Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-23-2011, 11:50 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
What is this I found in my Airstream?

Another fun, but helpful thread!
If you find something in your Airstream and are unsure what it is or what it does post it here and get it ID'd!
I think we have a "What does this switch do" thread, so I am thinking this one is for other stuff.

Ok, let me start..
Found this odd looking pipe with odd looking fittings in one of the storage drawers... its about 5' long.
My best guess is something to do with the Propane tank?

Old 08-23-2011, 01:44 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyair View Post
Another fun, but helpful thread!
If you find something in your Airstream and are unsure what it is or what it does post it here and get it ID'd!
I think we have a "What does this switch do" thread, so I am thinking this one is for other stuff.

Ok, let me start..
Found this odd looking pipe with odd looking fittings in one of the storage drawers... its about 5' long.
My best guess is something to do with the Propane tank?
That's a male to male fitting that would connect 2 LPG tanks together, so that you could transfer LPG from one tank, to the other.

The full tank must be upside down and higher than the empty tank. The bleed valve on the empty tank would have to be opened to allow the transfer.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 02:32 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Would opening a bleed valve depend on type of tank, old ones would transfer by gravity without a bleed valve? Did they(vertical type) even have one?
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 02:36 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFL View Post
Would opening a bleed valve depend on type of tank, old ones would transfer by gravity without a bleed valve? Did they(vertical type) even have one?
You must be able to open a blled valve on the empty tank.

If not, then as soon as the pressure equalizes, the flow will stop.

Doesn't make sense, but that's the way it works for me when I transfer the LPG.

It does help some what, if you let the full tank get warm from the sun, and keep the empty tank cool.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 03:44 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
I transfer gas that way frequently to fill smaller tanks.
The tank being filled needs the 20% valve which is a screw or possibly a knurled nut on the side of the valve slightly open. Of course the regular handle must be opened also.
When you start getting liquid instead of gas out of the bleeder the tank is properly filled.
The "source" tank must be upside down. This is one of those "don't do this at home "things and should be done in a well ventilated outside area.
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 03:53 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickDavis View Post
I transfer gas that way frequently to fill smaller tanks.
The tank being filled needs the 20% valve which is a screw or possibly a knurled nut on the side of the valve slightly open. Of course the regular handle must be opened also.
When you start getting liquid instead of gas out of the bleeder the tank is properly filled.
The "source" tank must be upside down. This is one of those "don't do this at home "things and should be done in a well ventilated outside area.
Also a "don't do this at home" disclaimer....but I found myself with almost 80# of propane in 4, 20# tanks when the OPD law came into effect. I've been using a transfer device to refill the 1# bottles for my portable grill for several years now. Warm 20# bottle, upside down and the 1#er in the fridge for about 30 minutes. This method gets the 1# bottle almost full. If you put them in the freezer, or fridge too long, you can overfill the 1# bottle and when removed from the 20# tank, it will bleed off some gas.

Again don't do this at home and do it outside in a safe area!
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 04:36 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
This may be quite elementary for some, but it may help others.

Propane is a popular fuel because, while it must be in its’ gaseous form to be used as a fuel, it can be stored as a liquid at atmospheric temperatures, under relatively low pressure.
In a resting tank (one tuned off or with no gas flowing) the liquid boils to form gas until the pressure inside the tank rises to the point that no more room exists for more gas at a given temperature. As the temperature rises, more liquid boils until equilibrium is again reached. Under normal ambient temps here on earth, all things are safe and happy. A tank exposed to fire is a problem, but that is another story.

As propane gas is allowed to escape, into the regulator and pipes on its’ way to an appliance, the liquid propane again boils to equalize at somewhere around 80-150 psi.

The beauty of this fuel is that is 1 gallon of liquid makes 270 gallons of vapor. Depending on ambient temperature a 30 lb. tank holds 4-5 liquid gallons, or up to 1350 gallons of usable gaseous fuel.

When one transfers propane with a device like above, the liquid is the goal. But as the liquid moves into the empty tank, it boils off trying to fill the space. So, allowing a little vapor to escape via the mentioned vapor valve, allows more liquid in. Turning the full tank upside down makes certain only liquid is flowing out.

Two half full tanks is the best outcome to be expected. A pretty fire ball or maybe a quick trip around the yard on the top of a propane tank are the other possibilities.

The 20% space that should be left at the top of a full tank is the vapor space, to allow all this to work. At a propane fill facility, a pump is used to overcome the pressure inside the tank, and forces liquid in. The overfill-protection-device (OPD) was developed as a safety to prevent the pump forcing liquid into the vapor space. It is simply a float that shuts to seal and stop the flow when liquid reaches the 80% full level.

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 04:53 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdalrymple View Post
This may be quite elementary for some, but it may help others.

Propane is a popular fuel because, while it must be in its’ gaseous form to be used as a fuel, it can be stored as a liquid at atmospheric temperatures, under relatively low pressure.
In a resting tank (one tuned off or with no gas flowing) the liquid boils to form gas until the pressure inside the tank rises to the point that no more room exists for more gas at a given temperature. As the temperature rises, more liquid boils until equilibrium is again reached. Under normal ambient temps here on earth, all things are safe and happy. A tank exposed to fire is a problem, but that is another story.

As propane gas is allowed to escape, into the regulator and pipes on its’ way to an appliance, the liquid propane again boils to equalize at somewhere around 80-150 psi.

The beauty of this fuel is that is 1 gallon of liquid makes 270 gallons of vapor. Depending on ambient temperature a 30 lb. tank holds 4-5 liquid gallons, or up to 1350 gallons of usable gaseous fuel.

When one transfers propane with a device like above, the liquid is the goal. But as the liquid moves into the empty tank, it boils off trying to fill the space. So, allowing a little vapor to escape via the mentioned vapor valve, allows more liquid in. Turning the full tank upside down makes certain only liquid is flowing out.

Two half full tanks is the best outcome to be expected. A pretty fire ball or maybe a quick trip around the yard on the top of a propane tank are the other possibilities.

The 20% space that should be left at the top of a full tank is the vapor space, to allow all this to work. At a propane fill facility, a pump is used to overcome the pressure inside the tank, and forces liquid in. The overfill-protection-device (OPD) was developed as a safety to prevent the pump forcing liquid into the vapor space. It is simply a float that shuts to seal and stop the flow when liquid reaches the 80% full level.
Yup, I hear ya, and thus my disclaimer. I believe these "transfer devices" became illegal to produce with the OPD regs, as I can't find them with the OPD fittings. The gas space is the trick to find with the amount of time in the fridge. I have come to default a little on the safe side and settle for about 3/4 full on the 1# bottle. When I use up the left over pre-OPD 20#ers, I'm done with playing around. It has however, saved some $, as the 1#ers are rediculously overpriced.
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 06:21 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Quote:
30 lb. tank holds 4-5 liquid gallons, or up to 1350 gallons of usable gaseous fuel.[/SIZE][/FONT]

Actually a so called 20 lb tank holds 4.7 gallons of liquid and a 30 is around 7.2 gallons, plus or minus a bit depending on the valve dip tube length

It is possible to transfer the entire contents from one tank to another of the same size as long as the bleeder is open. Have done it many times. I have also filled 3 30 lb tanks from an inverted 100 lb tank and still hd a bit left. Apparently the small amount of gas lost through the bleeder is not a big deal.

Many filling stations will open the bleeder when filling which I personally feel is best although some will still try to fill by weight and I have encountered a few that will pump in gas until the OPD forces a shut off.
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 09:09 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
I personally refill the 1# tanks, but I limit refills to 6...I use a magic marker to remind me as to how many times I have refilled...I always aim the tank away from the rig, and putting the empty tank in the freezer for about 30 minutes makes a load difference...the monetary savings are huge in the long run...yep, you have to turn the tank upside down, and you have to be conscious that you are dealing with a flammable (read EXPLOSIVE) material, but so far, I've been lucky...m
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 11:50 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
I found a black box under the dash near the fuse panel, need to know why power to it was cut by first PO, second PO or by technician solving problem. It measures 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 x 1 1/8 . Not all wires were cut. When it is plugged in electric door locks work but don't when disconnected. Is this the box for the optional remote button entry? No remote came with unit. Does anybody have the schematic for installing remote entry system? Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	blackbox.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	155.3 KB
ID:	138655   Click image for larger version

Name:	bbplug.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	175.5 KB
ID:	138656  

Click image for larger version

Name:	bbcircuit.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	248.9 KB
ID:	138657  
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 01:28 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Oakland County , Michigan
Interesting Find!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFL View Post
I found a black box under the dash near the fuse panel,............ Thanks
Wow, what an interesting find! I hope someone out there can shed some light on it.
Michigan
Michigander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 08:15 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1982 31' Airstream 310
Dayton , Tennessee
I think you're on the right trail with the electric lock biz. I found a similar mystery 'black box' in the same area, which I had to remove to access the fuse block. In my case it turned out to be the brain for the after market cruise control, which does still work, sort of. The longer it's on the slower
we go-----------------------Pete
woodja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 06:33 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2012 31' Classic
1999 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Andalusia , Alabama
I had a black box like that in that area as well. Mine was the brain for the washer fluid low, and coolant low lights.
Rob
Robfike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 10:09 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Another LPG part?

Was crawling around under my 345 yeaterday, and spotted this odd box on the streetside..
Its directly in front of the LPG tank, and I think it might be LPG related...
Old 09-15-2011, 10:17 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Was crawling around under my 345 yeaterday, and spotted this odd box on the streetside..
Definitely a GPS tracking system placed there by the man to keep an eye on you. Have there been a lot of "plumbing" and "electrician" vans parked down the street from your house every day for the past few weeks?

1959 Pacer 18' Renovation - Knight in Shining Armor

Our Adventure Blog - Documenting our backpacking, hiking, camping, and Airstreaming
(still updating, haven't gotten to the Airstream trips yet)
worldinchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 11:24 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldinchaos View Post
Definitely a GPS tracking system placed there by the man to keep an eye on you. Have there been a lot of "plumbing" and "electrician" vans parked down the street from your house every day for the past few weeks?

Sadly, if its on my Motorhome, they would not have had to drive too far to keep tabs on me....
Old 09-15-2011, 11:36 AM   #18
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Quote:
I showed the pic to my mechanic, he thinks it's vacuum-related with a plastic check valve. It has that "someone has fooled with it before" look.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 11:58 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
It's a punuffit! It performs no useful function.
ventport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 01:22 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
I showed the pic to my mechanic, he thinks it's vacuum-related with a plastic check valve. It has that "someone has fooled with it before" look.
There are 2 of those check valves, one at each end...
There is also some type of electric valve and some wires goind to it... that look disconected..
I also see a pipe in the background that comes down from the drivers compartment... and it looks like it was attached to a T piece but maybe its snapped off...
Another pic, and I can see some words on the cover, but cant read them from the angle...
Now I am gonna have to go crawl under again!