Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2012, 09:27 AM   #1
RAG
3 Rivet Member

2004 30' Land Yacht Gas 30
Canadensis , Pennsylvania
'04 LY Leveling Jacks Stopped Working

Our '04 Land Yacht's leveling jacks dash pad won't turn on. With both chassis and coach battery switches in the "on" position and the ignition switch in the "run" position, the dash pad's light won't come on. The jacks were last used in early December without a problem.

Any thoughts would sure be appreciated.......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0272.JPG
Views:	173
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	154277  
RAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 09:44 AM   #2
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Power Gear have updated their site. Lots of information there.
Power Gear - Advanced Actuation Solutions for RVs

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAG View Post
Our '04 Land Yacht's leveling jacks dash pad won't turn on. With both chassis and coach battery switches in the "on" position and the ignition switch in the "run" position, the dash pad's light won't come on. The jacks were last used in early December without a problem.

Any thoughts would sure be appreciated.......
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 10:12 AM   #3
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Well, this may seem like a silly suggestion, but did you check the fuse?

ps: nice site, the Power Gear one!
Old 03-25-2012, 10:27 AM   #4
RAG
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Well, this may seem like a silly suggestion, but did you check the fuse?
The only fuse I could find in the Airstream manual was for the jack alarm and that appeared good.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:52 AM   #5
RAG
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by masseyfarm View Post
Power Gear have updated their site. Lots of information there.
Power Gear - Advanced Actuation Solutions for RVsDave
The site looks good, but info on older units is lacking; unless you have an '05 or newer Winnebago.

I would have thought there'd be a fuse listed in the Airstream manual specifically for the jacks, as in '04 they were standard equipment.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:07 AM   #6
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
My Clipper will be different than your unit.

On the Clipper there is a fuse on the chassis safety circuit, located at the chassis battery compartment. This controls the safety override on the legs so that, when/if you put it in gear, the legs raise by default.

The control/brain box of the Power Gear System is located in the main basement, mounted on the ceiling of the compartment, forward of the fresh water tank, between the frame rails. It contains about 6 or 7 blade type fuses.

You will have to determine where you have power and go from there. Chances are you have disturbed the wire under the dash.

There also may be an "AUX" fuse in you main chassis fuse panel that may supply power to the circuit.

Dave

Quote:
The site looks good, but info on older units is lacking; unless you have an '05 or newer Winnebago.

I would have thought there'd be a fuse listed in the Airstream manual specifically for the jacks, as in '04 they were standard equipment.
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 04:16 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Evansville , Indiana
Another condition that has to be met for the leveling jacks to work is that the Parking Brake on the dash has to be pulled out (activated) for the jacks to work. Just a thought.

Sam
Airstream12557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 04:21 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Evansville , Indiana
Also, I always have my motor running when I activate the jacks. I don't think I have tried it with the ignition key on, but motor not running. In summary, when I operate my leveling jacks, I start the engine, pull out the dash brake switch, then push the "on" button on the Power Gear panel.
Old 03-28-2012, 07:29 AM   #9
RAG
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstream12557 View Post
Also, I always have my motor running when I activate the jacks. I don't think I have tried it with the ignition key on, but motor not running. In summary, when I operate my leveling jacks, I start the engine, pull out the dash brake switch, then push the "on" button on the Power Gear panel.
Sam, I've tried with ignition in the "run" position, as the manual states, but also with the engine running; and nothing. Since the emergency brake is self actuating, I don't think I tried it with the dash brake switch pulled out. I will do that this afternoon; thanks for the thought.
Old 03-28-2012, 12:19 PM   #10
RAG
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Sam, I've tried with ignition in the "run" position, as the manual states, but also with the engine running; and nothing. Since the emergency brake is self actuating, I don't think I tried it with the dash brake switch pulled out. I will do that this afternoon; thanks for the thought.
Sam, I have to hand you this one on a Silver Platter! I pulled out the dash brake switch, and sure enough, that little green light came on; oh, what a beautiful and money saving sight! Thanks Sam, you really saved my butt on this one. The engine doesn't have to be running, just the ignition in the "run" position, but even though the parking brake is automatically engaged in Park and Neutral, the dash switch still has to be pulled out manually.

Thanks to everyone!!!
Old 03-29-2012, 04:25 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Evansville , Indiana
RAG, glad I could help. I learned my lesson when I got our rig home after we had purchased it used in Arkansas in 2009. The dealer went over all the systems and I felt comfortable. When we got home, I wanted to try everything, but I couldn't get the jacks to work. I read all the manuals, but they didn't help. I called the dealer and he told me the procedure.

See you down the road.

Sam