Old 02-25-2006, 05:08 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Pictures would help....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honkity Hank
It is the water heater. There are 2 coach heaters, both on the road side, one forward of the dinette with a blower and register under the sofa, this is controlled by the dinnette t-stat.
Could you post some pics?

I wonder if there is enough room under the couch for a gas fired heater - most of the 345's have an engine coolant heater (Coach Auxillary Heater - blower controls on dash) in this location, just forward of the Generator enclosure.

The instructions for uploading pictures are under the "Manage Attachments" button at the bottom of the "Reply to Thread" page - it's not hard - just have to remember that the max size of pictures is 640X480 pixels.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 05:21 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honkity Hank
It is the water heater. There are 2 coach heaters, both on the road side, one forward of the dinette with a blower and register under the sofa, this is controlled by the dinnette t-stat. A second unit is aft of the bath with a register under the bed near the foot but on the side, t-stat in the bedroom. Those work great though, so no issues with them.

I do not have a second water heater, just the one under the sink with a small tank, it does look to have coolant lines running under the tank but I did not know what those were before I starting looking for answers here.

I am concerned that this small heater and tank will not be sufficient for a proper shower, but right now that is not even an option since I can't turn the thing on anyway.
The one under the sink with a small tank is not your coach main water heater. It's to give you very hot water at the sink to make tea, coffee, etc. You should have a spout with a lever on the back of the sink. If so, then it's definitely not the main water heater. To find the main one, go outside and look for a "door" that has a grill work in the upper right corner. That's the outside cover to the main water heater. There's a twist catch at the top, and when turned you should be able to hinge the door down at the bottom. After that you should see the tube shaped burner housing, controls, and gas line. Once you've made sure you've found it, you can then go inside to that same location for the inside connections, tank, etc. My 87 has a switch in the bath like Buckwheat described, and the other is on the monitor panel above the stove. Hope this helps.

AIR # 5648
noiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 05:22 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Hendersonville , North Carolina
That's just wild! The variety of configurations in these motorhomes never ceases to amaze me! Attached are pics of my setup (also undergoing preps for Spring and the Georgia Rally in Apr '06). And you're saying you don't have the outside water heater shown here?!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WtrHtrRoad.JPG
Views:	302
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	18703   Click image for larger version

Name:	WtrHtrSeat.JPG
Views:	235
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	18704  

Name:	WtrHtrSink.JPG
Views:	242
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	18705   Click image for larger version

Name:	AuxHtrCouch.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	18706  

Old 02-25-2006, 05:25 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Captions would have been nice...
These are: water heater road side, rear of same under dinette seat (note the seat belts!), the insta-hot heater under the sink, and the aux heater under the couch (those black hoses are teed at some point to the black hoses showing in the under-seat heater picture at the far right bottom).
Old 02-25-2006, 05:36 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckwheat
That's just wild! The variety of configurations in these motorhomes never ceases to amaze me! Attached are pics of my setup (also undergoing preps for Spring and the Georgia Rally in Apr '06). And you're saying you don't have the outside water heater shown here?!!
Your first picture

Is what my heater door looks like next to the coach door on curb side.

Your second picture
is what my tank looks like under the sink with similar but not identical plumbing.

Your third picture

I have nothing that looks like this in my coach.

I am too young for senility and I was just working on it today so I know that my config is different from yours, unfortunately the coach is 60 miles away so pictures are not possible for a week or so.
Old 02-25-2006, 05:38 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
The rocker switch in the bathroom should turn on the water heater. If the propane is on, I always light the stove first to see if it is getting gas...then turn on the switch in the bathroom, it lights for a minute and when the water heater ignites, the light goes off. You leave the switch flipped to the right...it stays on. Ours heats enough to turn off the heater overnight and it will be moderately warm, but quick to reheat in the morning.
You should hear the water heating firing up...of course be sure the water is on to it. In a short time it should heat up, enought to feel the water warm at the sink.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 05:43 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Yeah, what Alan said! At least we know you have the Atwood water heater, I'll forward the manual as soon as I get the kids off the computer long enough to scan it in. Alan's instructions were better than the owner's manual...
Old 02-25-2006, 05:49 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
well while I am at it- I also open up the door outside with the heater and gas on, watch the flame there. The tube can be adjusted for amount of air and you can get the flame more blue, which is what you want. This is also where you should drain the hot water heater and check the anode rod of your is equipped with one. These rods pull out...they disintegrate over time, which is normal.
Once you get the thing running you can tweak the heat.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 06:03 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Wow, two rivets! I'm somebody now...
Old 02-25-2006, 07:01 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANSD
The rocker switch in the bathroom should turn on the water heater.

Thanks all, I looked in the bathroom but did not see the switch, but as I said before that does not mean it is not there. Alan, where in the loo is your switch?

I unscrewed the drain plug (white plastic 1" nut) but there was not an anode rod, I assume this unit does not have one unless it is in another location.

Jeff
Old 02-25-2006, 07:02 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Quote:
Wow, two rivets! I'm somebody now...
Alan's got the right ideas. That's how I operate mine as well, and I suspect most of us do very similar things. Your description of a water heater under the sink with a small tank threw me. The pics by Buckwheat are pretty much what most of us have, at least the one with the outside door and the corresponding inside plumbing. My original water heater with the auxiliary engine heating died somewhere in the past with a PO. I have just a gas unit, and the original engine water supply lines I've done away with to avoid a possible unpleasant flood . Some of our units also have the one in picture 3 for sink very hot water (tea, coffee, etc.). At least it appears the topics have now been identified .
AIR # 5648
Old 02-25-2006, 07:53 PM   #26
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Quote:
Buckwheat,

I'm really jealous of your set-up with your auxiliary coach hot water heater (picture 4) . Mine has exactly the same plumbing, but it's located UNDER the ice maker with about a 4 inch clearance to the regular gas water heater . When I just recently put all new hoses on my hot water lines, I spent more time on that set of connections than almost the entire rest of the job. Wasn't that difficult, but there was no room to work. Your setup sure looks spacious in comparison. Maybe they ran out of room in my 37 feet of MoHo .
AIR # 5648
Old 02-25-2006, 09:08 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
You've got an ice maker? Lucky!!
Picture #4 (black box in open area under the couch) is what 87MH called the "Coach Auxillary Heater", it provides heated air for the main living area but shares engine coolant hoses with the Atwood water heater, where they go through a heat exchanger as an alternate way to heat water for the sinks and shower. The heat exchanger is enclosed inside the tank located under the aft dinette bench (picture #2). This lovely diagram from the Atwood manual says it all...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	WtrHtrConns.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	18714  
Old 02-25-2006, 09:38 PM   #28
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
great pic. Interesting the way they show the T's up by the engine. I think on most coaches with this setup the T's to the water heater are below the floor under the aux heater. BTW - I would recommned replacing these hoses (as Tim as done) or at least installing shutoffs up in the engine compartment or firewall.

Jeff,
Sounds like you have an interesting configuration. Just out of curiosity - where is your generator located?

swebster is offline   Reply With Quote