Old 12-10-2014, 06:55 AM   #15
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
boulder , Colorado
Which classic motorhome

I really like the rear bedroom with wraparound windows. Make for a nice cozy private room with a view. The center queen is the only option on the RED as it covers the engine. I would actually prefer the side twin beds with a nice usable space down the center. There isn't much space at the foot and sides of the queen. I moved mine back a foot which really opened up a nice usable space at the cost of a hard to use drawer across the foot of the bed. It wasn't a job for the "weak of heart". As it requires redoing a structural bulkhead across the rear and a fair amount of cabinetry work.

The rear engine makes for a quiet ride up front. A definite plus. I really wish it was about 32 foot long on the same wheelbase. It drives nice but will wear you out driving in gusty crosswinds. Engine cooling isn't optimal as I believe AS cut some costs. There is a suspicious box on the side that looks like the original plan was for a side mount radiator and intercooler. Most other applications of the Spartan chassis used that configuration. It used a hydraulic fan that incorporates water and boost air temp control. Many experience overheating issues in challenging conditions like climbing long grades or strong headwinds in hot weather. You just need to be aware and take your time. It's also possible to run high EGT without being aware as AS didn't include an EGT gauge.

I've written up several of my mods as Dakota, Kota, and Air Dog. I run out of picture space so I've created a few user names. I'm not cheap but I absolutely will not give out any financial information on the Internet. No way no how ain't gonna happen. Got burnt years ago on an eBay transaction and recently through the Home Depot data breach.

Kota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 11:24 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member
1991 30' Airstream 30
San Francisco , California
I have a 91 300LE. It has a 454 with fuel injection and I have a gear vendors overdrive waiting for install. I wish it had a modern diesel and trans, but that is a big dollar upgrade, and it runs really well as is. I would think about a direct trade for a 36 diesel pusher, but nothing else...I have a walk around queen bed in the back, no tag axle and plenty of living's perfect!Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1418710896.913497.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	424.5 KB
ID:	228720Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1418710982.369553.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	752.7 KB
ID:	228721

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

SebasSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 02:02 AM   #17
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Manston , Kent
Why only a Classic?

Originally Posted by PeterH-Airstreamer View Post
No Tag and the shorter the better has been my experience. Rear twins with wrap around windows........
May not be a Classic, but the '75 20ft Argosy is a small as you can get, and with pano windows and twin beds. Certainly my choice, especially for 2 people, small enough for day camping/weekend use, as well as longer trips.

martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote