Old 02-26-2006, 01:01 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Hendersonville , North Carolina
Good ol' Dr. Joe, AKA "Winner", the previous owner of our MH, has been there and done that with the failed hoses and had them all replaced before selling "Belle" to us about two years ago. But I like the idea of shutoffs... as an ex-submariner I really hate it when water gets in the people tank!

Old 02-26-2006, 07:30 AM   #30
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swebster
Jeff,
Sounds like you have an interesting configuration. Just out of curiosity - where is your generator located?
The generator is on the road side under the sofa.

Old 02-26-2006, 09:07 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Tujunga , California
our 85

Hi guys thought I'd chime in.
We have the water heater in the location pictured. We have the switch as describe, in the bathroom above the faucet to the far right in with the other light switches. I have not found any switches in the kitchen sink area. We have the Emerson 330 instant hot water heater that sits under the sink, behind the everpure water filter. Our Emerson doesn't work, someone said something about a switch for it? Has anyone replaced their Emerson?, if so with what? Home Depot used to carry the emerson but not anymore. Hope this helps Debbie
str8strm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 09:10 AM   #32
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
From what you've described, it sounds like your water heater and forward furnace are installed in reverse locations from the "common" 345 floorplan.

Just FYI, the "typical" locations would be as follows:

Under the couch a small aux heater from the engine
Also under the couch and the forward dinette, the generator compartment
Under the rear dinette, the water heater
Under the sink, the forward furnace
Under the roadside bedroom closet, the rear furnace
In the curbside bedroom closet, the water filter
Depending on your bedroom layout (side queen rear queenn or twins); under the bed, curbside, water tank
Also in the rear, under the bed or cabinetry (again depending on your bedroom layout);
Curbside storage compartment
Air compressor for rear air suspension
Water pump (house system)
Roadside would be reels for shore power and city water hookups.

I have an 86, but a lot changed between the 85 and the 86 in the way of cabinetry (for example in 86 they switched to wooden overhead lockers, you probably have the plastic lockers with the roll-up tambour doors)

For most of us, there is a switch in the bathroom, just above the sink on the wall. The switch is brown/black with a single rocker switch and a red "ignition" light (as Alan described).

If you have something different, you may consider contacting the PO (Previous Owner) about how to operate the water heater.

To echo 87MH, pictures can be very helpful. Certainly consider dropping in on the upcoming GA rally, there will be many good people there who really know these motorhomes and trailers and are always willing to lend their advice and help.
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 09:18 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Tujunga , California
same topic but another question

Our water heater just shuts off sometimes. It will stay lit for 6-12 hours and then go thru a period where we have to relite it every few hours (as evidenced by the red light being on) any ideas? Debbie
Old 02-26-2006, 09:38 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
DO YOU HAVE TO RELIGHT IT OR DOES THE RED LIGHT COME ON ON ITS OWN? If so that is correct, as it means the heater is firing up to re-warm the water and keep it at the right temp.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 09:52 AM   #35
Rivet Master

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Tujunga , California
lighting

I really don't know , the red light is on, I shut the rocker switch off and it relights. The redlight stays on for several hours if I don't shut if off and on
Old 02-26-2006, 04:53 PM   #36
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Auxiliary Space Heater

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckwheat
You've got an ice maker? Lucky!!
Picture #4 (black box in open area under the couch) is what 87MH called the "Coach Auxillary Heater", it provides heated air for the main living area but shares engine coolant hoses with the Atwood water heater, where they go through a heat exchanger as an alternate way to heat water for the sinks and shower. The heat exchanger is enclosed inside the tank located under the aft dinette bench (picture #2). This lovely diagram from the Atwood manual says it all...
Buckwheat,

