Old 11-02-2005, 07:34 AM   #1
Rivet Master
1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Weep Hole Cover$

I started to remove my windows. Yesterday was spent removing one window, the rear curb side window. My service manual gave detailed directions which I followed and I was able to get the screen out with those directions. However, the windows needed another 1/8 to 3/16 of an inch to get over the track. I was not going to pry them in fear of breaking the glass. Next I called Airstream since there were parts that were not on the diagram and I thought maybe they had a trick for getting the windows out. Jim helped me identify the parts and said sometimes the guys used a block of wood. What I did was to fashion a block of wood which is tapered and tapped it into the channel until it expanded enough to allow the windows to slide out. Then I started scraping the old fuzzy stuff out, using a heat gun helped quite a bit but it took over an hour to get the channel clean. just in time to tape on some plastic before it got dark.
Oh yeah, the weep hole covers. I had to remove all three of them to get the outside window off and brkoe each of them as I drilled out the rivet. I will have to replace 28 of them at this pace at a going cost of almost $300 which would double the cost of this job! The plastic does not hold up over the years and I plan to have Chummy for many more years. Has anyone used a substitute? How about a lower cost suggestion? I am thinking of extruded aluminum or stainless steel.

Chaplain Kent
1994 30' Excella 1000, Chummy III- Ford Excursion- 7.3 Turbo-diesel
Chaplain Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 07:48 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member
canton , tx
Good Morning Chaplain Kent. I wish I had an answer for you. However I'm in your boat. Most of the weep hole covers on my 79mh are missing. I hope your inquiry is successful. I will be hanging onto your coattails. Joe

rvlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 09:09 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
too bad you missed these;
1966 Overlander
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote