Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-27-2012, 12:25 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1979 28' Airstream Excella 28
Cedar City , Utah
Thumbs up Wiper Motor Wiring

I'm ready to wire the new Wexco H131 Wiper Motors which have five colored wires and need to know if anyone has information on the significance of each. The colors are green, red, black, blue & brown and I assume red and black are positive and ground but don't want to proceed upon any assumptions. The original motors were red, black & green. I'll be using a CT42 (double motor intelligent) switch which will join and synchronize both motors and will incorporate high, low & three intermittent speeds, park and wash. Expensive switch! Anyone familiar with these motors? I appreciate any help and especially welcome product information, diagrams and/or schematics. Thanks, Mary
marydixon555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 12:26 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by marydixon555 View Post
I'm ready to wire the new Wexco H131 Wiper Motors which have five colored wires and need to know if anyone has information on the significance of each. The colors are green, red, black, blue & brown and I assume red and black are positive and ground but don't want to proceed upon any assumptions. The original motors were red, black & green. I'll be using a CT42 (double motor intelligent) switch which will join and synchronize both motors and will incorporate high, low & three intermittent speeds, park and wash. Expensive switch! Anyone familiar with these motors? I appreciate any help and especially welcome product information, diagrams and/or schematics. Thanks, Mary
Mary I can't be sure about the wexco motor however here is the wire function for a coast to park and dynamic park motor at AM Equipment. http://www.amequipment.com/PDFFiles/801-1056.pdf Maybe you can get enough info to figure out how your motor works. There is a lot of info on the AM site if you look around.

When I lost a wiper motor on a rainy Friday afternoon the only thing I could find that would fit in the mount was a dynamic park, mine was a coast to park. I disconnected the park wire and was able to use the wiper and switched it off at bottom of it's stroke.

Good luck, Dan
Smartstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 08:46 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Cedar City , Utah
Dan, I appreciate the information as it does help me to riddle things out. My wiring is different but I have determined the brown (of all things) simply goes to the case and is therefore a ground wire. If I don't hear from someone having one of these motors, I'll make a tester using a flashlight type light-bulb now that I know what the ground it and see what the other wires do. I'll post my findings but hope I hear from someone with the wexco motor. Again, thank you.
Old 07-28-2012, 09:56 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Cedar City , Utah
Okay, a new day and a clear head! Hear is what I found and how I did it: The wire colors left to right are brown, blue, black, red and green. Seeing that the brown wire was grounded to the case I had somewhere to begin and connected an 18 gauge wire to the wiper 10 amp fuse on the panel. I grounded the brown wire to the coach frame near the wipers. Assuming the there was some degree of logic in the wiring, I figured the blue wire next to the ground was the positive (hot) so I began testing from right to left. The green is slow speed, the red fast and the black park. It's always a good day when one doesn't burn down the neighborhood or damage an expensive part. So, the Wexco H131 wiper motors I have are ready to be connected to the switch. Thank you Dan for your help! Mary
Old 07-28-2012, 10:34 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
Glad you got it figured out.
Smartstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 05:05 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Cedar City , Utah
Thanks! I hope this post will prove helpful to others facing this issue. I had to play around with the mechanical parts today for the correct sweep since all the parts are new. Turns out the center boxlike hole of each wiper driver arm is the right fit. Now to connect the CT42 Intelligent Switch (marine product) to synchronize the motors, employ the two speeds, three intermittent settings, park and washer motors; I have two, one for each side. One thing is certain, it is good to have people to rely on for "good" advice. -Mary
Old 07-28-2012, 05:19 PM   #7
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
It seems like your journey through uncharted territory is a success, congrats!
But now it probably will not rain for the next 6 month...
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 06:17 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Cedar City , Utah
No problem, I haven't had the coach on the road for a couple years except to start up or turn around in the parking spot. At least I can finish cleaning up any poorly designed or routed wiring before putting the radiator back. I'm toying with an idea to shorten the distance of the coach battery circuit. I'm taking photos and will post them later this year. Mary
Old 07-30-2012, 06:57 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Cedar City , Utah
Okay folks, the wiper motors and CT42 Intelligent Switch are installed and working! Great day to test things out with the continual moderate rain. This switch is pretty neat and allows the user to run either wiper or both together as well as high, slow and three intermediate speeds. I cannot figure out when I'd need to run the passenger side only but it does provide the option if you've jumped the pond and switched driver sides. I'm still dealing with the washer function but some soldering should resolve the connection issue. I guess the best thing is: This switch works with the motors Airstream sent me (Wexco H131). -Mary
Old 07-31-2012, 06:06 AM   #10
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Mary, were you able to use the existing linkage/wiper arms or did you have to reinvent all that too? I have seen on several Motorhomes that the linkage nut comes loose right at the wiper and it can be a potential dangerous situations.
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:35 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Cedar City , Utah
Peter, I had rebuilt the wiper arms and welded J hooks on them but decided I liked the new ones better because of the curve so everything is new except for the long arm to the driver's side wiper, which I sanded, painted and re-bent to form a better contact flow. So in a nutshell, it is a new system including two new reservoir tanks and pumps. A very expensive upgrade! It is awesome to see these wipers in action; the sweep is perfect and they park perfectly right at the top of the windscreen rubber seal. -Mary (I wouldn't have know where to buy the wiper drive arms or the new wiper arms without this forum)