Well guys I had bought two Maxxair 6200k deluxe fans a year or so ago and seeing Mayco's rig with the rear fan told me it could be done..........so......sorry no pics as I forgot the camera.
Yesterday I built a scaffold that could be easy moved from the middle vent to the rear as I wanted a new fan to replace the stock one in the middle of the coach and a new rear one that doesn't exist in the rear lounge.
Today John came over, (5 hr round trip drive) to help me install the fans. 95 F with humidity, and he even bought me lunch!!
We started on the middle one as we wanted to get a jist for how many wires we could expect cutting open the rear. In the middle vent we found a few 12 volt
wires to the passenger side and a 120 volt to the drivers side. Cutting the opening 14" square with a Fein saw we got the fan installed with no problem.
Once we moved the scaffold to the back over the end cap, John handed me the Fein saw with a look that said, I don't want to be responsible for what could happen next. I managed to just barely cut through the outer skin as I knew wires were just underneath; we found wires everywhere, which I had managed to miss. A handful of 12 volt
to the passenger side and another two 120 volt on the drivers side; all travelling through wiring looms that were applied to the aluminum panel that I had just cut out. It turns out that Airstream supplies a hot and ground wire there as I guess a rear fan was an option, and had bundled them up inside the 12 volt
loom; so it was a breeze to put the rear fan in without having to cut any wires or find a suitable circuit to tap into.
It was a long day but now I have two great fans and a very happy wife.
Not a hard job to do 5/10 but the old motto, measure twice, cut once applies (I cut a 14x14" blank to trace around and use as a cutting fence). Pucker factor however is a high 8/10, cutting into the outer skin and making sure not to knick or cut wires that are just below the surface of the skin. In retrospect it probably would have been safer to go from below, but messy and if it wasn't possible to mount the fan due to some reason I could have patch the outside and no one would know. If I had cut the inside and it wasn't possible to mount the fan due to some reason, it would have been impossible to patch well.
Big thanks to John coming down to help as there were aspects, especially cutting the aluminum where someone placing pressure against the aluminum skin with a piece of wood kept the aluminum from flapping around while the other cut it.