Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-05-2007, 01:39 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

, Alaska
water heater tank cracked. JB weld?

Has anyone tried to repair an aluminum water heater tank with JB weld? I have a crack in my water tank and wonder if using JB Weld will work on the crack. I can't think of why NOT to try JB Weld. Any ideas?
Thanks!
Curtis-79MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 02:09 AM   #2
JDL
3 Rivet Member

2005 19' International CCD
T , Oregon
Hi,

I had a crack in the burner tube for my 6 gallon Atwood. I talked with their customer service. If the burner tube is cracked the only option is to replace the water heater. IF it is on a seam you may be able to use JB weld.

Good luck.

PS the only option I had was to replace the whole unit.. .
JDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 06:32 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis-79MH
Has anyone tried to repair an aluminum water heater tank with JB weld? I have a crack in my water tank and wonder if using JB Weld will work on the crack. I can't think of why NOT to try JB Weld. Any ideas?
Thanks!
TRY IT! It just may work. All of their ads say that it can be used to fix radiators, etc.

That said, I DID try it on a busted water heater tank......DIDN'T WORK!

Draw your own conclusions. Now the only thing I do is replace them whan they break................
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 06:48 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
There is aluminum brazing rods available that only need a propane torch to apply. I have used on a water tank with good results.
1950 Spartan
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 06:51 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shacksman
There is aluminum brazing rods available that only need a propane torch to apply. I have used on a water tank with good results.
Are you talking about 'Alumaloy'?
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 06:51 AM   #6
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
Weld or braze...
I also have tried with high hopes all the quick fixes.
Always causes more problems with a let down at a time less welcome.
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 06:54 AM   #7
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
If I remember my high school Industrial Arts teacher, you need to reweld the crack(seam?) with DC reverse polarity, or other special welding equipment. My personal experience is that JB weld will not hold for long on a water heater.
Depending on the location and size of the crack, and the condition of the water heater, you may be able to remove the tank, and take it to a welding shop for repair.
The bright side to this is if it can't be repaired, you already have it out, and it will be that much easier to replace.
Old 06-05-2007, 08:33 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Would not recommend JB Weld due to pressure involved when water is heated...and then when it does fail, you'll have to do it right anyway.
zamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 08:54 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster
Are you talking about 'Alumaloy'?
The package calls it ultrafuse. It goes on like solder but is stonger. Heat the metal to 725 and the rod melts into the repair. I found it at a road side market but have seen it at welding suppy places. I worked it into a number of pinhole leaks on a water tank and it's holding for 2 seasons so far.
1950 Spartan
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 10:10 AM   #10
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
If the tank is already welded then I would suggest welding it to repair. I would not trust anything else.
I recently used JB Weld to glue two pieces of aluminum. Surfaces were well preped. When I went to drill a hole in the two pieces thwy seperated.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 11:00 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1970 23' Safari
1956 26' Cruiser Overlander
Lambertville , Michigan
Since you have to take it out to fix it, why not replace it? Camping world has an outlet center for scratch and dents for 1/3 the cost of most places. they come with the same warranty and the scratch and dent part is always the access door, which you probably won't use any way. It is probably better to R&R the thing than R&R&R&R.

Dave.

Yes, I am still working on it.
drag'nwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 11:12 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
We have checked into this a couple of times.

As we are frugal!!!!!!

We are not equipped to weld ourselves so we have to have someone else do it.

JB Weld did not work on a simple leak in an aluminum boat - so a regular use presure waterheater hmmm have your towels ready and hope that you have not layed any new floor!!!

Having it repaired - depends on the crack and where. We had the excella tank blew over the winter it was at the wreckers. Quoted 300 to fix welding by the time the prep and welding is done at 55/hour. You can buy the replacement tank and insulations for most tanks for around $180 at MarksRV.com

No fuse no muss and you are not paying double the cost to get a new one. That is the route we have decided to go with our 6 gal propane Electric DSI model from the late 90's.

good luck with your decision.....
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 04:07 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

, Alaska
Can't handle the pressure

I prepared the aluminum tank using acetone and then sealed the crack with JB Weld. I let it cure more than 24 hours. Then I filled the tank with water and " fizzle poof" the JB weld blew before the tank was even completely filled. Rats.

My crack was rather long at 3-4 inches so maybe JB Weld would work on a pin hole or so, but it couldn't handle a crack of 3-4 inches in length.

Anyway, I am really quick at removing my water tank now....
Curtis-79MH is offline   Reply With Quote