Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2012, 06:12 AM   #1
RAG
3 Rivet Member

2004 30' Land Yacht Gas 30
Canadensis , Pennsylvania
'04 Land Yacht MH Water Pump Problem

Hi Folks,

I’m not sure if I should be posting this question here or in general plumbing, but here goes. Our last outing was for a near month and we encountered a first time problem with the DC water pump. When a water faucet is first opened, water pressure is fine, pump kicks in, but it VERY quickly fades to about ⅓ of proper pressure. When the faucet is closed, the pump continues to run, builds pressure and shuts off, but it seems to take longer to build that pressure and shut off then previously. By the pump turning off and remaining off, I’m assuming there are no leaks.

The unit is a 2004 Land Yacht 30 Non-Slide Motorhome

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards and safe travel to all….

Randy
RAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:41 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1993 33' Land Yacht
Midland , Michigan
Check your water filter, it may be plugged enough to block free water flow.

https://s1290.photobucket.com/user/gl...58808196506793
gloran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 10:23 PM   #3
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Gloran is probably right.

There is a filter at the pump suction side that should be serviced every year. If the pressure problem is at all taps, this is probably where the restriction is.

If it is just at the sink, and the bath taps run OK, then it is the screen at the sink that is clogged and needs to be removed and cleaned. The pump should run normal if this was the case, so the pump filter is your first area to inspect.

Dave
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 06:54 AM   #4
RAG
3 Rivet Member

gloran & Dave,

If you're speaking of the round metal screen inside the clear plastic bubble, I cleaned that and refilled the tank with fresh water in early May of this year. Could it be clogged again? It's possible and I will pull the bed panel to check, but the water in the holding tank still reads as 3/4 full because we don't use it often; only while on the road from one campground to another.

The pressure problem is the same in both sinks, the head and the shower.

Can air be trapped somewhere? I've let the pump run water through the system for at least 30 minutes total in an attempt to clear any air; not all at once, of course.
Old 08-06-2012, 05:31 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1993 33' Land Yacht
Midland , Michigan
That was the filter I was referring to. You may have a internal pump problem. In your Airstream owners manual in the plumbing section on water pumps (in my manual) it gives some susgestions on trouble shooting to tell if the problem is the pump. But check the filter again and maybe the venting of FW tank.

https://s1290.photobucket.com/user/gl...58808196506793
gloran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:29 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
1965 24' Tradewind
2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Zeigler , Illinois
Randy, is your pump an Aquajet ES? That's what I have in my 2005 Land Yacht, and it wasn't pumping at all - just humming - when we recently bought the coach.

I spoke just this afternoon with tech support at Aquatec. Apparently the early generation of this pump was very sensitive to low voltage conditions, which messed with the controller, sometime to the point of failure. I don't know if this might be your issue, but tech support was very helpful in diagnosing my situation - not to the point of offering a new pump, but hey...

Their phone number is 949-225-2200 (Irvine, CA). The current replacement for my pump is 55-AQUAJET-AES and is supposed to have a different (and better, I hope) controller.

Good luck and safe travels.
Marion
retronotold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:00 PM   #7
RAG
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retronotold View Post
Randy, is your pump an Aquajet ES? That's what I have in my 2005 Land Yacht, and it wasn't pumping at all - just humming - when we recently bought the coach.

I spoke just this afternoon with tech support at Aquatec. Apparently the early generation of this pump was very sensitive to low voltage conditions, which messed with the controller, sometime to the point of failure. I don't know if this might be your issue, but tech support was very helpful in diagnosing my situation - not to the point of offering a new pump, but hey...

Their phone number is 949-225-2200 (Irvine, CA). The current replacement for my pump is 55-AQUAJET-AES and is supposed to have a different (and better, I hope) controller.

Marion
Marion:

GREAT, albeit disturbing, INFO!!!

I was hoping for a fix, but if replacement is the only way to go, you do it. Did they happen to give you a price on the 55-AQUAJET-AES or say what voltage is required to operate the current ES model? Is my photo below the same as yours?

Thanks again for the info...
Randy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0382.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	147.0 KB
ID:	165032  
Old 08-06-2012, 08:36 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
1965 24' Tradewind
Zeigler , Illinois
Randy, your picture could have been taken in my coach.

I spoke with Bill at Aquatec - the tech support option on the phone message gets you right to him. I strongly suggest you talk with him before you pull the trigger on a new one. He indicated that if it is a low voltage problem but is caught early enough, it might be fixable. Unfortunately, mine was shot. He also said the new one is basically a plug and play, down to the size of the unit and the fittings. The difference is that the revised controller is integrated into the base on the new one, rather on the end as shown in your photo.

I have looked on line at prices - lowest I have found is $145 to $150.

