Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-05-2012, 07:12 AM   #1
RAG
3 Rivet Member
 
RAG's Avatar
 
2004 30' Land Yacht Gas 30
Canadensis , Pennsylvania
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 167
Images: 17
'04 Land Yacht MH Water Pump Problem

Hi Folks,

Iím not sure if I should be posting this question here or in general plumbing, but here goes. Our last outing was for a near month and we encountered a first time problem with the DC water pump. When a water faucet is first opened, water pressure is fine, pump kicks in, but it VERY quickly fades to about ⅓ of proper pressure. When the faucet is closed, the pump continues to run, builds pressure and shuts off, but it seems to take longer to build that pressure and shut off then previously. By the pump turning off and remaining off, Iím assuming there are no leaks.

The unit is a 2004 Land Yacht 30 Non-Slide Motorhome

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards and safe travel to allÖ.

Randy
__________________

__________________
RAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 10:41 PM   #2
Rivet Master
 
gloran's Avatar
 
1993 33' Land Yacht
Midland , Michigan
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 501
Check your water filter, it may be plugged enough to block free water flow.
__________________

__________________
gloran - 1993 LY MH 33' - Banks System, Steer Safe, IPD front stabilizer, Super Steer - Bell Cranks, Motion Control, Coil

http://s1290.photobucket.com/user/gl...58808196506793
gloran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 11:23 PM   #3
65th Anniversary CLIPPER
 
masseyfarm's Avatar

 
1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,271
Images: 55
Gloran is probably right.

There is a filter at the pump suction side that should be serviced every year. If the pressure problem is at all taps, this is probably where the restriction is.

If it is just at the sink, and the bath taps run OK, then it is the screen at the sink that is clogged and needs to be removed and cleaned. The pump should run normal if this was the case, so the pump filter is your first area to inspect.

Dave
__________________
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:54 AM   #4
RAG
3 Rivet Member
 
RAG's Avatar
 
2004 30' Land Yacht Gas 30
Canadensis , Pennsylvania
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 167
Images: 17
gloran & Dave,

If you're speaking of the round metal screen inside the clear plastic bubble, I cleaned that and refilled the tank with fresh water in early May of this year. Could it be clogged again? It's possible and I will pull the bed panel to check, but the water in the holding tank still reads as 3/4 full because we don't use it often; only while on the road from one campground to another.

The pressure problem is the same in both sinks, the head and the shower.

Can air be trapped somewhere? I've let the pump run water through the system for at least 30 minutes total in an attempt to clear any air; not all at once, of course.
__________________
RAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 06:31 PM   #5
Rivet Master
 
gloran's Avatar
 
1993 33' Land Yacht
Midland , Michigan
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 501
That was the filter I was referring to. You may have a internal pump problem. In your Airstream owners manual in the plumbing section on water pumps (in my manual) it gives some susgestions on trouble shooting to tell if the problem is the pump. But check the filter again and maybe the venting of FW tank.
__________________
gloran - 1993 LY MH 33' - Banks System, Steer Safe, IPD front stabilizer, Super Steer - Bell Cranks, Motion Control, Coil

http://s1290.photobucket.com/user/gl...58808196506793
gloran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:29 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member
 
retronotold's Avatar
 
1965 17' Caravel
1965 24' Tradewind
2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Zeigler , Illinois
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 41
Randy, is your pump an Aquajet ES? That's what I have in my 2005 Land Yacht, and it wasn't pumping at all - just humming - when we recently bought the coach.

I spoke just this afternoon with tech support at Aquatec. Apparently the early generation of this pump was very sensitive to low voltage conditions, which messed with the controller, sometime to the point of failure. I don't know if this might be your issue, but tech support was very helpful in diagnosing my situation - not to the point of offering a new pump, but hey...

Their phone number is 949-225-2200 (Irvine, CA). The current replacement for my pump is 55-AQUAJET-AES and is supposed to have a different (and better, I hope) controller.

Good luck and safe travels.
Marion
__________________
retronotold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:00 PM   #7
RAG
3 Rivet Member
 
RAG's Avatar
 
2004 30' Land Yacht Gas 30
Canadensis , Pennsylvania
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 167
Images: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by retronotold View Post
Randy, is your pump an Aquajet ES? That's what I have in my 2005 Land Yacht, and it wasn't pumping at all - just humming - when we recently bought the coach.

I spoke just this afternoon with tech support at Aquatec. Apparently the early generation of this pump was very sensitive to low voltage conditions, which messed with the controller, sometime to the point of failure. I don't know if this might be your issue, but tech support was very helpful in diagnosing my situation - not to the point of offering a new pump, but hey...

Their phone number is 949-225-2200 (Irvine, CA). The current replacement for my pump is 55-AQUAJET-AES and is supposed to have a different (and better, I hope) controller.

Good luck and safe travels.
Marion
Marion:

GREAT, albeit disturbing, INFO!!!

I was hoping for a fix, but if replacement is the only way to go, you do it. Did they happen to give you a price on the 55-AQUAJET-AES or say what voltage is required to operate the current ES model? Is my photo below the same as yours?

