Thanks
Old 09-18-2012, 05:00 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchBern View Post
I graduated from Montreal Institute of Technology the last year they existed in 1959 and was wondering if I know who your friend is? Can you tell me his name and the year he graduated? I am getting ready to do similar modification to my 94 34 foot LY. Thanks
PM'ed you with the info.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 06:52 AM   #34
2 Rivet Member

2004 30' Land Yacht Gas 30
Clearwater , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstream12557 View Post
In my 2004 Land Yacht 30 ft w/slide, I was told by the factory that the transfer switch is in the rear trunk on the right hand side behind a panel. I just found that out this past Monday at Jackson Center, but haven't had tome to check it out. I want to find the box and attempt to add a second 20 amp service cord to run the rear AC while the front AC is running off the 30 amp service.
Did you ever add a second line to run the rear ac and the front? I live and camp in Florida and in summer I really enjoy running both AC units from shore power. Most campgrounds have a 30 amp and a 50 amp. I plug into both using the 50 amp for the rear AC unit. It works very well.