Old 04-16-2015, 02:44 PM   #57
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
CA , California
That would make sense because there is no other power for the rear ac. I like it.

Old 04-20-2015, 10:07 PM   #58
3 Rivet Member

1983 31' Airstream310
Santa Cruz , California
Hello LaniKai, welcome back to Santa Cruz with your new addition. We also have an 83 310 diesel that has been causing a lot of frustration due to a brake issue, but I have finally found a mechanic here who understands the problem and is working on it. The coach is parked inside one of the garage condos on Shaffer Road and we are here on the west side. We also had to do some fence modifications but with one of us driving and the other one watching from the outside we can squeeze it by the side of the house with a couple inches to spare. I may be able to help with the generator transfer switch, it is a simple system but works fine once you have chased the bugs and dirt out. PM me if you would like to connect.

Old 04-20-2015, 11:36 PM   #59
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
CA , California
We replaced the switch yesterday and Paul has pictures to post. I am going to message you. I want your mechanic's number.

Generator guy will come tomorrow morning just to look and give a tune-up. After that then the whole coach goes to someone for the mechanical inspections. I was thinking the people on 17th, but have not called them yet. I know I should have done that before buying it and driving it across the county, but I didn't.

Our driveway seems to be just long enough to park the airstream inside the yet to be build gate and then park our van in front of the gate and not hang over the sidewalk. Just barely. Also just barely room to get our bikes out of the garage and down next to the airstream every day because we bike commute the few blocks to work. We live and work downtown near Ocean Street. So now we will drive our cars even less. Without the annual trip miles who knows how our cars will get any miles.

Those garages look sweet. We will check them out for when we have to store it.

So glad to have someone else close to ask questions of. When the switch was not working we thought we were missing a switch inside the coach because it was working in Tennessee and we did not know how it was supposed to transfer. We thought we did something and I thought I had just missed it when the PO had tried to show me. Eventually we just started tracing the wires and figured it out. Could have saved some time if we had known what to look for or how it worked. It is so hard to look for things you do not know the name of or what they do or if they exist. We really were looking for a switch like the AC/Mircowave switch. Now we know.

So much to learn.
Old 04-21-2015, 01:29 AM   #60

1983 31' Airstream310
Santa Cruz , California
OK, here are some pics of the transfer switch swap that we did...
The old one was finished, plastic and metal bits out of whack. Got a new one in short order. Made labels for the wires and worked methodically. It took quite a few hours, but I think we did OK! We have shore power!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	badbox.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	320.9 KB
ID:	236740   Click image for larger version

Name:	labels.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	344.6 KB
ID:	236741  

Name:	wired.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	310.4 KB
ID:	236742   Click image for larger version

Name:	done.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	334.6 KB
ID:	236743  

Old 04-21-2015, 11:35 PM   #61
3 Rivet Member

1983 31' Airstream310
Santa Cruz , California
Paul and Lani, looks like you are making progress. That transfer relay puzzles a lot of people. I am guessing you don't have the manual for the Airstream -- I suppose a date at an OfficeMax or something is in order. I'll be at the garage again tomorrow for another session with the mechanic. I have no reports on the place on 17th but was not impressed when I drove through there a few years ago.

The old Onan generator, if it's the same NH model as in mine, is worth some effort to get and keep in good order. They are very simple and reliable, and run at 1800 rpm which is a lot less noisy than the modern ones running at 3600 (unless you have the most modern, soundproofed ones.) They sound very labored when starting because there is no separate starter, just starter windings in the main generator head.
Old 04-22-2015, 02:51 AM   #62
4 Rivet Member

2006 22' Interstate
Mont Vernon , New Hampshire
i know this may sound odd, but put some scotch tape over the end of your markers. The glue in the marker tape will disintegrate with heat and all the markers will fall off (from experience). Colored electrical tape and sharpie markers work well also

Congrats on the 310. We had a 345 we enjoyed very much.

Bugs
Old 04-26-2015, 11:48 AM   #63
3 Rivet Member

1983 31' Airstream310
Iowa City , Iowa
Another cheaper but less convenient transfer switch option...

I was reluctant to pay the cost of a new transfer switch, so I wired a 30 amp outlet into a box in place of the old transfer switch.

It is wired as an outlet for the genset. When you plug the landline in to it you are boon docking.

Like I say it's less convenient but also less costly.

Auretrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 07:49 PM   #64
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
CA , California
Finally took her out. First pic is the water stuff that took us days to figure out. There were mud daubers in the drain pipe.

Then we went to Pillar Point RV park in Half Moon Bay. We saw another 83 motorhome which lives there and a few trailers.

Then we went to Little Basin for a night.

I found the aluminum cat at the flea market and it just got a new coat of paint so it can watch the door for us.
Our hot water heater and the rest of the water system seem to work perfectly after we removed all the wasp nests and mud dauber nests (another kind of wasp).

