Old 01-10-2012, 12:46 PM   #519
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrtle lynn View Post
A new alternator, fuel pump, plug wires. Driving her down to Key West on Friday. Wish me luck!

Yes, post you progress in Dereks, "Where did you drive your Classic Motorhome today?" Thread!

Old 01-10-2012, 09:26 PM   #520
3 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Milton , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazeevw View Post
Ok,
So, life has it's advantages when you have connections. Before my current 'career' as a Postal Letter Carrier, I professionally installed commercial grade wallpaper.
At my folks home over the weekend, and what did I find? Some great wallpaper to cover over the ugly glossy brown paint in the bathroom, as well, as more wallpaper to cover the half-a$$ed sponge painting job in the kitchen area Thanks, Derek
What type of paste/glue will you be using for the wallpaper? Seems like the regular stuff won't stick on glossy surfaces (or any other kind when I use it )

Are you replacing your counter tops? I was thinking of using the "Granite Transformations" outfit since they only use a veneer and you don't have to replace the whole surface. I have seen some bad reviews about them tho.

Old 01-10-2012, 10:54 PM   #521
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
To put wallpaper over anything glossy, you have to have what's called a 'Vinyl Prep'. You roll or brush the vinyl prep over the surfaces, and let it dry completely. It leaves the surface with a 'sanded' finish. Perfect to install wallpaper at that point. As well, should you choose to change out wallpaper at a later time, grab a corner, and pull, that simple. Used this stuff on glass before and wallpapered over it.
For now, keeping the Corian countertop, even though the stuff is likely heavier than granite. Thinking at some point I'll replace, but at this point, I have no idea what to use for replacement. Tampa RV Supershow this week, maybe I'll get some ideas......
Thanks, Derek
Old 01-11-2012, 08:50 AM   #522
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Leesburg , Georgia
Quote:
Ok,
as well, as more wallpaper to cover the half-a$$ed sponge painting job in the kitchen area (you can see the sponge paint in 3rd pix)
And thanks to Elbundi, I purchased his NuTone countertop blender/mixer which arrived today! Perfect Andy, it's great!
Do post some pics once you have your food center up and running.

Redoing that sponge-bob paint job in your kitchen may act as a gateway fix and lead to a whole bunch of other fixes in that area

All I did was cover that same area in mine with stainless steel, now the cooktop, kitchen sink and shelf underneath the sink are gone and counter top stripped of everything ready to be a template for a new one!

Just waiting for a paycheck, come on Jan 31. Quartz is what I'm leaning towards. Will post progress when there is some.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:55 AM   #523
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Wouldn't you know it, have the whole week off, got LOTS done on Sunday, then got sick on Monday and Tuesday. Finally able to get stripper off the roof this morning. FYI, if you can't get stripper off within 24 hours, you've wasted your time and stripper. Oh well, lesson learned!
Now, to see if I can't get that Univolt out!
Thanks, Derek
Old 01-11-2012, 09:57 AM   #524
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Redwood City , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by elbundi

Do post some pics once you have your food center up and running.

Redoing that sponge-bob paint job in your kitchen may act as a gateway fix and lead to a whole bunch of other fixes in that area

All I did was cover that same area in mine with stainless steel, now the cooktop, kitchen sink and shelf underneath the sink are gone and counter top stripped of everything ready to be a template for a new one!

Just waiting for a paycheck, come on Jan 31. Quartz is what I'm leaning towards. Will post progress when there is some.
I'm close to tearing out my kitchen counter as well. I would love to see some pics of your kitchen torn down and some pics of the stainless. We're did you get the stainless?

Thanks
Dean

"We are free to go where we wish and to be what we are"
Richard Bach, Jonathan Livingston Seagall
dadstoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 06:17 PM   #525
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Two Costco GC2 6V Golf Cart Batteries!
Man those puppies are heavy!
Tested them when I got them home, and they were within 0.02V of each other.
They are sitting in my garage connected in parallel having a good solid 14.2V @ 8A from my Battery Minder for 24 hours
Old 01-11-2012, 06:31 PM   #526
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Redwood City , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyair
Two Costco GC2 6V Golf Cart Batteries!
Man those puppies are heavy!
Tested them when I got them home, and they were within 0.02V of each other.
They are sitting in my garage connected in parallel having a good solid 14.2V @ 8A from my Battery Minder for 24 hours
Nice! I saw those at Costco in Idaho when visiting my brother last summer. I looked down here, but they don't have them. I went for two Interstate 6 volts instead. Yes they are heavy! When I bought mine, I told the salesman that he has to throw in the battery carry strap or I won't be able to set them in the hole under the step in the Motorhome. Yup, for the price of those Interstate batteries, he threw it in!

"We are free to go where we wish and to be what we are"
Richard Bach, Jonathan Livingston Seagall
dadstoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 08:17 PM   #527
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Florescent to LED

So,
After ordering and receiving 1500 LED light strips, I finally pulled one of the florescent fixtures.
Maybe I've gone a bit overboard here (132 LED's), but figure I can use this over the kitchen area.
At this rate, I need to order more LED's on eBay! lol.
Thanks, Derek
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LED.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	252.5 KB
ID:	148756  
Old 01-11-2012, 08:57 PM   #528
4 Rivet Member

1982 31' Airstream 310
Longview , Washington
I get all my battery from Costco and had good luck.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:07 PM   #529
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Yes, Paid $89.99 each.
They ran at 14.4V on charge for about 5 hours... I just went to check, and it had detected they were charged to perfection and had dropped to 13.2V.

I had a battery go dead on my Suburban, so used that as one of the $9 refunds, and will use the old deep cycle that died as the other..

As the saying goes..
He giveth, and taketh away...
My Dad gave me the cash to get the batteries...All part of my parents Airstream donation!
Then he mistakenly took my camera cable back to the UK with him... so no pics until I find a replacement!
Old 01-12-2012, 09:12 AM   #530
4 Rivet Member

Leesburg , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadstoy View Post
I'm close to tearing out my kitchen counter as well. I would love to see some pics of your kitchen torn down and some pics of the stainless. We're did you get the stainless?

Thanks
Dean
Stainless from these guys
Copper Sheet, Stainless Steel, Aluminum Diamond Plate, Decorative Metals - in stock for quick shipping.

Not the greatest photo, and have since removed the lower shelf under where the sink was which had been leaked on for years. It had quite a bow and will have to compensate when cutting a new one. The wall paper on the back has also been removed since this photo was taken.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	S1400002.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	278.4 KB
ID:	148765  
Old 01-12-2012, 09:13 PM   #531
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Andy,
Please tell me where your Univolt is located. Looks as if the couple years difference between mine and yours also means a different location as well.
Thanks, Derek
Old 01-12-2012, 11:41 PM   #532
4 Rivet Member

Leesburg , Georgia
Quote:
Andy,
Please tell me where your Univolt is located. Looks as if the couple years difference between mine and yours also means a different location as well.
Thanks, Derek
Derek

Mine was under the large drawer under the cooktop. Replaced it with an Intellipower a couple yrs ago.