Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-05-2011, 03:59 PM   #1
Volleyball Tourer

Where's the Federal Safety Stamp?

Hi all,

Sorry, I've been perving out on airstreamforums for years but have never entered the fray.

I spent the morning at the DMV in California. I've got a 1981 Excella, Chevy 454-powered, just passed smog. But they won't give me license plates until I show the DMV worker where the stamp on the coach is that states "This Vehicle meets or exceeds federal safety blah blah." Supposedly every vehicle since 1965 has to have one of these. I've looked all over -- (front nose engine area, by entry door, near the genny, above the driver's head)... where might it be hiding?

Thanks!
--David Fischer
fischerbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 04:59 PM   #2
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
sticker

Is it in the dash close to the windshield?
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 05:54 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
What a crock! If it's been licensed before, they know it was Federal compliant! They're just trying to justify their job by hassling you this way!

I registered a boat trailer a few years ago, and the DMV 'expert' had to verify the serial number with the Pink Slip - OK, no big deal, haul it by for them to look at it, pay the fees and wait for the new Pink to be mailed - right?

Wrong, the idiot 'expert' couldn't read his own writing later when completing the paperwork for entry into the DMV's mega-buck computer system, even though he had 'matched' the number on the original Pink! They sent me a letter saying that they couldn't issue me the new pink until I hauled the trailer down to them to look at AGAIN!

No 'sorry about that', or 'we screwed up, call us when you have the time to come by and we'll jump right on it" - NO, just the same old make an appointment and wait in line for those idiots to again record the numbers!

If I was 'King', I'd do away with all 'annual' renewals and have the DMV only work on new titles, title changes and Driver's licenses...Think about it - what do we owners get in return for all the fees we pay for annual renewals - NOTHING but a 50 cent sticker -

Most of that money goes toward jobs for staff who collect the money - crazy, what! The rest of your money goes directly to the state for other departments to SPEND - Why do they do this - because the lawmakers let them do it! - Why do we let them do this to us - Now that's a great question...Like I said, If I were 'King', I'd roll some heads and give my subjects a BIG break!
Old 01-05-2011, 07:15 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1990 25' Excella
Currently Looking...
Glenburn , Maine
I'm sure others will be more help. My limited brain power seems to recall these were plastic appliques near the door handle on the edge of the door. Easily peeled off and consequently it may no longer be on the vehicle.

wil

AIR 22828
TAC ME-3
Universal Address: 97XX5 QGG5Z
Longitude: -68.814136
Latitude: 44.894663
olddog299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 07:59 PM   #5
Volleyball Tourer

Wow -- thanks for the quick replies!

Massy -- I don't see it in the dash area under the windshield.
Mexray -- How do I know it was you who posted? Could you post again and send me a certified printout, along with a photo of and a receipt for your modem?
Olddog -- I will carefully -- and only mildly optimistically -- check near the door handle, inside and out.

I've paid for the year's registration, but have no plates yet since I got it from AZ and it was unregistered. Plates will have to wait until I track down this stamp, or until I schedule an appointment with the CHP to visually inspect the vehicle to see that it meets or exceeds federal safety standards. DMV thinks it could take anywhere from 3-weeks to 3 months to get a CHP appointment.

Or, if anyone else knows where these things might be hiding, do tell.

Cheers,
--David
Old 01-05-2011, 08:24 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Go to another DMV and hopefully the person you see will have a brain.
Better still, if you are a member, take it a AAA office that has DMV services, and they will do it.
IMO, the VIN number tells them when and where it was produced... No VIN, No federal standard!
Just ridiculous!
Keyair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 08:29 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Jamestown , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexray View Post
What a crock! If it's been licensed before, they know it was Federal compliant! They're just trying to justify their job by hassling you this way!

I registered a boat trailer a few years ago, and the DMV 'expert' had to verify the serial number with the Pink Slip - OK, no big deal, haul it by for them to look at it, pay the fees and wait for the new Pink to be mailed - right?

Wrong, the idiot 'expert' couldn't read his own writing later when completing the paperwork for entry into the DMV's mega-buck computer system, even though he had 'matched' the number on the original Pink! They sent me a letter saying that they couldn't issue me the new pink until I hauled the trailer down to them to look at AGAIN!

No 'sorry about that', or 'we screwed up, call us when you have the time to come by and we'll jump right on it" - NO, just the same old make an appointment and wait in line for those idiots to again record the numbers!

If I was 'King', I'd do away with all 'annual' renewals and have the DMV only work on new titles, title changes and Driver's licenses...Think about it - what do we owners get in return for all the fees we pay for annual renewals - NOTHING but a 50 cent sticker -

Most of that money goes toward jobs for staff who collect the money - crazy, what! The rest of your money goes directly to the state for other departments to SPEND - Why do they do this - because the lawmakers let them do it! - Why do we let them do this to us - Now that's a great question...Like I said, If I were 'King', I'd roll some heads and give my subjects a BIG break!
and they wonder why people are Leaving ?
these people do not understand that they are ( serving ) the citizens, Public. NOT Harassing them
John H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 08:44 PM   #8
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Sticker

Is it on the dash close to the windshield?[/QUOTE]

If this is the decal "CD122" that has the s/n, weight info, and etc. then on my unit the decal is on the dash on drivers side at bottom of windshield.
I believe I have seen them on the top of the drivers visor also - as well as the door jam.
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 08:52 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
I'm not an authority on this by any means but I think that might have been an automotive thing. Trucks including pick ups and some SUV's were exempt of smog and safety requirements because they are utility vehicles and not passenger vehicles, according to the government for taxing and import purposes.

