Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2013, 04:08 PM   #1

Paso Robles , California
wow info overload/Classic info wanted

Losing my home to probate sale - and don't know where to go. Looking at buying the most tricked out Tahoe I can find and a 27' Classic FB. Then finding parks where I can mostly just stay (have 3 dogs).

Is this a good idea or should I buy a cheap house? Help!
SterlingSRCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:34 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
My initial reaction / question would relate to how much prior RV experience do you have?

If you are buying truck and trailer brand new - and it sounds like that might be your plan - and if you find out after 6 months that it just isn;t for you, then you will lose a bundle on the brief experience!

Even if you have some RV experience, full timing could well be a whole different thing - some folk love it, others not!

Maybe best to start out with an inexpensive used RV and tow vehicle and plan on keeping it for the first year or so unti you are sure the lifestyle is for you?

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:48 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Dogs in Parks

I would think three dogs in a trailer would be issue enough but you will also need to consider if any trailer park will allow them. Many won't if you are staying short term and long term can be worse. The other issue is what will you be best with ( to start ) after the sale of your current home. Perhaps a smaller home (even a rental) to see if you and the dogs can live smaller together. Remember they have to get used to different surroundings too! You could try to rent an Airstream and try it out at a local park for a few weeks to see how this works ( for the group of you ) to be in a trailer. Hope you can work this out. Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:23 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
For serial long-term stays you might want to consider some other brand of el cheapo trailer, at least to start. A new TV and Airstream is a huge pile of loot to spend on a lifestyle you haven't tried.

Most RV parks, including the majority of state parks, that I've encountered limit you to two pets. Might complicate things...

Mike
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:35 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
Come to the middle of America. Get out of California.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:51 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
If yer gonna jump, use both feet...yep. I think Airstream is the way to go, and I'm certainly biased...Arizona has some interesting options for RV's...a place to park the RV next to a pre-fab...relatively certain, also, that other states offer similar places...A year's lease is cheaper than you might think, and the wander-wonder of BLM/NPS land is 14 days, but then you might want to invest in solar supplements or a Honda 2,000...there is NO one way to describe the RV experience, but there are forums out the wazoo to describe them...m
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:07 AM   #7

Paso Robles , California
Thanks all of you - you all gave pertinent useful advice. I'm flip-flopping back and forth. Do I want to be permanently stuck in one place (house) or pulling/living in a TT for the first time in my life? I'm a 66 year old woman can I even do that? Is it allowed? LOL
SterlingSRCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:41 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Two thoughts:
1. Most RV parks have a two-dog limit. If we had three, we could not be here in this RV resort in AZ for the winter.
2. Airstreams are the world's greatest "travel" trailer. They are optimized for towing and sub-optimized for full-timing.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote