Old 05-28-2012, 03:14 PM   #673
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Castro Valley , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
My latest mod was mounting a relators key box in an exterior hidden area with a full set of keys in it. The code is #### !
My previous owner mounted one of those keyboxes in an accessible area, but I didn't get the combination. I'll try your code to see that works!

Old 06-02-2012, 08:27 PM   #674
3 Rivet Member

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Key West , Florida
So after driving this thing with the new motor springs and shocks I was still not happy with the amount of steering that had to be done. When I was driving up the Keys with 25kt side winds it was full concentration to stay in my lane so the last step was Bell Cranks and do they ever help. I installed them on tuesday and we went for a drive up the Keys. We entered us-1 slowly at first, 45mph, then I sped up to 55 and there was a small suv that was driving at the same speed checking out the Airstream when a Porche flys up his butt and is being all pushy he does not let him by but I feel badly for him. I speed up to 60mph and he falls in behind me and the Porche flys by me and the little voice on my left shoulder told me to hit the gas (diesel) so we took off with some 800f/p of torque and in no time we are doing 87mph and passing the Porche all the while the steering and front end felt like a Porche, tight and right.

Old 06-02-2012, 09:22 PM   #675
4 Rivet Member

1982 31' Airstream 310
Longview , Washington
Try the Steer-Safe Stabilizer. It works I have it on My 1982 Airstream 31Ft
You can get on line or at Camping World.
Old 06-02-2012, 10:26 PM   #676
3 Rivet Member

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Key West , Florida
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-740929337.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	161.7 KB
ID:	159954

Sorry these did not attach earlier
Old 06-02-2012, 10:35 PM   #677
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirRowan View Post
We took off with some 800f/p of torque and in no time we are doing 87mph and passing the Porche all the while the steering and front end felt like a Porche, tight and right.
Freeking AWESOME!!
Old 06-03-2012, 09:48 AM   #678
Full Timers/Diesel power.

1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
I would have loved to have seen the look on the Porsche driver's face as Rowan came booking by!
Old 06-03-2012, 10:25 PM   #679
Rivet Master

1936 20' Clipper
1947 22' Liner
Curtis Wright
1989 37' Airstream 370
marshfield , Massachusetts
Rowan,

Now you're traveling in true Silver Bullet Style. Glad to hear it's running so well! Watch out Ferraris!!
Old 06-06-2012, 12:04 AM   #680
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
Well this isn't exactly what I got for my moho, this is the old one, the new one is in the coach.

Name:	DSCN0622.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	217.1 KB
ID:	160219

For those not familiar it is the flex plate which connects the crankshaft to the torque converter. As you can see the center part that bolts to the crankshaft is no longer connected to the rest of the plate that bolts to the torque converter.

As you can guess I was less than happy and yes we got to ride home with the AAA. Doing a little checking the thickness of this plate was .121". The plate I found at the local parts house was .111" thick. This was not a good solution so I kept looking. At Jegs I found one CSR 200 CSR Torque Master Flexplates= it is SFI spec 29.1 rated (a racing spec) and made from .187" thick 4130 chrome moly steel. When it arrived it measured .161" so I guess the .187" is before surfacing. For $200 I hope it lasts longer then the last one which lasted just short of 40,000 miles. Anyway it is in the coach and most of my bruises are healed.

Next in a weak moment I decided I should work on the water system. When we first got the coach a fitting behind the shower failed. I installed pex with Sharkbite fittings in the rear half of the coach. I was concerned with the original grey tubing in the front of the coach and was concerned about the vibrations and the Sharkbite fittings in the back. I've read a lot of differing opinions here about the Sharkbite fittings. Anyway I bought a crimping tool, some pex tubing and a bunch of fittings and went at it. After a few days of crawling around the hidden areas of the coach all the fresh water plumbing is new pex and all enclosed in urethane rubber insulation tubing. The bruises from that exercise are now almost healed.

Fortunately we are going camping next week so I get a little break. The reason we were driving around when the flex plate broke was to pick up new flooring for the coach. I put in cork last year and it didn't last during out four month trip last year so Irene picked out some Brazilian Teak and Lumber Liquidators was having their big annual sale. I took the passenger seat out of the smart and headed to Tacoma. I bought seven boxes and they gave me an eighth box for free. The poor smart was stuffed floor to roof and every little space we could find. The manager was so impressed he took pictures and posted on their company web site. Each box is 9" x 4" x 7' long. We had to cut the boxes open to get them all in the car. Anyway you have an idea of what I will be doing in a few weeks.

As it stands now I have only two more things to do and the coach will be finished, the inside and the outside.

Cheers, Dan
Old 06-06-2012, 09:21 AM   #681
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Flexplate

Flexplate damage often happens because of shifting from drive to reverse, or vise versa, before the vehicle comes to a complete stop, or trying to "rock" the vehicle from a muddy of ice situation. Not an expensive part, but labour intensive to install.

Dave
Old 06-07-2012, 03:43 AM   #682
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by masseyfarm View Post
Flexplate damage often happens because of shifting from drive to reverse, or vise versa, before the vehicle comes to a complete stop, or trying to "rock" the vehicle from a muddy of ice situation. Not an expensive part, but labour intensive to install.

Dave
Yes that can be an issue but the PO overheated the engine and the rebuilder failed to align the bell housing to the crankshaft. It destroyed two flexplates in about 1200 miles. The second one when we got the coach and were driving home. The trans guy found the bell housing to be .045" to one side. He took the guts out of the trans and bolted the case up to reset the alignment. He did the best he could but he said even the case after 100,000+ miles isn't really true. Also the diesel engine vibrates differently then the gas engine. Engine designers do balancing to mate the components. This engine was basically bolted up by Airstream and sent down the highway. I talked to an old timer at Sutton Airstream in Oregon and he remembered some coaches having vibration problems back in the day. Actually this flex plate used on a 454 has a balance weight while the 350 uses the same plate but without the weight. A couple of years ago I modified the trans mount to cut down on vibrations being transmitted to the coach. The coach runs and drives great now but it is 30 years old and stuff happens.

Cheers, Dan
Old 06-13-2012, 10:50 PM   #683
3 Rivet Member

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Key West , Florida
New capacitor for aft AC it is amazing how easy it is to fix a good old thing some times.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-1884365470.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	527.6 KB
ID:	160976  
Old 06-14-2012, 08:54 PM   #684
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirRowan View Post
New capacitor for aft AC it is amazing how easy it is to fix a good old thing some times.
Rowan,
How did you figure out this is what you needed? I'm having 'issues' with both of my A/C's at the moment. Aft A/C won't start up compressor, and front A/C is tripping breaker switch when it gets hot outside.....
Really thinking trouble with either (or both) could be that the covers are both painted black! Too damn hot in Florida to be having anything painted black. Project for tomorrow evening, climb up on top and remove covers, prep, and paint them white!
Thanks, Derek
Old 06-14-2012, 09:56 PM   #685
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Redwood City , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazeevw

Rowan,
How did you figure out this is what you needed? I'm having 'issues' with both of my A/C's at the moment. Aft A/C won't start up compressor, and front A/C is tripping breaker switch when it gets hot outside.....
Really thinking trouble with either (or both) could be that the covers are both painted black! Too damn hot in Florida to be having anything painted black. Project for tomorrow evening, climb up on top and remove covers, prep, and paint them white!
Thanks, Derek
There has been a lot of **** said about black a/c covers, but I've certainly seen my share of "big" motorhomes going down the highway and in the campgrounds on this last trip with black a/c covers, new right from the factory, so paint away black if you want! I will eventually paint mine the dark gray so that hopefully the taller cover doesn't stand out as much. No lectures on black please!

"We are free to go where we wish and to be what we are"
Richard Bach, Jonathan Livingston Seagall
dadstoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 09:57 PM   #686
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Redwood City , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadstoy

There has been a lot of **** said about black a/c covers, but I've certainly seen my share of "big" motorhomes going down the highway and in the campgrounds on this last trip with black a/c covers, new right from the factory, so paint away black if you want! I will eventually paint mine the dark gray so that hopefully the taller cover doesn't stand out as much. No lectures on black please!
I love it that you can't say **** on this forum. Is that republican censorship!

"We are free to go where we wish and to be what we are"
Richard Bach, Jonathan Livingston Seagall
dadstoy is offline   Reply With Quote