Old 05-02-2016, 12:29 PM   #1415
Airstream Driver

1997 30' Excella
1983 31' Airstream310
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefair View Post
Attachment 261711

Current buy: new speedometer driven gear to correct speedo readings. My switch to metric sized tires resulted in a 6 mph error in speed readings.

1982 310 motorhome 454
Henniker New Hampshire
Looks like you got the green 42 gear. How did you know which one to get?

AIR #13
PeterH-Airstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 02:16 PM   #1416
3 Rivet Member

1982 31' Airstream 310
Henniker , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterH-Airstreamer View Post
Looks like you got the green 42 gear. How did you know which one to get?
Actually I had the 42 tooth. The picture is of 44 and 45 tooth gears. I was unsure which would be correct, so I bought both. The 45 was the winner. Some info I read said each tooth results in a change of 2.5%, other info I saw said about 3 mph per tooth. I bought both to hedge my bets. I determined my error using my GPS and travelling at a steady 60 mph. After swapping the 42 for the 45, I am within 1 mph. I wish all of my projects were this simple!

Old 05-29-2016, 06:42 PM   #1417
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Well guys I had bought two Maxxair 6200k deluxe fans a year or so ago and seeing Mayco's rig with the rear fan told me it could be done..........so......sorry no pics as I forgot the camera.

Yesterday I built a scaffold that could be easy moved from the middle vent to the rear as I wanted a new fan to replace the stock one in the middle of the coach and a new rear one that doesn't exist in the rear lounge.

Today John came over, (5 hr round trip drive) to help me install the fans. 95 F with humidity, and he even bought me lunch!!

We started on the middle one as we wanted to get a jist for how many wires we could expect cutting open the rear. In the middle vent we found a few 12 volt wires to the passenger side and a 120 volt to the drivers side. Cutting the opening 14" square with a Fein saw we got the fan installed with no problem.

Once we moved the scaffold to the back over the end cap, John handed me the Fein saw with a look that said, I don't want to be responsible for what could happen next. I managed to just barely cut through the outer skin as I knew wires were just underneath; we found wires everywhere, which I had managed to miss. A handful of 12 volt to the passenger side and another two 120 volt on the drivers side; all travelling through wiring looms that were applied to the aluminum panel that I had just cut out. It turns out that Airstream supplies a hot and ground wire there as I guess a rear fan was an option, and had bundled them up inside the 12 volt loom; so it was a breeze to put the rear fan in without having to cut any wires or find a suitable circuit to tap into.

It was a long day but now I have two great fans and a very happy wife.

Not a hard job to do 5/10 but the old motto, measure twice, cut once applies (I cut a 14x14" blank to trace around and use as a cutting fence). Pucker factor however is a high 8/10, cutting into the outer skin and making sure not to knick or cut wires that are just below the surface of the skin. In retrospect it probably would have been safer to go from below, but messy and if it wasn't possible to mount the fan due to some reason I could have patch the outside and no one would know. If I had cut the inside and it wasn't possible to mount the fan due to some reason, it would have been impossible to patch well.

Big thanks to John coming down to help as there were aspects, especially cutting the aluminum where someone placing pressure against the aluminum skin with a piece of wood kept the aluminum from flapping around while the other cut it.

Cheers
Tony

Its a recession when your neighbor loses his job; its a depression when you lose your own. "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 07:11 PM   #1418
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Without pictures, it didn't happen.....just sayin.....
bkahler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 10:36 PM   #1419
Rivet Master

1994 36' Classic 36 Diesel
Manhattan , Kansas
Great Story! Wish we all lived closer to each other so we could do this sort of thing for fun!
Old 05-30-2016, 01:27 AM   #1420
3 Rivet Member

1983 31' Airstream310
Santa Cruz , California
Tony, what blade did you use in the Fein tool?
Old 05-30-2016, 06:01 AM   #1421
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
You'll like the new fans Tony. Most of the time I run mine with one blowing in and one blowing out. I have had zero problems with the Maxair Deluxe fans, bought about the same time you did, on sale for 1/2 price. Glad your install went smooth, Im not surprised that you had power already there. Airstream seemed to do that often for optional equipment.

Good thing John was able to be there to hold your hand.......I MEAN "assist" in the install.

Mike
Old 05-31-2016, 04:33 AM   #1422
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by dljosephson View Post
Tony, what blade did you use in the Fein tool?
I used a straight blade as that happened to be the only one the boss had in the case. I was hoping he had a half moon or curved blade as that would have been easier to start the cut. It was Fein.

Cheers
Tony

Its a recession when your neighbor loses his job; its a depression when you lose your own. "Harry S Truman"
Old 05-31-2016, 04:48 AM   #1423
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayco View Post
You'll like the new fans Tony. Most of the time I run mine with one blowing in and one blowing out. I have had zero problems with the Maxair Deluxe fans, bought about the same time you did, on sale for 1/2 price. Glad your install went smooth, Im not surprised that you had power already there. Airstream seemed to do that often for optional equipment.

Good thing John was able to be there to hold your hand.......I MEAN "assist" in the install.

Mike
The last time I held a guys hand was on a set of islands in the south Atlantic as a Pacura laid down 20 mike mike and 7.62 mike mike fire, attempting to flush me and my spotter out from OP below a ridge line. We held each other hands under our Ghillie suits to keep each other from moving as there was no bloody cover in the Falklands at all, just scrub and sheep. If we had moved, it would have been the end of us. I actually took a bit of shrapnel in the leg from the attack but not enough to seek medical about; just a flesh wound us Brits say.

One of the blokes in my unit actually joked about putting wool in his Ghillie suit. The RSM took a dim view of that.

Cheers
Tony

Old 05-31-2016, 01:46 PM   #1424
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Tony, that just sounds absolutly horrifying. Having never served, its hard to relate to experiences like that. Youre a brave soul you are.

Mike
Old 05-31-2016, 06:30 PM   #1425
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayco View Post
Tony, that just sounds absolutly horrifying. Having never served, its hard to relate to experiences like that. Youre a brave soul you are.

Mike
Not really, when you're 17 you're invincible; also kept looking on the positive side......he was eventually going to run out of ammunition.

I think I was more scared following John on the way home as he took an on ramp at a speed far greater than I thought was prudent...... I figured if he tipped over, then I would brake.

Cheers
Tony

Old 05-31-2016, 08:53 PM   #1426
Rivet Master

1994 36' Classic 36 Diesel
Manhattan , Kansas
At least you got to have an all expense paid with accomodations trip to an island. That's a good deal!
Old 06-14-2016, 08:31 PM   #1427
4 Rivet Member

1979 24' Airstream Excella 24
Tipp City , Ohio
Purple Power works great!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1540[1].jpg
Views:	101
Size:	250.4 KB
ID:	264492
I have been using this stuff to remove the sticky film on the vinyl covered wall panels. It really works great! Spray it on, wipe it of with a paper towel and Whalla! I found it at O'Rielly's for like 6 bucks, not everything we buy for our Airstreams has to cost a fortune.
Old 07-15-2016, 06:08 PM   #1428
3 Rivet Member

1983 31' Airstream310
Iowa City , Iowa
Replaced the RM100 fridge...

The original fridge finally gave up the ghost on our recent trip to northern Minnesota, so we ordered a Dometic 3762 from Camping World online.

It arrived the day after we got home and only required a 1 1/2 inch pad underneath in order to fit into the old slot, and the hookups were easy.

Let's just say this is quite an upgrade from the 33 year old RM100!

Auretrvr is offline   Reply With Quote