The Vin number on my 82 is a metal tag riveted to the fire wall. The Airstream ID is another tag on the fire wall. The body has an RV association sticker on the right side behind the front tire. These are the only tags I have seen.

My experience in Calif. is check with another DMV office. Many years dealing in antique and collector vehicles proved that you get different answers from different offices. I actually drove from L.A. to San Louis Obispo to register a modified motorcycle. It was very legal quoted right from the books but the clowns in L.A. wouldn't even open the book to look. It was accepted by Sacramento with no problem.

Good luck, Dan
Smartstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:17 PM   #10
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
1963 19' Globetrotter
1961 19' Globetrotter
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
The stamp only needs to be on the vehicle or trail at the time of first title! As per the interstate commerce department requirement! I would go to a different DMV person or location. The VIN is issued to a vehicle or trailer only after it meets all requirements for that year, so in a sense your VIN is such a stamp!

I would ask them what the requirement would be for a "lost title" on this type of form it asks about this very thing too. The ViN should come back as "in compliance" or "non compliance" that being said this may help you defend yourself...

Good Luck!

Todd
Instagram #Vinstream
vinstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 11:41 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Thanks for confirming what I was trying to say Tod!
Bottom line... find a person with a brain....
Oh, Who wants DMV style Gov Healthcare?
Old 01-06-2011, 12:35 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
I would rather go to the dentist, than go to the CA DMV.
Like Keyair said use AAA if possible.
Mexray, if we could only vote on it. Ya got mine.
batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 03:51 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
Wonder why so many folks register in Montana...?!!!
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 12:34 PM   #14
Volleyball Tourer

Thanks mucho for the additional advice. Still haven't located a safety stamp, and when I initially went to AAA (I'm a happy member) they said their computer freaked out that my VIN was only 13 digits, not the more current 17. They reluctantly sent me to the DMV.

I could try other DMVs and would just have to schmooze the right person. Still might, but I called the CHP as per the DMV's mandate, and got an appointment just 2 days away. They said to bring in a "Form 124." I guess this procedure is in place to keep modified or damaged vehicles from becoming registered, but agree with the posters above that the VIN and prior registrations should count equally with the safety stamp -- and I found out that this coach had been registered in CA in the past.

A mechanic friend also suggested I call Airstream to see if they'll send a replacement sticker or at least fax the specs. Might give this a try. But visiting the CHP this Wednesday will hopefully get me over this latest hurdle. Thanks for all the input!
Old 01-10-2011, 01:56 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Good luck!
Dont waste your time calling Airstream... Everything they have is on the website they told me.
Old 01-18-2011, 01:48 PM   #16
Volleyball Tourer

CHP office ran pretty smoothly -- got the paperwork filled out in 30 minutes.

Went to the CHP in my little toyota with inspection paperwork in hand. Lady said "Where's the vehicle? You need to bring it in so we can do our inspection." I mentally remained very calm and started to jump up and down and turn red. Her boss said that ok, the CHP inspection on top of the 2 prior DMV inspections last week would suffice.

She asked me for the smog certificate. I said it was done last week and sent electronically. She said it wasn't received. I said they scanned in the bar code on the paperwork and could she just look a little more. She said I needed to bring in the paperwork. I refrained from jumping the counter and removing all computers from the office, since the DMV was apparently were going back to an all-paper system. She then looked a little more and found the electronic certificate, handed me plates, stickers, and a smile.

I appreciate all the comments, but would like to point out that to me, the DMV is more like our current medical insurance billing system, except that at the DMV you never ever get to see a doc. Hopefully healthcare mandates will make the healthcare system cheaper and at least as good for people currently insured. Rates are going up, I realize, but they weren't exactly going down in recent years...
Old 01-18-2011, 02:17 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
Health care cheaper? And better for the people? Dont bet your life on it. Sal.
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 02:25 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Thats AWESOME news!

My turn next!

As for the healthcare debate....
I come from a country where we have Universal Healthcare, it is good by some peoples standards.
Trust me, in real terms tho, its more expensive and you get poorer service.
IIRC, employer pays 10% on what he pays you, then you pay 10%... so 20% off the top to pay for it... that's a lot of money!
Old 01-18-2011, 03:28 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyair View Post
Thats AWESOME news!

My turn next!

As for the healthcare debate....
I come from a country where we have Universal Healthcare, it is good by some peoples standards.
Trust me, in real terms tho, its more expensive and you get poorer service.
IIRC, employer pays 10% on what he pays you, then you pay 10%... so 20% off the top to pay for it... that's a lot of money!
I would like to make a polite request. No matter what side anyone is on, could we please not discuss/debate health care reform on these forums.

As far as I am concerned it is politics.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 03:45 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Agreed Ken!

Tags
federal, registration, safety