Old 04-02-2015, 12:25 AM   #1

1983 31' Airstream310
Santa Cruz , California
We did it! (bought a 310)

I'm very new to airforums, but my wife Lani Kai has been a regular here for a little while. She's lead the charge on finding a 310 for us, and she found a beauty in Tennessee for us.
She flew out last Saturday and sealed the deal on Monday. I knew once she got to see it in person she'd want to drive it back ASAP, so she is making the trek back to Monterey Bay while I navigate from home. (I couldn't get the time off & we were leaning toward getting it shipped home)
The new rig is an Isuzu diesel and running strong. She is 2 days into the drive and noticed a bit of trans fluid on the ground at a rest stop. So she is stopping at the Camping World outside Little Rock to have them take a look at the trans. If all goes well she can hopefully get some miles on the road and avoid any nasty weather thru OK.
She sent me some pics from the road so I thought I'd share them with y'all and say Hi!
Looking forward good times in an Airstream!
pic1
pic2
pic3
pic4

Old 04-02-2015, 07:19 AM   #2
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Looks nice! I hope she has a safe trip home.

1995 Ford F250 7.3L PowerStroke
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 07:30 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Welcome to the world of 310s. Great rigs (biased). I know you guys have been looking for a long time, good on ya! Hamilton engine sales in Portland Oregon will be your best friends for Isuzu parts. Ive had great service from them, they know that motor well. One thing you might want to do right off the bat is get the serial number off the block of your motor, youll need it for ordering parts. Its a little hard to find but its stamped on the block on the drivers side. Flash light, wire brush, and some spray cleaner of some sort to find it. There is another number stamped on the passenger side also, I believe its the engine model number.
Good luck with the new rig!!!

Mike
Old 04-02-2015, 11:51 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Honokaa , Hawaii
Congratulations, and welcome! Since she's made it this far and she's obviously paying attention she probably won't need it, but just in case: roadside assistance insurance is a wonderful thing. Get some if you don't have it already.
Old 04-02-2015, 02:55 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
CA , California
We have AAA premium and should be fine. Mud daubers blocked up a release valve and pressure caused the fluid to go back up the dipstick. All cleaned out and back on the road now. Leaving Little Rock Arkansas.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1428004499608.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	235459  
Old 04-02-2015, 03:41 PM   #6

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I love a simple fix!

Great looking rig, You're going to have a lot of fun with that!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 03:50 PM   #7
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Marietta , Georgia
Pretty unit. It appears the TV antenna is not all the way down in the pictures.
Old 04-02-2015, 04:00 PM   #8
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
I'm very impressed....Wife travels from California to Tennessee, closes the deal on a sweet 310 and decides, what the hey, has the Kahuna's to drive a new to her, 30+ old queen back to California where anything and everything could go wrong.
On top of that, manages to catch a small tranny leak and knows where to take it to get looked at?????? You wife seriously rocks This does bring up the question as to who wears the pants in the family;but seriously....definitely a keeper.

My wife would have looked at me holding aircraft tickets and said where's Tennessee???? and you want me to do what?????? Give her credit though, she has driven the Mistress, although my heart couldn't take too much of that.

Welcome to the Isuzu diesel nut house
Cheers
Tony

Its a recession when your neighbor loses his job; its a depression when you lose your own. "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 05:46 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
CA , California
Antenna is not down. Tried replacing the fuse. Behind the control panel. Got a spark by accident but did not get the antenna down. It seems to not be up all the way either, so decided to ignore it and get home.
Old 04-02-2015, 05:48 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
CA , California
Currently stuck behind a horrible accident westbound on I40. As one of the truckers said "glad to be stuck in the traffic, not that mess."
Old 04-02-2015, 07:34 PM   #11
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Please don't drive fatigued as driving these old coaches with worn out steering crank bells and no front air bags is very tough on a long haul. Take as many breaks as you can.

Keep the rubber side down and wishing you all the best
Cheers
Tony

Its a recession when your neighbor loses his job; its a depression when you lose your own. "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 08:25 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Honokaa , Hawaii
Our original antenna had a hand crank on the ceiling to raise and lower it. The mechanism was stripped and I ended up removing the antenna entirely, but that was how it was supposed to work.
Old 04-02-2015, 09:35 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
CA , California
The book I found in it showed me how to operate the window locks (that was tricky) but it only showed the electric controls and where the fuse was. I think this is original.

As far as driving tired you are right. We lost a friend to that in August. Now I help watch his kids so their mom can work on Fridays. She found another sitter for tomorrow. I am only driving during the day and stopping every 100 miles or so. The ride actually seems pretty good and certainly something I can do for long straight sections with just one hand and a really light hold. Since it is all so new the concentration is what is really exhausting. Checking mirrors. Checking ahead. Checking gauges, checking ahead. Checking... Oh, look. It is so pretty... Wait. Check ahead...
At least the potholes have helped me find my tires. F-ing potholes!

I am trying to get up early with the light for max drive time. It did not help much today.
Gas station owner last night told me to try camping world for leaks. Called them. They said sure. Come in the morning. When I got there I understood that the only will touch the home part, not the motor part. Sent me to a truck place down the road. Went there and they only do Freightliner's.

Sent me to Chevrolet. Getting smarter again, I called first. They sent me to West End Garage. Called them and they said bring it in. I did and they were so nice and had me back on the road in less than two hours. Yeah!

So, made it a little ways before getting stuck behind the accident. Called that a break and made it to Fort Smith Arkansas. Back in the road early AM.

Here she is in the shop.

Sorry about the typos. Small phone and autocorrect is insane sometimes.

For those who wonder, every time I stop I drop a pin on Google maps and send it to my DH (Pauli Lama), and every time I leave I send him a pin of where I hope to go and have Google navigate for me.

Pauli scouts ahead for me And suggests good places. I would never have done this without the technology or without him.

Plus we also talk on the phone lots when I am not driving and he talks me through all kinds of things.

Good night all. Thanks for the well wishes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1428028037292.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	235476  
Old 04-02-2015, 09:52 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Hanalei, /Chino Valley , Hawaii / Arizona
Welcome aboard Paul, and big congrats to you and Lani Kai on getting into your new coach. It looks nice and the trip log is great.

Lani you are doing really well on your delivery trip, good catch on the mud dauber nest. Stoked the shop got you on your way so quickly.

Sounds like you are getting bonded with the new ride, keep us posted on the trip and the ongoing story of your streaming adventures

Cheers Richard