Marion
Old 08-06-2012, 08:44 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Oakland County , Michigan
We also have a 2005 LYG 30 SO. One of the first things I did to it was replace the water pump. I didn't care for how loud the original one was. Replaced it with a Sensor VSD 4.5 gpm and have been very pleased. No water hammer, less noise.
Michigan
Michigander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:53 PM   #10
RAG
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retronotold View Post
Randy, your picture could have been taken in my coach.

I spoke with Bill at Aquatec - the tech support option on the phone message gets you right to him. I strongly suggest you talk with him before you pull the trigger on a new one. He indicated that if it is a low voltage problem but is caught early enough, it might be fixable. Unfortunately, mine was shot. He also said the new one is basically a plug and play, down to the size of the unit and the fittings. The difference is that the revised controller is integrated into the base on the new one, rather on the end as shown in your photo.

I have looked on line at prices - lowest I have found is $145 to $150.

Marion
I'll put a volt meter on the pump tomorrow, and then give Aquatec a call.
Again, thanks...
Randy
Old 08-06-2012, 09:47 PM   #11
RAG
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigander View Post
We also have a 2005 LYG 30 SO. One of the first things I did to it was replace the water pump. I didn't care for how loud the original one was. Replaced it with a Sensor VSD 4.5 gpm and have been very pleased. No water hammer, less noise.
Michigander: Was the Sensor VSD 4.5 gpm a simple R&R, or did it require plumbing changes? Do you remember the price?

Thanks for helping out...

Randy
Old 08-06-2012, 10:08 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
1965 24' Tradewind
Zeigler , Illinois
Quote:
Michigander, I am also interested in your swap. Did you have the Aquajet pump initially? As I said above, the pump in our coach was not working when we got it, so we have no experience as to its noise level. I think I will look into the Sensor VSD - less noise is good...

Safe travels,
Marion
Old 08-07-2012, 03:53 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Water pump swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAG View Post
Michigander: Was the Sensor VSD 4.5 gpm a simple R&R, or did it require plumbing changes? Do you remember the price?

Thanks for helping out...

Randy
The original pump was an Aquajet ES. I still have it, and yes, it was an easy swap.

I did use the new fittings that came with the Sensor VSD 4.5 gpm pump.

Also, I placed it onto 4 layers of soft kneeling pad material and added extra hose to further quiet it down. Will try to remember to post a photo later.

I believe it cost about $150.00 back in 2007, will check the receipt next time I go see the MH.

Last summer I ran it dry for about 3 1/2 hours one day, (not on purpose!)was really worried about it, but it still runs great.
Michigan
Old 08-07-2012, 06:13 PM   #14
RAG
3 Rivet Member

"Humble Pie"

It is with a wounded ego, but a very happy wallet, I can state that I should have checked the fresh water pump filter first; it now works great…... again. Usually, I ass-u-me nothing, but I blew here, big time. I thought the early May cleaning should have been enough, but obviously, I have another issue; a fresh water tank with crud on the bottom that needs attention. Any ideas on cleaning?

Messrs. gloran & masseyfarm had it right from the gitgo, I should have listened…... sooner. Thanks!

Randy

p.s. Good luck retronotold, hope the fix is easy!
Old 08-07-2012, 07:20 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
1965 24' Tradewind
Zeigler , Illinois
Thanks, Randy. Glad your situation is so easily addressed. My fix is indeed easy - new pump!

I ordered the Sensor VSD 4.5 gpm (thanks for the review, Michigander!) today. On backorder for a couple of weeks, but will hopefully be delivered in time for our fall trip to Nova Scotia in a month.

Safe travels,
Marion
Old 08-07-2012, 08:42 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Hello Marion,

So, what is the VSD going for these days?

Bob
Michigan
Old 08-07-2012, 08:55 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
1965 24' Tradewind
Zeigler , Illinois
188 bucks, free shipping, from Camping World. Interestingly, the 3.7 gpm was $11 more, even though at regular price the 3.7 was less than the 4.5. Go figure...

Safe travels,
Marion
Old 08-08-2012, 03:48 AM   #18
Rivet Master

Marion,
Thanks for the follow up, and good luck with your installation.

Randy,
Good job on the troubleshooting, and keep in mind that I have an ES in my attic in case you ever wanted to pick up another one.

Bob
Michigan
Old 08-08-2012, 06:11 AM   #19
RAG
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Randy,
Good job on the troubleshooting, and keep in mind that I have an ES in my attic in case you ever wanted to pick up another one.

Bob
Bob,

I do hope I won't have a need to take you up on the ES offer, but it's good to know and the "sound" of the Aquatec doesn't bother me. I consider it "audible confirmation" of it functioning properly; how's that for positive spin on a negative feature...

Randy