Old 06-28-2005, 08:49 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Window Latches

I need to replace or repair the window locks on my sliding windows. The worse are the two in the front, driver and passenger windows. I have taken them apart and cannot figure out how to get the locking mechinism to work again. It simply moves up and down without affecting the barrel which holds the window shut. When we drive the windows vibrate open.

Old 06-29-2005, 08:32 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
These are available although over 100 each. I got mine from Inland Rv. Is the felt in good shape? If not that could be the cause of the rattle, and it is cheap and easily replaced.
The latches don't seem to do a whole lot, and I feel more secure when I leave my AS by putting a small piece of dowel into the track that holds the front two in place.

AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 11:37 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Quote:
Is the felt in good shape? If not that could be the cause of the rattle, and it is cheap and easily replaced.
The latches don't seem to do a whole lot, and I feel more secure when I leave my AS by putting a small piece of dowel into the track that holds the front two in place.
There is no felt on either window. Does this go between the two window panes? I already use a dowel in the track but was hoping for a better solution.
Old 06-29-2005, 01:31 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
no felt in the tracks? It the squishy metal/cloth covered stuff that the window rides on and in. It surrounds the windows in the front. If its not there, as it rusts away after awhile, you can take out the sliding glass and insert new stuff after you clean the track out well.
I used an alternative after recommendation by PeterH a felt with flocked like finsih that is made for a 63 Valiant. It fit perfectly and the windows slide smoothly now. Cost me about 15 bucks for the stuff.
Check this thread....

http://www.airforums.com/forum...t=window+track
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Old 06-30-2005, 08:36 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Alan'
Thanks for the information. You are always very helpful. I have filed it and will start the project after our trip next week.
Old 06-30-2005, 12:24 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
YOU ARE WELCOME. If the felt was shot which it usyally is, the new stuff will make a big difference. Don't forget to cut the weep holes when you are through, you will see that in the earlier posts, and if you look back you will find more info in the Forums on doing this job.
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Old 06-30-2005, 08:45 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Kent, I found a rattle in my passenger side widow on the trip home from picking it up in MD. About half way home I had to stop and found that a screw or two on the lock / catch mechanism was loose... used my trusty screwdriver to tighten it down and it was perfect.

I'm now awaiting delivery from INland RV of new window channel (flocked channel) and new rubber dividers plus two different sealers/glue for a total delivered price of about $91...does not include lock mechanisms though.

The bus is ready at the shop.... had new front bags installed, new Headman ceramic coated headers installed... also had old a/c compressor capped and all the plumbing to the now removed engine driven Trans/Air A/C removed.

Picking up the "Prayer Wagon" tomorrow night so I can do some interior work this weekend prior to taking it to the tire shop on the way to DonMar RV for the new hole in the roof installation of the Air-V 15k ducted A/C unit next week..... seems I'm getting closer to having the new bus on the road.

I'm soooooooo... ready!! Seems my reason to make the change to this new coach was driven by the increase in fuel economy... now negated by the rapid rise in fuel costs.... but I have improved my image...
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 11:09 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Thanks for the information Glen. I found that the screws on my lock mechanisms were held on only by the glue. The threads were completly stripped. I am trying to find replacement screws now. I plan on redoing the tracks but trying the Valiant channel. Let me know how yours turned out.
Old 07-01-2005, 03:22 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
be sure to use a fair amount of silicone spray on the felt/rubber when you install it. I was easily able to pull it through over the top of the window after having the sides and bottom in place. It needs greasing to slide into place.
I used a weather strip sealant to hold it in.

It was great to be able to really clean those windows while they are out!

AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM