Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-21-2008, 10:32 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1994 36' Classic 36 Diesel
Christmas Valley , Oregon
What do you tow your M/H with?

We bought a house in Christmas Valley, Oregon. It's not finished yet so we are living in our MoHo. With the delivery of propane still a week out, we were running low and decided to go the mile to fill up. I started the old girl and ran her for about an hour and she was runnin' fine. We battened down the hatches and left the comfort of our "spot". About 100 feet out on the street it was as if someone just reached down and shut off the key! She would not start again. We drained the fuel filters and the clear part at the bottom looked like cottage cheese....the fuel had gelled. After working on her for a few hours in +2 degree weather, I told Sandy to get in the jeep and bring her down. We hitched the little Wrangler to the tow hitch and she PULLED THE WHOLE MESS BACK TO THE DRIVEWAY! About that time, a little Datsun 4x4 hooked on to the ball on the coach, Sandy hooked on to him, and they backed this puppy right back up the hill into our beloved spot....once again. We purchased 2 little 5 gal. tanks, and have been changing them out every 8-10 hours and staying cozy. Even in the -10 weather! There has been an awful lot of talk about UltraLow Sulfer diesel gelling. The people in N. Dakota and Minnesota are used to sub-0 weather....we are not! So, I guess the soloution would be to get to the auto parts store and get some fuel anti-gel before the -0 weather gets here. We got our fuel problem solved and are working on the frozen water next. Have a happy holiday. Stay warm. Phil and Sam
Diesel Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 12:03 PM   #2
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
In an emergency you can thin out your fuel with gasoline, 1 gal gas to 10 gal diesel fuel. It will do no harm. Stove oil is better if you can get it, and can go 1 gal to 5 gal.

You must have old fuel in there from the summer. Oil companies change the formula in winter to prevent this from happening.
Old 12-21-2008, 12:15 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Up until this winter we have always taken winter trips in Chummy some in sub zero temperatures. To keep the fuel from gelling I will use an anti-gel additive from the local truck stop also having fresh fuel is a must otherwise you must treat it so it will not gel.
Old 12-21-2008, 12:52 PM   #4
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Yep, same here. I purchase the anti-gel in a a quart bottle. Usually one bottle treats about eighty gallons. Once you fill up with winter blend you should be okay.

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 01:14 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
We've had gel problems when we were not on the road; once moving with a hit of anti,
problems zero. I change my lower fuel filter every oil change.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 10:28 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1994 36' Classic 36 Diesel
Christmas Valley , Oregon
Update

Hi guys! Thanks for your comments and advise. Things are looking better in Christmas Valley, Oregon. Yesterday we made it all the way down to the only service station in Christmas Valley, and filled our internal propane tank. The coach ran great, returned home, and got a call from the propane man who installed a 100 gal. external propane tank. With the internal tank full, I can run the generator in case of a power outage. We got the motorhome situated right where I want it, on planks, to avoid ground contact with the tires.
Part of the gelling problem was getting the anti-gel mixed with the fuel. It appears the engine doesn't bypass back to the tank; it just runs it back to the small fuel filter on the engine. Anyway, it is running now and the fuel is the proper color and consistency. Now I know why they call it "full-timing." Because, it is a full-time, unpaid position, as a janitor, maintenence person, all around handyman to keep all systems running!
Next project: insullate and heat the fresh water tank! By the way, this is my 50th post! I don't know exactly what happens, but I think I get another rivit or something else wonderful! Happy Holidays! Stay warm. Phil and Sam
Diesel Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 12:28 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Las Vegas , Nevada
Really like your description of full-timing, guess that makes me one also. Good to hear your fuel problem is off the "list".
345bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 02:07 PM   #8

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Sounds like the most appropriate place to be this time of year. Got any pictures for us of Christmas Valley?

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 02:56 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
Wow, that sounds COLD!!!

This will start a huge debate, but my dealership Duramax mechanic swears by the Stanadyne performance fuel additive. He says with the ultra low sulfur, run it in every tank.

I have since the truck was new, and have never had problems....

Stay warm, and I bet you like the 100# tank

Best Regards,

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote