Old 11-25-2012, 01:13 PM   #785
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Good stuff Astro!
Just an FYI... not sure if that Edelbrock carb will pass smog in CA...

I guess the point of this thread is to share those little gems that we buy for upkeep and update of our MH's, and share the bargains we find!

Old 11-25-2012, 01:51 PM   #786
jm2
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
1977 20' Argosy 20
northern valley , new jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrodokk View Post

Replaced 4 barrel carb with new Edelbrock w/electric choke.

Ramco power side view mirrors.
hi, would you share what carb and mirrors you used?

happy with them? would you do it it again with the same equipment?

thanks!

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci.

WBCCI 2087 - AIR 3144 - TAC-NJ2

http://defendwally.org/
jm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:32 PM   #787
Rivet Master

1992 30' Airstream 30
Santa Rosa , Northern California wine country
Keyair, I had that carb replaced in 2000, so it's passed smog every time since then. I wish the mechanics had given me back the old one. They said it couldn't be rebuilt and tossed it, and ordered the Edelbrock. I was a noob then, and I didn't think about keeping the old one and asking for it back. Found out they were crooks and went out of business a couple of years later.
jm2, I'll have to look through my old records to see the exact model of carb. I'll get back to you here. The Ramco mirrors are a great improvement over the stock ones. I ordered direct from ramco-eng.com. I don't remember the model number, but the top part is what electrically adjusts.
I'm working on painting the spare tire cover. Took off the old defective sticker and will have to get that gummy stuff off before painting it the charcoal gray that is the color of the lower cladding on the moho. The wheels are all charcoal as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Nick 007.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	323.9 KB
ID:	173306   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nick 008.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	268.2 KB
ID:	173307  

Name:	Nick 005.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	181.7 KB
ID:	173308  
Old 11-25-2012, 08:20 PM   #788
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Thanks for the reply and photos Astro...
Now it makes sense...
That IS an Quadrajet... just made by Edelbrock, and they were 100% smog legal and compliant...
And now NLA...

Edelbrock Q-Jet Carburetors
Old 11-25-2012, 08:28 PM   #789
Airstream Driver

1997 30' Excella
1983 31' Airstream310
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Hi PeterH, I still remember your help when I was on the road many years ago and didn't have lights for night driving.
I haven't been on for a while, but I'm getting the old gal back into shape for a road trip to pick up my son from military boarding school in June 2013. It will be 9-12 hours each way. This MH has been mechanically very sound, but the systems sometimes have vexed me. Here is what I've done to my motorhome recently and in the past:

Added all the smog crap for California!

Replaced 4 barrel carb with new Edelbrock w/electric choke.

Ramco power side view mirrors.

Stereo with two additional speakers at the very front of the Tonneau cabinets behind the front seats.

Replaced central heating motherboard (almost froze to death by Mt. Shasta).

Replaced leaking hose behind toilet.

Replaced old fridge with used one (fits ok but not perfect).

Replaced leaking heater core.

Revamped battery compartment.

I think this thread is excellent in that it consolidates many great ideas in one easy to find blog!

Hi Astro, good to see you are still around. Must have been some 10 years ago when we last talked. Nice to see you are keeping the Moho running. I switched to a little bigger version with all the same issues and some...
As you know, once you own one of these classics, its hard to do without. I am lucky to have parking next to the house, under cover and in front of my shop. Makes it easy to work on and use it as a fully functioning guest house or backup apartment with power.
Good luck on your trip
AIR #13
PeterH-Airstreamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:48 PM   #790
Rivet Master

1992 30' Airstream 30
Thanks Peter and all the rest of you. I've gleened some good ideas in this thread. Peter, you had the '79 back then. My chassis was built in '79, but the coach was installed on it in 1981. It's titled as a 1981 Airstream, yet when I have to get parts, I have to say it's a 1979 GMC P30. So I know about this era MH.
Also, I'm interested in selling this since my boys will be gone so no need for two twin beds and my aching back in the gaucho. I'd like to find a Classic like Dakota has (last year made in '97? I think), but I want a 310, not longer. Did they make those? I like the nose on them. And I'd sure like an island Queen bed at the rear. I already have the hula girl!

I forgot to add that I installed Bilstein shocks all around and a Bilstein steering damper.

Changed out the old plastic gas filter with a metal canister type to prevent a fire.

Working on the dog house to insulate and dampen (planning for two years!). What's the best place to get the material?
Old 11-26-2012, 06:15 AM   #791
Airstream Driver

1997 30' Excella
1983 31' Airstream310
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Working on the dog house to insulate and dampen (planning for two years!). What's the best place to get the material?
Astro, I found 2 ways to deal with the doghouse insulation/heatshield
1. the fancy expensive way, which requires a super clean surface to stick it too, but you can also layer it for max insulation
Floor & Tunnel Shield II - Heat & Sound Insulation 050507 | Purchase DEI, CryO2, Ny-Trex, Boom Mat & SPA Turbo Products | Design Engineering, Inc. - Thermal Performance Products
2. The home depot way, buying a 4x8 insulating sheeting and some tight chicken wire. It is fast and easy to cut and can be fastened strategically with screws, as you can maybe see in the generator compartment of my old 79
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	doghouseshield.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	285.7 KB
ID:	173339   Click image for larger version

Name:	newgenerator-s.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	173340  

Name:	mesh.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	173341  
AIR #13
Old 11-26-2012, 08:48 AM   #792
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Joseph,

Ramco mirrors might be a good alternative over the Velvac mirrors. If I'm not mistaken the Ramco mirrors can tilt the heads separate from the mounts which would allow the mirror head to be parallel to the body and would also eliminate the aluminum adapter plate that we have been talking about.

Unfortunately I already have the Velvac mirrors so I will likely have to go the adapter plate method.

However even with Ramco mirrors you will still need to do something on the inside to provide additional support. I did a test fit of the Velvac mirror in the stock location and it's not good. I'll be posting to my restoration thread in a couple of days my findings about the original mirror location on the Argosy.

Brad
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:27 AM   #793
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
The heat and noise insulation of the genset and doghouse is a subject I did a lot of research on last year.
Balancing cost and weight vs noise reduction, I decided on MLV(Mass Loaded Vinyl) with closed cell foam backing for my genset compartment.
Spent a couple of hours with the helpful guys at Super Soundproofing and they gave me the full monty on what works. The MLV is available in various thicknesses, and sold by the linier foot at 48 or 56" wide.
Mass Loaded Vinyl Barrier Fireproof Soundproofing Material | Super Soundproofing

The MLF face is like vinyl tile, but more flexible, but impervious to oil etc. I asked about a alumized face version, and the guy said they apply HD cooking foil when they want that.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:27 AM   #794
Rivet Master

1992 30' Airstream 30
Brad,
You're right, the Ramcos have a ball swivel that allows you to tilt the mirror as needed. I think it was Keyair that moved his passenger one slightly aft to accomodate vision. I used the original holes and I do have to perform piruets to be able to get a good assessment of the blind spot.
Keyair, thanks for that link to Edelbrock QJ carbs. I didn't get any paperwork with it (except for the bill), so I'm glad you posted that. I suppose I could have found it on a search, but I need motivation for stuff like that.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:59 AM   #795
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Yes, it was me that moved my pass mirror a touch rearward, as the mirrors I have needed that.
Looks like you got lucky with that Carb... it was not a rebuilt unit.. they were new!

As posted on my thread...
New Aluminum bodied waterproof 10W LED lamps to replace(with some mods) the docking lamps... $12 each, shipped from Ebay..
They output at least 10w of pure white light... 900 lumens, and draw 1000ma.
For reference, the original 1156 style 21w bulbs put out about 400 lumens and draw about 29W and 2.1a.

Nice flat beam!
Old 12-08-2012, 07:36 AM   #796
Airstream Driver

1997 30' Excella
1983 31' Airstream310
Austin , Texas
The rewarding thing is what the Motorhome will give back to you, after all the gifts it receives all year long. Set up at Blanco SP for the 10th annual Christmas Gathering..
Happy Holidays to all of you
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	105_2529.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	720.3 KB
ID:	174153  
AIR #13
Old 12-09-2012, 10:17 PM   #797
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
Peter,
Great photo of your Classic Motorhome decorated for Christmas holiday camping. Maybe we need to start a new thread? I took mine last Christmas, complete with Vintage Aluminum tree on engine cover and color wheel on tree....
Thanks, Derek
Old 12-12-2012, 10:00 PM   #798
Rivet Master

1992 30' Airstream 30
I got her some new dog house insulation!

I ordered some from Speedway but found it was foiled on one side only. Then I looked around in my garage and found enough old stuff that I had pulled from my old CJ7's ceiling and used it instead. I like it better and I'll be returning the Speedway stuff shortly. Used 3M 77 adhesive spray and some old HVAC foil tape I found too.
I also bought some weatherstrip for the channels.

« Bus Kote | Top | - »