Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2012, 12:00 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1979 28' Airstream Excella 28
Cedar City , Utah
Wiring Diagrams Desperately Needed

Issue: Alternator not charging. I've tried several iterations without success. My coach is a 79 but the engine is a 90 454TBI 7l4L. At this point, I'd love to get my hands on any schematics from 79 and newer or to know where I can find them. The alternator is a Delco Remy 1101138 100 amp that can accomodate up to four wires on the plug. Tested it at AutoZone and O'Reilly's and checks out fine. There is a remote starter solenoid (Ford) and a 100 amp battery isolator with four terminals, i.e., Batteries 1&2, Alternator and Excitation terminals. I'm beginning to think I need to add an alternator indicator lamp to start the alternator. Thought I could do this by having the I (wire) go to the ignition but no joy! Unfortunately, people where I live who could offer assistance. I just love to see anything out there that I can compare and work will have to stop when the cold weather arrives. Please help if you can.

Mary
marydixon555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:43 AM   #2
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
I have them all, plus the location of 2 fusible links. Send me your email via pm and I will forward them to you. They are to big to post here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fusiblelinks.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	163797  
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 05:28 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Cedar City , Utah
Thank you Peter! The alternator is charging and I haven't burned down the neighborhood. -Mary
Old 07-26-2012, 06:02 PM   #4
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by marydixon555 View Post
Thank you Peter! The alternator is charging and I haven't burned down the neighborhood. -Mary
Big Congrats, can you share with us what was wrong?
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 03:30 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Cedar City , Utah
Without going into too much detail, my alternator needed to sense current before it could begin charging. According to the manufacturer's information, my alternator plug has four wires but only two are required as in my case. The larger wire (sense) must be connected where it will register a current when the vehicle is started for the alternator to begin charging. I found an ideal location efficiently located about 5 inches away and connected it to the lower large remote starter solenoid where the positive wire from the starter attaches.

My fuse panel is not original and is a circuit board made by Centech but the smaller "I" ignition wire goes to my "gen lamp" circuit on the fuse panel.

The 100 amp alternator caused my previous battery isolator to fail because it was not rated for quite such high amperage. It did last a long time though. The new isolator has a fourth terminal called the "excitation" terminal and requires a wire from the ignition switch "run side" to sense the current and begin working similar to the alternator.

My alternator is obsolete and has been replaced with a 105 amp model but the one I have is fine until that day comes!

Thanks for all the help! Special thanks to you Peter.