Old 01-04-2015, 05:57 PM   #1
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Weeping cuz I can't get'em

Happy New Year all:

A number of people have written over the years about replacement weep hole covers. They are out of stock at Inland and Airstream from what I have been told.
Raveson very nicely prototyped and had made new weep hole covers out of copper I do believe. I had only just bought my coach the very month Raveson was placing the order, so I was new and not sure what to order. See link below.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f311...ers-93056.html

I need new weep hole covers and I'm thinking of 3D printing them either out of ABS or a nylon substrate. It seems they can laser scan whatever item you have need of copying, and then easily printing as many as you want. Has anyone had any experience with 3D printing and would know if this was economically feasible?

Cheers
Tony

Its a recession when your neighbor loses his job; its a depression when you lose your own. "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 06:24 PM   #2
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Economical feasible... vs not being able to get any...

I would think nylon plastic with UV inhibitors would be the way to go.

Aaron

WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 06:56 PM   #3
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Do you know if the molds exist Tony, so they just need to reach a minimum quantity?

There is one company near to me that 3D prints the mold - the cost of the mold start at $1500 so isn't going to be cheap. Their minimum quantity after making the mold is 25. To make the mold they first generate a STEP file in SolidWorks - I have access to SolidWorks and could probably draw something up but would first have to get over to the shop and remove one of my (few) existing covers.

As you say there is probably a tipping point between 3D printing or even machining the pieces vs making the mold.

I have never had anything 3D printed, but I regularly have small Delrin machined parts made by a couple of companies in California - the raw materials are very cheap but you are looking at several tens/maybe even a hundred dollars each, as soon as anything needs machining, even if running the same program against an existing STEP.

If you are getting some made, count me in, or even if you want me to help with drawings and contacts I am more than happy to.
Old 01-04-2015, 07:29 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 35' Airstream 350
Carriere , Mississippi
Send a message via Skype™ to wxbuoy
I think 3d printing would be the way to go. Often thought about buying one to be able to replace some hard to find/get parts.

I have a 3 extras (original stock and what Raveson made) 2 large and 1 small. If someone wants to scan/convert to print file I will be happy to lend them out. Just let me know...... I will get some as well since the weak point is the attachment hole for the rivet.

On a separate note they seem easy enough (if desperate) to make out of aluminum the way Raveson's friend did.
Old 01-04-2015, 08:06 PM   #5
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
There is a website that shows available 3D capability for rent near to any ZIP code (3D printers | makexyz.com) - seems more economic rather than buying the printer outright. But it seems not all 3D printers are created equally and some of the fancier materials (for example UV stable ASA) need special print systems.
Old 01-04-2015, 09:18 PM   #6
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Thanks all for the imput.

Martin I have no idea about the mold existing or not.

What I was trying to do was to sidestep the mold process and have the 3D actually make the part either out of metal or nylon. The parts are so small I would imagine that multiple parts could be made at the same time instead of one at a time. I have found a place that will laser scan what you wish to replicate and then copy it to the printer. I will investigate as everyone will be getting back to work soon.
If I need anymore help though Martin I will get your advice as it seems that you're at least knowledgable about the process.

Wxbuoy I may have to take you up on the small cover up in the drivers area as all of mine are gone.

I will keep everyone in the loop.

Cheers
Tony

Its a recession when your neighbor loses his job; its a depression when you lose your own. "Harry S Truman"
Old 01-07-2015, 02:08 PM   #7
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Hi Tony.....are these the covers (Weep Hole Cover (Large))

VTS say they have them in stock

- Martin
Old 01-07-2015, 03:57 PM   #8
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
I have just been told by the guys at Airstream of New England (who are working on my Argosy) that they called AS and been told they have them in stock as well....
Old 01-07-2015, 11:07 PM   #9
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Absolutely perfect and for probably a hellava lot cheaper than I could get them printed in 3D......

Okay so what about the small ones????? Does AS have them too I wonder? If not maybe I can adapt a large to fit?

Thanks Martin
Cheers
Tony

Old 01-08-2015, 12:38 AM   #10
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
VTS have the small ones listed, and the message I got from from the shop was AS have the small ones (1 3/4") as well.

Guess we must be lucky and they have had another batch made.