Old 06-15-2012, 08:40 AM   #687
3 Rivet Member

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Key West , Florida
I added this to the start capacitor on my rear ac that had not been working for about a year (fan would come on but not compressor) and it fixed it. So if your aft air is not working it is a cheap ($8.00) fix and only takes about 20m to finish. Most of the time I spent cleaning out the wasp nests and mouse pantry (corn piled up on top of capacitors I think it was mice). The start capacitor is the small one that has the yellow wire. Remember to bring a good pair of needle nose pliers with insulated handles when connecting the capacitors. Keep one had behind you as the are many mu farad and will send you off the roof (obviously do not have the power on when doing this).
The wires coming from the compressor will lead you to the compartment (front left on mach 3 coleman)

Old 06-15-2012, 11:07 AM   #688
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadstoy View Post
I love it that you can't say **** on this forum. Is that republican censorship!
Hi Dean, thanks for BOTH of the opinions......
I'm thinking the same about the color of the covers, figure that black covers or white covers make the A/C units 'stand out'. I'm thinking that the closest aluminum colored paint I can find, is going to be my color. Maybe I'll drive the Airstream to the Home Depot, pick out every color, walk out with them all and try till I find the one closest. Return the rest, lol.
Thanks, Derek

Old 06-15-2012, 11:21 AM   #689
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Redwood City , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazeevw

Hi Dean, thanks for BOTH of the opinions......
I'm thinking the same about the color of the covers, figure that black covers or white covers make the A/C units 'stand out'. I'm thinking that the closest aluminum colored paint I can find, is going to be my color. Maybe I'll drive the Airstream to the Home Depot, pick out every color, walk out with them all and try till I find the one closest. Return the rest, lol.
Thanks, Derek
I don't really like the tall cover on the Coleman 15000, but I needed the extra cooling...it will be over 100 degrees today. I've got the A\C on at 9am already to keep MH as cool as possible.

"We are free to go where we wish and to be what we are"
Richard Bach, Jonathan Livingston Seagall
dadstoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 07:35 PM   #690
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Dean,
To be honest, a 15000BTU unit is on my bucket list, actually 2 of them. It's amazing how the 13500 struggle to keep Airstream cool when parked in direct sunlight. Don't have the set-up to run rear A/C separately, so one unit barely will keep an area cool Don't care for the extra height either, but if it works.....
Old 06-16-2012, 12:14 PM   #691
Full Timers/Diesel power.

1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadstoy View Post
I don't really like the tall cover on the Coleman 15000, but I needed the extra cooling...it will be over 100 degrees today. I've got the A\C on at 9am already to keep MH as cool as possible.
I agree, I like the low profile of my Dometics, but I miss the cooling of the Colemans.
Old 06-16-2012, 01:49 PM   #692
Gunter

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Greenville , Ohio
I put on two 13,500 BTU Penguins, run them both at the same time; they will keep the motorhome cool in these 90 to 100 degree weather.
Old 06-24-2012, 09:29 AM   #693
2 Rivet Member

1984 31' Airstream310
Surprise , Arizona
Speaking of running both AC's at once. On my 310, it was my understanding that with the gen on, the rear ac will get power regardless of switch position in kitchen area. So I thought I could run both ac's at once with the gen alone. But I can't! I can only run one at a time. Whichever is selected on the multi-selector switch above kitchen sink. Do I need to be hooked to shore power to run two, or is something wrong with mine?
Old 06-24-2012, 09:59 AM   #694
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
Speaking of running both AC's at once. On my 310, it was my understanding that with the gen on, the rear ac will get power regardless of switch position in kitchen area. So I thought I could run both ac's at once with the gen alone. But I can't! I can only run one at a time. Whichever is selected on the multi-selector switch above kitchen sink. Do I need to be hooked to shore power to run two, or is something wrong with mine?
That was my understanding as well, concerning running both A/C's with generator. Selector switch on front A/C, rear A/C would run as well. Can't seem to get my genset running right now, or I'd go check my set up.
Thanks, Derek
Old 06-24-2012, 11:14 AM   #695
Gunter

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Greenville , Ohio
When running the generator both AC will run, with the Switch set on the Front AC the rear AC can be started also. You can also add a dedicated 120 volt AC cord and plug to the Rear AC at the Generator Transfer Switch to run both when using the campground AC by plugging in the normal 30 amp cord and the new 120 volt cord in the 15 amp standard plug. That is what I did based on suggestions on this forum.
Old 06-24-2012, 11:16 AM   #696
4 Rivet Member

1982 31' Airstream 310
Longview , Washington
On My 31 ft. that switch is for the micowave or the A/C! You have only 30 amp the run ever thing in the M/H. The A/C take 20 amp's. I did was repower My fuse box to 50 amps "Run bigger wire to the box & more fuse's".

I run a new wire to the gen-set for rear A/C. I put a switch in the Gen-set fuse box to A/C
Old 06-24-2012, 11:22 AM   #697
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfalsetto View Post
On My 31 ft. that switch is for the micowave or the A/C! You have only 30 amp the run ever thing in the M/H. The A/C take 20 amp's. I did was repower My fuse box to 50 amps "Run bigger wire to the box & more fuse's".

I run a new wire to the gen-set for rear A/C. I put a switch in the Gen-set fuse box to A/C
Alfa,
Possible for you to post photos of your switch set-up in genset compartment?
Love to know how to get this done. It's really hard trying to keep Aistream cool with only 1 A/C and don't want to use genset in campground just to have 2 A/C's running.
Thanks, Derek
Old 06-24-2012, 11:27 AM   #698
4 Rivet Member

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
boca raton , Florida
When the gen runs, it distributes from two breakers. One is a 30A and supplies all that is hooked up when on shore power. The second breaker is a 20A and should be wired direct to the second air unit through the switch over the cook top. You can redirect the 20A circut wiring to an outlet through an additional power cord to the power pole. Insturctions and all parts available through Power Solutions for about $100.
Old 06-24-2012, 06:33 PM   #699
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
I have to say that my 345's Dual AC is erratic.
First I could not get both to run with the Genset...
Posted and got the same answers.
I revisited it and had both running fine.
Now 3 months later I went to run both and cannot get them running together!
No idea why, but will get into it soon..

The Power Solutions kit that Raveson is talking about seems to be the thing to get...
Made by JTB Manufacturing...
Here is the quiz/diagostic page that will make sense I think!
Its now on my list..

JTB Manufacturing
Old 06-24-2012, 06:35 PM   #700
3 Rivet Member

1991 35' Airstream 350
Laurel , Maryland
I googled power solutions. Which one of the hundreds of power solutions should I look for the parts and instructions? I would like wire my Airstream the way you describe. Thank you.