Thanks again for the info...
Randy
.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0382.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	147.0 KB
ID:	165032  
__________________
RAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:36 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member
 
retronotold's Avatar
 
1965 17' Caravel
1965 24' Tradewind
2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Zeigler , Illinois
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 41
Randy, your picture could have been taken in my coach.

I spoke with Bill at Aquatec - the tech support option on the phone message gets you right to him. I strongly suggest you talk with him before you pull the trigger on a new one. He indicated that if it is a low voltage problem but is caught early enough, it might be fixable. Unfortunately, mine was shot. He also said the new one is basically a plug and play, down to the size of the unit and the fittings. The difference is that the revised controller is integrated into the base on the new one, rather on the end as shown in your photo.

I have looked on line at prices - lowest I have found is $145 to $150.

Good luck and safe travels.
Marion
__________________
retronotold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:44 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member
 
Michigander's Avatar
 
2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Oakland County , Michigan
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 491
We also have a 2005 LYG 30 SO. One of the first things I did to it was replace the water pump. I didn't care for how loud the original one was. Replaced it with a Sensor VSD 4.5 gpm and have been very pleased. No water hammer, less noise.
__________________
Bob & Nancy
2005 ASLYG 30 SO
2009 Wrangler Toad
Michigan
Michigander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:53 PM   #10
RAG
3 Rivet Member
 
RAG's Avatar
 
2004 30' Land Yacht Gas 30
Canadensis , Pennsylvania
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 167
Images: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by retronotold View Post
Randy, your picture could have been taken in my coach.

I spoke with Bill at Aquatec - the tech support option on the phone message gets you right to him. I strongly suggest you talk with him before you pull the trigger on a new one. He indicated that if it is a low voltage problem but is caught early enough, it might be fixable. Unfortunately, mine was shot. He also said the new one is basically a plug and play, down to the size of the unit and the fittings. The difference is that the revised controller is integrated into the base on the new one, rather on the end as shown in your photo.

I have looked on line at prices - lowest I have found is $145 to $150.

Good luck and safe travels.
Marion
I'll put a volt meter on the pump tomorrow, and then give Aquatec a call.
Again, thanks...
Randy
__________________
RAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 10:47 PM   #11
RAG
3 Rivet Member
 
RAG's Avatar
 
2004 30' Land Yacht Gas 30
Canadensis , Pennsylvania
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 167
Images: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigander View Post
We also have a 2005 LYG 30 SO. One of the first things I did to it was replace the water pump. I didn't care for how loud the original one was. Replaced it with a Sensor VSD 4.5 gpm and have been very pleased. No water hammer, less noise.
Michigander: Was the Sensor VSD 4.5 gpm a simple R&R, or did it require plumbing changes? Do you remember the price?

Thanks for helping out...

Randy
__________________
RAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 11:08 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member
 
retronotold's Avatar
 
1965 17' Caravel
1965 24' Tradewind
2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Zeigler , Illinois
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigander View Post
We also have a 2005 LYG 30 SO. One of the first things I did to it was replace the water pump. I didn't care for how loud the original one was. Replaced it with a Sensor VSD 4.5 gpm and have been very pleased. No water hammer, less noise.
Michigander, I am also interested in your swap. Did you have the Aquajet pump initially? As I said above, the pump in our coach was not working when we got it, so we have no experience as to its noise level. I think I will look into the Sensor VSD - less noise is good...

Safe travels,
Marion
__________________
retronotold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 04:53 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member
 
Michigander's Avatar
 
2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Oakland County , Michigan
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 491
Water pump swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAG View Post
Michigander: Was the Sensor VSD 4.5 gpm a simple R&R, or did it require plumbing changes? Do you remember the price?

Thanks for helping out...

Randy
The original pump was an Aquajet ES. I still have it, and yes, it was an easy swap.

I did use the new fittings that came with the Sensor VSD 4.5 gpm pump.

Also, I placed it onto 4 layers of soft kneeling pad material and added extra hose to further quiet it down. Will try to remember to post a photo later.

I believe it cost about $150.00 back in 2007, will check the receipt next time I go see the MH.

Last summer I ran it dry for about 3 1/2 hours one day, (not on purpose!)was really worried about it, but it still runs great.
__________________
Bob & Nancy
2005 ASLYG 30 SO
2009 Wrangler Toad
Michigan
Michigander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:13 PM   #14
RAG
3 Rivet Member
 
RAG's Avatar
 
2004 30' Land Yacht Gas 30
Canadensis , Pennsylvania
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 167
Images: 17
"Humble Pie"

It is with a wounded ego, but a very happy wallet, I can state that I should have checked the fresh water pump filter first; it now works great…... again. Usually, I ass-u-me nothing, but I blew here, big time. I thought the early May cleaning should have been enough, but obviously, I have another issue; a fresh water tank with crud on the bottom that needs attention. Any ideas on cleaning?

Messrs. gloran & masseyfarm had it right from the gitgo, I should have listened…... sooner. Thanks!

Best regards and safe travel to all….

Randy

p.s. Good luck retronotold, hope the fix is easy!
__________________

__________________
RAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.