Old 12-17-2012, 09:21 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Dan, thanks for the pictures. As they say a picture is worth a thousand words

The version you ended up with definitely appears to be the poorest design of the three designs that we know of.

As a followup to my post about the wiper switches in my Argosy I've uploaded a picture of the left side of my dash (no it's not pretty!) and the page from the owners manual describing the dash layout. As you can see the switches are nowhere close to being the same.

Click image for larger version

Name:	74-argosy-dash-left-side.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	323.7 KB
ID:	174804Click image for larger version

Name:	74-argosy-dash-description.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	182.1 KB
ID:	174805

The one thing I'm still wondering about is why Airstream moved the later drivers side wiper motors 1-3/4" towards the center as compared to the Argosies. Was it ease of maintenance? I doubt it. More than likely there were issues with the arm being mounted so far around the curve of the glass.

It seems to me they would have been better off mounting both of them in the center and have the wipers sweep in opposite directions. Just a thought.

Thanks!

Brad

bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 03:27 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
Yeah Airstream did a lot of unusual stuff. One reason I can think of for the change of location for the drivers wiper is the longer connecting links are not available in a lot of different lengths. I suspect they had to move it to be able to use an off the self link. Yes the center mount for both wipers would have been so simple and could have been done with one motor instead of two. I'm still scratching my head.

By the way if your wipers do not have an intermittent function, that switch is available and a great function to have.

Cheers, Dan

Old 12-17-2012, 05:41 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartstream View Post
...By the way if your wipers do not have an intermittent function, that switch is available and a great function to have.

Cheers, Dan
According to the knob on the dash it looks like it has an intermittent function. However since I've never had a battery in the coach to test things I don't know. But then again the wiper actuating assemblies are all busted up so the most I would see is the motor gearbox shaft turning

One of these days I'm going to have to isolate all of the loose wires and then hook up a battery. Gotta happen one of these days so maybe over the Christmas holidays

Brad
Old 12-22-2012, 06:08 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Well, I stand corrected on the number of wiper switches in my Argosy. I took a few minutes to look closer at the wiper and washer switches on the dash and realized that I really do have two separate wiper on/off switches. One switch is a two position (low speed, high speed) and the other switch is also a two position (low speed, high speed) but can be pushed in to activate the washer pump.

The knobs don't look anything alike. To top it off under the left switch it says Wiper and under the right switch it says Washer

I don't believe the Argosy wiper motors are the coast to park style but I'm not certain of that. When comparing the Argosy wiper motor to the 345 wiper motor the wiring is somewhat different. See attached pictures.

Click image for larger version

Name:	74-argosy-wiper-motor.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	334.3 KB
ID:	175047Click image for larger version

Name:	345-wiper-motor.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	305.4 KB
ID:	175048

My plan is to scrap the two Argosy wiper motors and install the 345 units. I also will use the same wiper control switch that Dan used. I am a little bummed about the wiper switch. The price went up $13 from the time Dan posted the link to when I checked it again today

Brad
Old 12-23-2012, 12:54 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
Brad I believe those are both coast to park motors, the dynamic park uses 4 wires. Check this page http://www.amequipment.com/wp-conten...9/801-1056.pdf In the lower right hand corner is the coast to park.

If your motors run, don't scrap them, carry in your spare parts box. Trying to find one of those from the local NAPA while you are standing in the rain isn't likely to have a happy ending. Ask me how I know. That event was the beginning of my entry into the world of wiper systems.

There is a world of information on the AM Equipment site but you really have to search for it. If you can weed your way through it they have a pretty good explanation of the terminology and how these systems work. Butch on the sales desk is an encyclopedia but the guy is really busy.

Cheers, Dan
Old 12-25-2012, 06:22 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Well I bit the bullet and ordered a replacement pivot assembly and the dual wiper delay switch. The website prices kept going up so if figured I better order before the got out of my price range.

Dan, thanks for posting the AM Equipment links, they do have a lot of good information there.

Brad