Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2013, 09:33 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Rancho Murieta , California
I know i am late to this party. We are NEW AS owners and we are trying to land on something. Mat vs. Outdoor Rug?? Any thoughts or opinions??

Thank you,

Ron
Ronman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:58 AM   #22
RLS
Rivet Master

2004 25' Classic
Prescott , Arizona
The main thing I would be concerned about is water retension. We use an rv mat that does not hold any water. It is also good for windy places as it has hold down loops for anchoring it to the ground.
AIR #30685
RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:55 AM   #23
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
I only use a patio mat when I set up my Florida Room (the maker, Fiamma, calls it a "Privacy Room"), so I wanted a mat the same size as the area enclosed by the walls, namely 8×13. Couldn't find an 8×13 mat, but did find a 9×13 mat. Just have to drive the wall stakes through the mat on the long side, but the mat is open-weave polypropylene, so I can drive the stakes through without damaging it.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:07 AM   #24
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
For me, less is better. My mat is about 5'x10' which covers the doorway area plus plenty enough space for our two folding chairs. It stores in a bag about 8" diameter by 3' long and doesn't take up much of our valuable storage space. The bag has a pocket for the plastic mallet and a set of "?" shaped rods to tie down the corners.

Our reversable mat is red, white, and blue and shows a different arrangement of colors depending on which side is up. If it is muddy, I put the darker side up.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:15 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Denver , Colorado
Zip Dee

When we purchased our Safari back in 2010 from the 1st owners they gave us many extras since they were no longer camping. There was a light blue kind of rubber type mat we cleaned off and used for the first year of camping. We loved it. It did not hold water,was soft to walk on,did not blow up in the wind, and did not kill the grass. This year we splurged for a new one thru ZIP DEE. It only comes in blue which was ok with us. It is made of a foamed type pvc that covers jute mesh. Only one width though 6' 6" but they have many different lenghts. Our AS is 25' so we got the 20' and it's just right, plenty of room for chairs,coolers, table,and BBQ pit.I would have to believe that with the right care it will last 10 years or more just like the 1st one.

Jim
Old 01-03-2013, 02:16 PM   #26
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLS View Post
We have only camped at S.P. and so far have not been to one that has any grass to worry about where the mat goes. I used a small one at first (about 7' x 14') and found it was not big enough. When it rains, it is nice to have the water run off from the awning go on the mat so there is no mud splashing up. We now use a 9' x 18' one that is great. I like the idea of having the extra coverage to keep the dirt and mud away from us. It is a poly weave one that dries quickly. Usually, I pull it out onto the road area to sweep off both sides (get any bugs off!), fold it up, put it in the supplied bag and into the shower area it goes. If bad weather when leaving, fold it and toss it in the shower to clean later
RLS,

I'm with you....Lot's of sandy soil in the Adirondack park's we frequent.
The more area that extends beyond the awning coverage the better for us. All three mats fit well in the Classic's "trunk", and without the carpet in there it's much easier to clean.

Bob
Old 01-03-2013, 03:01 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
Zip Dee Here Also

It lets sand and grit fall through so you get less inside the coach, lets sunlight and water through and lets heat escape, so grass doesn't die (in fact, over the course of a week or so, the grass doesn't even really fade ...), hoses off easily, doesn't hold water, etc.

I always secure mine to the ground at the corners with four 60d nails and washers ... the nails slide right through the weave; so far it hasn't ever blown away, etc.

Good product. Also looks nice with awning, blue accent stripes, and Zip Dee chairs!
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:07 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
I bought indoor/outdoor carpet 12' wide cut off the roll 16' long. It's the plastic stuff they sold back in the early 90's at Lowes or HD. It looks like light duty Astroturf. I've been hauling that thing for about 20 years. Starting to frey around the edges a little, but it still looks good. It folds up to fit in a plastic trash bag that I toss in the back of the pickup. I use it under the canopy or at times under my mosquito screen tent.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:18 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I have been very happy with these products. Family business and great quality. I've used on gravel, dirt, mud and grass. Durable and easy to clean and dries very quickly.

Outdoor Breathable Rugs rv mat rug camping pool patio pet

I like to have a mat the same length as the awning and about 1' wider. That way the water that runs off the roller edge doesn't splash up mud onto the mat.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:23 AM   #30
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Rancho Murieta , California
We landed on Carefree Mats. Found it to be the best selection in design and size. 9x18 mat in silver and charcoal with palm trees along the edge! Just over $100 including shipping. It just arrived this week. Going out with friends next weekend. I'll know more about the durability after that.
Ronman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:54 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
I have been very happy with these products. Family business and great quality. I've used on gravel, dirt, mud and grass. Durable and easy to clean and dries very quickly.

Outdoor Breathable Rugs rv mat rug camping pool patio pet

I like to have a mat the same length as the awning and about 1' wider. That way the water that runs off the roller edge doesn't splash up mud onto the mat.
These look really nice, and the advertising says they won't kill grass.

So many campgrounds have restrictions on the regular mats and, justifiably so. Pick one up after a week or two and all grass is dead and yellow.

They really do keep your outdoor living and inside space much cleaner, can step out barefoot if you like, I like,

Maggie

Tags
patio mat