Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2011, 11:14 AM   #1
RAG
3 Rivet Member

2004 30' Land Yacht Gas 30
Canadensis , Pennsylvania
'04 Land Yacht 30 Passenger Seat Won't Swivel

This one has me stumped. Before I pull the 5 bolts that hold the co-pilot seat in, I thought I’d throw it out to the group.

The black plastic lever on the left side of the non-electric co-pilot chair skirt, is hooked-up and adjusted correctly. It pulls the lever under the chair, to pull the hook out from the locking notch, just as it should. I’ve also manually pulled the lever under the chair back as far as it will go with my hand, and still the chair won’t turn. No amount of pushing or shoving seems to make a difference.

Any thoughts? Am I missing something? The pilot side chair releases and turns as it should; go figure…….
RAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 11:28 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

, OH
a small lever on the side of the chair (side toward driver) releases the chair to rotate.
Old 12-04-2011, 11:52 AM   #3
RAG
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loreepeter View Post
a small lever on the side of the chair (side toward driver) releases the chair to rotate.
If you're speaking of the 2 black levers on the side of the chair (see below); one reclines the seat and the other *should* swivel the chair, that's the one I'm referring to in my original question. It won't release the chair.

I realize the photo below is the driver chair, I don't have a pic of the passenger chair.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AIRSTREAM 006.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	146479  
Old 12-04-2011, 12:58 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
[QUOTE=RAG;1079548] the other *should* swivel the chair, that's the one I'm referring to in my original question. It won't release the chair.

QUOTE]

If lever is doing its job it releases a cog, however the chair monkey at AS makes sure you don't get a loose feeling while riding down the road. He tightens the crown nut located in the center of the seat. Put your hand carefully under the seat, reach to the middle and you should be able to feel it. I think it is bigger than 3/4, hardest part is removing the cotter pin, it only takes a quarter turn counter clockwise to have a swiveling seat, once you lift the lever.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 01:20 PM   #5
RAG
3 Rivet Member

QUOTE]If lever is doing its job it releases a cog, however the chair monkey at AS makes sure you don't get a loose feeling while riding down the road. He tightens the crown nut located in the center of the seat. Put your hand carefully under the seat, reach to the middle and you should be able to feel it. I think it is bigger than 3/4, hardest part is removing the cotter pin, it only takes a quarter turn counter clockwise to have a swiveling seat, once you lift the lever.
[/QUOTE]

Makes perfect sense; I already felt the crown nut you speak of and will give it a try first thing tomorrow. Thanks!
Old 12-05-2011, 12:08 PM   #6
RAG
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAG View Post
QUOTE]Makes perfect sense; I already felt the crown nut you speak of and will give it a try first thing tomorrow. Thanks!
It seems the previous owner (also original owner) may have attempted to loosen the crown nut without first removing the cotter pin. Broken remnants of the loop and tail pieces of the cotter pin were lying in the well of the seat-base and the middle section was still in place and facing a direction which did not allow for drift placement to tap it through. It took a 3/4" socket, a breaker bar and leg power to snap the small remaining pieces of the pin. The seat now swivels as it should.

Job done, thanks for your help!