Now we are trying to figure out the the refrigerator. It seems to work on propane. Not on 110 and I am trying the 12 volt now. Lots of wires were loose in the back. We looked at everything we could find and we thought we had them all together right. We might, but we have more testing to do.

Turning on the fans in the bathroom areas broke the blade parts off the working motors because of the large amounts of wasp nests and mud dauber nests that were in there. I just ordered new blade parts. Seems easy enough.

Our theme is "It could be worse. There could be wasps!"
We only see nests.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1435279434645.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	241600   Click image for larger version

Name:	1435279489099.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	241601  

Name:	1435279520224.jpg
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	241602   Click image for larger version

Name:	1435279546091.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	241603  

Name:	1435279601324.jpg
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	241604  
Old 06-26-2015, 12:25 PM   #65
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayco View Post
I dont think the 310 has two transfer switches like the 345. Two circuits from the genny yes, one to the transfer switch and one feeds the rear air. Unless they changed the set up from '82 to '83. The one going to the rear air is a direct feed. Should be a junction box mounted to the side of the genny compartment "inside" the coach. Both circuits enter that junction box. From there, one line goes up to the rear air the other to the transfer switch located in the rear compartment as youve located. I am pretty sure thats the case, at least thats how it is on my '82.
Mike,

I know this is an older post but I just wanted to clarify. Depending on year and options the 310 could have one transfer switch or two. The 84 310 I used to own had two transfer switches but I've talked to a couple of different 310 owners that didn't have the 2nd transfer switch for the rear ac.

Brad
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 01:46 PM   #66
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
You never know with these beasts do ya! Could be the same year, same model and so on.......but be different in so many ways. I found a sticker on my 310 not too long ago, it apparently was built in California.
Old 06-26-2015, 04:34 PM   #67
Airstream Driver

1997 30' Excella
1983 31' Airstream310
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaniKai View Post
Finally took her out. First pic is the water stuff that took us days to figure out. There were mud daubers in the drain pipe.
I would be careful using hose clamps on that old pex tubing. You probably get away with it on the new white water lines, but the pex connection will blow sooner or later.
Love your cat...
AIR #13
PeterH-Airstreamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 09:22 PM   #68
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
CA , California
We figured out how to get water in and could not get it to drain... Ended up pumping it out and parking on our levelers so the rest would not drain inside when we took the drain apart. We thought we needed a new valve, but the tube and valve were just full of mud. Cleaned it up and put it all back together using the same parts. Now you have me a little worried about it, but not as much as I worry about our fuel lines now. This weekend we prep for a wed-mon trip to the High Sierra Music Festival. We are switching from a minivan and tent to this. Feels huge and we will climb under there to make sure all fuel lines got replaced with our other work.

We had no luck with the fridge on 12 volt either, but I sure am glad it works on propane.

I am pretty sure that our 310 only has the one transfer switch, but certainly there are some variations.

Has anyone ever seen the arm hardware that is on the sides of the flip down couch to make it flip down into a bed for sale? We figured out that ours used to have the lounge in back with two couches that both flip down to make one huge bed. We want to switch it back and that looks like the hard part to make/find. We still have the anchor parts on the seat parts. We also have a couch in the front so I guess we can pay someone to fabricate them, but I would rather not if the price is even or better.

The cat is the only thing I allowed myself to buy before the airstream. Makes me laugh.
Old 06-27-2015, 05:58 AM   #69
Airstream Driver

1997 30' Excella
1983 31' Airstream310
Austin , Texas
Quote:
We figured out how to get water in and could not get it to drain... Ended up pumping it out and parking on our levelers so the rest would not drain inside when we took the drain apart. We thought we needed a new valve, but the tube and valve were just full of mud. Cleaned it up and put it all back together using the same parts. Now you have me a little worried about it.....
No need to worry, just don't leave it unattended hooked to city water or with the waterpump on. The waterpump will come on if the system fails somewhere, so you will know immediately.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	aircat.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	865.5 KB
ID:	241683  
AIR #13
Old 06-27-2015, 06:17 AM   #70
Airstream Driver

1997 30' Excella
1983 31' Airstream310
Austin , Texas
Quote:

Has anyone ever seen the arm hardware that is on the sides of the flip down couch to make it flip down into a bed for sale? We figured out that ours used to have the lounge in back with two couches that both flip down to make one huge bed. We want to switch it back and that looks like the hard part to make/find. We still have the anchor parts on the seat parts. We also have a couch in the front so I guess we can pay someone to fabricate them, but I would rather not if the price is even or better.
Sorry can't help with locating the hardware, but i know they used the flip over couch into the nineties.
Here is my solution, without spending a dime (I don't get paid working on my Airstreams )
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f311...ml#post1641948

AIR #13