The diagram you showed is sort of what I have in my 1989 370. The first tees are at the engine where they split the sending and return lines so that one set of send and return go forward to the dash heater, and the other set go under the coach to come up thru the floor for the water heater first, followed by the "Coach Auxiliary Heater". There is a second set of tees to sent coolant up for the water heater, and then a little farther back the lines go up through the floor (no tee needed there) to run thru the auxiliary heater. I've replaced all the hot water lines on the entire coach (about 60 feet), but have eliminated the tees and lines for the water heater since the PO had apparently needed to replace the water heater with a regular gas-only unit. The original lines for that had been cut off and had large bolts inserted in them. Looked like an invitation for a leak to me, so I just ran the lines directly back to the auxiliary coach heater. By the way, I did put shut-offs at the engine for the sending and return lines. That way I can cut them off in the summer if I want less heat bleeding in from the auxiliary coach heater, or if either coach heater springs a leak. Some nice Forum participant suggested that, and I'm very appreciative. I now feel much better about having reduced the likelihood of a major leak inside the coach. I hope this is clear.
AIR # 5648
noiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 07:28 PM   #37
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by str8strm
I really don't know , the red light is on, I shut the rocker switch off and it relights. The redlight stays on for several hours if I don't shut if off and on
Ron and Debbie,

Definitely shouldn't do that. The purpose of the red light is to let you know it's attempting to spark so it will light. The light is supposed to go out as soon as the burner is lit. First, you might want to go outside to the water heater and see if it's lit when that red light is staying on - my guess is that it's probably not. Could be the ignition circuit board (located inside the outer access door). Will have some electronic circuitry and a wire going to the burner. It's supposed to spark when the red light comes on until the gas is lit. Red light should not stay on if it lights. Check the connections from the circuit board to the burner. May be simple, like a slightly corroded connection that just needs cleaning and a little silicone dielectric. Be sure to clean the ignition points just inside the burner tube. Many times these simple things cause the most trouble. Check all the wire connections to the gas valve as well. I always loosen each one and spray just a little WD40 or put some silicone dilectric on them. If all that fails, you may have a bad circuit board. They can be had for about $100, give or take a few bucks. Hope this helps.
AIR # 5648
Old 02-26-2006, 07:32 PM   #38
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Quote:
Hi guys thought I'd chime in.
We have the water heater in the location pictured. We have the switch as describe, in the bathroom above the faucet to the far right in with the other light switches. I have not found any switches in the kitchen sink area. We have the Emerson 330 instant hot water heater that sits under the sink, behind the everpure water filter. Our Emerson doesn't work, someone said something about a switch for it? Has anyone replaced their Emerson?, if so with what? Home Depot used to carry the emerson but not anymore. Hope this helps Debbie
Debbie,

My Emerson has a switch on the wall above the sink area. It looks like a regular wall light switch. Up is on, and down is off. Got anything like that in you kitchen area? It should definitely have a switch.
AIR # 5648
Old 02-28-2006, 10:07 AM   #39
Rivet Master

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Tujunga , California
it worked

flipped the sdwitch up for the emerson yesterday and we had hot water!! The consignment place we got it from last year told us it did not work so we did not pursue it Yahoo, now I just need to check the S/N to make sure its not on the recall list thanks for the info on the Propane water heater as well. Will check it this weekend Debbie
Old 02-28-2006, 10:37 AM   #40
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Hot water

Quote:
flipped the sdwitch up for the emerson yesterday and we had hot water!! The consignment place we got it from last year told us it did not work so we did not pursue it Yahoo, now I just need to check the S/N to make sure its not on the recall list thanks for the info on the Propane water heater as well. Will check it this weekend Debbie
Debbie,

I'm glad you got that straight, and you now have hot water . I've checked mine against the recall list, and it's not one. The reason is the one-third gallon capacity dispensers are NOT involved in the recall. Before you go straining your neck trying to read the serial number, just look for the capacity. Mine clearly states it's 1/3 of a gallon - stamped on the front of the cover under the sink. That solves it. No recall. I seriously doubt Airstream (or any other RV manufacturer) was putting 1/2 gallon dispensers in RVs when they were available in 1/3 capacity. However, better safe than sorry - and we do have different model years. Let us know what you find out.

Best,
AIR # 5648
Old 02-28-2006, 10:51 AM   #41
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Unhappy Spelling error

Sorry to everyone on this thread that I've been spelling DIELECTRIC incorrectly. In looking back over my posts, I realized something didn't look quite right. Sure enough, I'd been misspelling dielectric as "dilectric"-which isn't even a word. I'm sure it's not my last mistake on this forum , but a former school teacher really should do better .
AIR # 5648
Old 02-28-2006, 11:55 AM   #42
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Quote:
a former school teacher really should do better
You must just LOVE reading all of my spelling mistakes! I just tell people that I can think faster than I can type. Most seem to buy it

swebster is offline   Reply With Quote