Old 12-07-2014, 10:29 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Redwood City , California
What to look for when considering a 345?

Just "camping" in the mh at the ranch. We haven't had any rain in Calif for about 3 yrs, but it has been raining almost non-stop for a couple of weeks and a lot more to come...when it rains, it pours.

My windshield leak has never gone away and it is worse then ever. I made the mistake of not putting out the large salad bowl on the dash under the mirror to catch the rain water. That's only one of the problems that cropped up since I was here a couple weeks back.

I need one of those t-shirts!

I almost have part two of my video ready...the drive from Angels Camp into Yosemite Valley.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

"We are free to go where we wish and to be what we are"
Richard Bach, Jonathan Livingston Seagall
dadstoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 11:11 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Fort Bragg , California
Thanks very much to all who have responded - special thanks to Tony for the tough love! A good laugh as well as very good advice.

My preference is for a trailer that would be far easier to maintain than a motorhome, but this one is available at a very good price - it costs half as much as a trailer half its length. However, I am listening carefully about the work required and the potential for financial ruin, and will take that into account with the decision. We are going to contact our local RV shop for a pre-purchase inspection tomorrow.

It may be worth it to us even if we end up with a trailer as well in the future. Airstreams feature large in my and my family's subconscious worlds, for better or for worse, but we are in the beneficial position of being able to guide our destiny with some forethought, at least for now.

Ideally I'd love to use this occasion to buy a working 21-foot trailer, use it as overflow for the holidays and then travel in the spring, and that may be the way we go. I expect that spending 10-12k on a moho and putting 5-10k worth of work into it is comparable to spending 25k up front on a trailer that needs far less work, if I could find a decent 21 foot for that! The huge motorhome is strangely compelling, though, so we'll see.

As for the Overlander - we found it for $1000 needing considerable work, got it home and gutted it completely, and then had a chance to buy our dream property and build a house my wife designed. So we did that instead, and have used the trailer as storage. (The house isn't finished yet, but what house is?) I may indeed part it out at some point and turn the shell into a cabin. If I do, I will post the tires etc. on this site using exactly the language Tony specified.

Thanks again for all the copious advice.

Old 12-08-2014, 04:06 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Hanalei, /Chino Valley , Hawaii / Arizona
Oh. One of the benefits of purchase of a classic airstream Moho is membership into this zany community you have just had a glimpse at here. It's part of the cool factor. :-)
We are bound together by the shared pain.

Cheers Richard

Dad's toy. Can you post a link to your video, haven't seen it yet. Thanks
Old 12-08-2014, 12:04 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
What to look for when considering a 345?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tevake View Post
Oh. One of the benefits of purchase of a classic airstream Moho is membership into this zany community you have just had a glimpse at here. It's part of the cool factor. :-)
We are bound together by the shared pain.

Cheers Richard

Dad's toy. Can you post a link to your video, haven't seen it yet. Thanks
http://youtu.be/msTOGub573o

Old 12-08-2014, 10:47 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Hanalei, /Chino Valley , Hawaii / Arizona
WOW! Dean that is really a nicely done video, and a beautiful coach.
Can't wait to see the follow on video.

Sure wish my 345 made music Like that while running down the road.

Love touring that part of the country.

Thanks Richard
Old 12-11-2014, 06:19 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1991 35' Airstream 350
Carriere , Mississippi
Send a message via Skype™ to wxbuoy
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaulike View Post
........... I expect that spending 10-12k on a moho and putting 5-10k worth of work into it is comparable to spending 25k up front on a trailer that needs far less work, if I could find a decent 21 foot for that! ...........
Ahhhhh, If you get a moho for $10-12K you are going to need to put $10K into it in just parts for a safe, reliable nice coach.... if you do all the work! Now you could get lucky, as some here have, but the MoHo Gods are vengeful and require a sacrifice. Some pay with $$$ some with blood, and a few with time spent on the side of the road waiting for a tow 8 hrs from home. Go ahead, ask me how I know (I have met all 3 criteria )

Which, by the way, is why all my money is going into mechanical systems and such. But we did set aside $75 to get a large sleeping bag and blow up mattress for the gutted interior.
Old 12-12-2014, 01:23 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by tevake View Post
WOW! Dean that is really a nicely done video, and a beautiful coach.

Can't wait to see the follow on video.

Sure wish my 345 made music Like that while running down the road.

Love touring that part of the country.

Thanks Richard

Thanks!

Not sure how or why, but yes that music just seems to come from nowhere while I head down the highway! LOL!