Old 04-11-2010, 04:39 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
Lewiston , Maine
Where to start?

Now that my Silver Bullet -- '86 345 MH -- is almost roadworthy, (and I have yet to see her!), I am wondering where to start with the inside systems. She looks very nice inside so cosmetics are not an issue, but she has sat quite a bit in the last ten years and I am guessing that there are plenty of systems in need of maintenance.

So, a little about me. I have no mechanical background. I can speak French. LOL. Could anyone suggest (apart from those systems which may not be working at all) which ones would be the easiest to start with in terms of dipping my feet in the water?

I don't want to be like ex-h who when he did his first and only engine repair ended up with a lot of spare parts!

I know the generator works, which is a good thing. I've been told that it takes a couple of tries to get the fridge going. The stove is new but is it hooked up to anything. I suppose what I am most worried about are the water systems since they don't seem to have been used for several years.

And once I find out what isn't working, where do I get parts? I mean what is the one biggest source for parts?

What about schematics?

So many questions. Excuse me... I'm a newbie and I do read the other posts and try to digest them. It can just be overwhelming when you're a complete beginner!

Old 04-11-2010, 06:19 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by gowiththeflo View Post
Now that my Silver Bullet -- '86 345 MH -- is almost roadworthy, (and I have yet to see her!), I am wondering where to start with the inside systems. She looks very nice inside so cosmetics are not an issue, but she has sat quite a bit in the last ten years and I am guessing that there are plenty of systems in need of maintenance.

So, a little about me. I have no mechanical background. I can speak French. LOL. Could anyone suggest (apart from those systems which may not be working at all) which ones would be the easiest to start with in terms of dipping my feet in the water?

I don't want to be like ex-h who when he did his first and only engine repair ended up with a lot of spare parts!

I know the generator works, which is a good thing. I've been told that it takes a couple of tries to get the fridge going. The stove is new but is it hooked up to anything. I suppose what I am most worried about are the water systems since they don't seem to have been used for several years.

And once I find out what isn't working, where do I get parts? I mean what is the one biggest source for parts?

What about schematics?

So many questions. Excuse me... I'm a newbie and I do read the other posts and try to digest them. It can just be overwhelming when you're a complete beginner!
The inside, is the "last" place to start.

Always start on the outside, to make the coach weatherproof.

Check all the exterior gaskets, for the windows, windshield, entrance door, access doors, and especially the sewer vent pipe cover gaskets, as they only last 2 to 3 years.

After any and all water leaks issues are addressed, and corrected, if necessary, then you can proceed with the interior, without risking water damage.

Andy