Old 08-10-2011, 03:00 PM   #1
Currently Looking...
Dover , Arkansas
Question What's a fair price range

What would be a fair price to offer for a motorhome that that has been sitting unused for quite some time. I am looking at 2 different units, in similar condition. One is a a 280, one is a 310, both 454 engines. Both have been stored outside, appear to have few if any water leaks. Neither has been run in over 12 years but ran good when parked (didn't they all!). Cosmetically both look good inside and out. I am unable to test anything to see if it works.
I know that I will need a full set of tires to even get either unit moved very far, and will need to go through everything mechanically before it can be put back on road costing minimum $2-5K with me doing the work. I know this can be a money pit, but over a few years time I don't mind spending the money on it .
Any ideas?

bosshog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 03:28 PM   #2
Rivet Master
1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Hi there!
Big factors will be mileage and history...
A unit with 60k miles and a 2" thick binder of bills will tell you much.
A unit without history or bills is a crapshoot.. but if the price is right, it can work if you are willing to do the labor of love.
Engines and transmissions have a finite life, and if they have been replaced, or rebuilt that is a plus.... if it was done well!
Bodywork is the most problematic, so a good body is a plus.
On a sitting unit, tires, and brakes... anything rubber will be suspect, so that means everything from master and caliper seals, and hoses, coolant hoses, etc.
Remember, its all kinda stock Chevy stuff.... nothing exotic, so be penny wise!
Give us more info on each unit... or PM me...

Keyair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 05:46 PM   #3
Currently Looking...
Dover , Arkansas
Thanks for the reply! I don't know much more about them yet. It is an estate situation. All I know is they both have been parked outside for the past 12 years, were used a little bit where they were parked for weekend use, then have been sitting unused since then. Are being sold "as is". I know I will have to go through everything on the chassis such as brakes/airbags/etc. Engine /tranny /radiator condition will be unknowns until I buy one. Interior looks to be in very good shape, appear to be clean (by the pictures I've gotten).Exterior also appears clean, no dents, glass looks good.
Nothing is known about AC/appliances/water system/etc. Person selling them is just trying to clean up the estate issues and get rid of them, but knows no more about them. 310 is rear bed,around 80k miles, 280 is rear bath,around 110k miles.
They are a ways away from me, so I have to take a weekend to go see them. Am just trying to be somewhat prepared on value range. I don't want to offer too much, but also don't want to offer to little.
bosshog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 06:38 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Las Vegas , Nevada
I think it's on the front page of these forums you'll find a spot that has available inspectors. If there is an inspector available for that area, contact them and explain your situation, especially since you mentioned the mh's are a ways from you. If this works out you can go there somewhat prepared.
345bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 09:22 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member
1984 31' Airstream310
College Station , Texas
Purchase price

Bosshog: The less you spend now, the more you will have later and you will need lots of money later!! If the 310 is not running with cool a/c blowing I would think you would be offering next to nothing. I don't think the buy market is off the charts right now. These two have been sitting for 12 years which to me says every item is going to need attention.

You will have great fun restoring the units if you like to tinker, but it will not be inexpensive. It has taken two years and over 15 K to restore an 84 310 that was sitting on 72k miles when I bought it.

Where are the units located? Can you get some pics?

Best of luck!
pdallas is offline   Reply With Quote