Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2011, 10:16 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1983 30' Airstream 300
Covington , Louisiana
Water Heater Replacement

I'm wanting to replace the water heater. I have Gas with DSI and Heat exchange. Would like to replace with the same. I see both Atwood and Suburban both have similar models. Any thoughts as to which one is better? Is one easier to install? Someone mentioned that the entrance hole for the gas line was different on each brand.
Bethany533 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 05:38 AM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Atwood is what you have now, why would you want to change brands? The plumbing will line up to what you have now.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:07 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
We are considering Olympias...flex gas line, less space and waste of heat, and a piano hinge will allow direction...currently use a duraflame portable, but I'd rather get away from refilling the small tanks...I'll pay a professional to install the lines I want...propane is not something I want to play with in my home with wheels...m
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 08:49 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Tankless Olympias May Not Be What You Want

I have a friend who got the tankless Olympia in his new 2010 or 2011, SOB.
He just paid big bucks to have it removed and replaced with a conventional H2O heater. In a nutshell, he and his wife wasted too much water (and dumped too much in the gray water tank) trying to adjust water temperature for a quickie Navy, shower. (Navy shower=turn on water, get wet, turn off water, lather up, turn on water, rinse off, turn off water)

I can't imagine a better more efficient water heater than the Atwoods that have come in all my Airstreams. They are the only appliance that has been trouble free and dependable (except fot the ovens that we always use for a bread box).
I'd like to hear if others have enjoyed their tankless H2o heaters before I would retrofit one into an AIrstream. Heating water is something that Airstream seems to have gotten right.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 07:17 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
I recently replaced the original Atwood 6 gal with the same. It was fairly easy. Had to bend the gas line somewhat and kinked it slightly...watch out for that. Basically used same plumbing fittings and installed new bypass as well. I like the new double switch for the elec and gas that I have yet to install in the bath area. Never have and never will hookup engine heat exchange. And most important, I would never want to be without the DSI...who wants to go outside with matches to light water heater in the snow, rain or 105 degree weather?

So far the only issue is I hear the water boiling in the tank once in a while. I have to see if I can turn down the temp.

I'm very happy with the Atwood replacement.
Old 08-26-2011, 08:18 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
I kinda wanted one that would fit that big hole in the outside of the trailer. I measured the old hole and went with an Atwood. Fit like a saddle on a sow.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 03:01 PM   #7
Airstream Newbie

Currently Looking...
Torrance , California
Speaking of replacement water heaters.. I'm looking at the possibility of buying a '78 Argosy that has a bad water heater (the CO claims it's got a crack in it due to it having water in it when an early freeze hit. Is a full replacement in order or can they be repaired? I'm guessing a replacement but thought I'd ask.
Rick F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 03:13 PM   #8
WBCCI 8562

1975 31' Sovereign
Pelzer , South Carolina
I swapped a tank once in one of those, big job. The following year
the control went, then the burner..
Shop around and get a new one..
Jim in Pima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 03:22 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Anyone with a Atwood would be suggested to read the operator's manual: that pressure-relief valve should be opened every few years to keep the upper air gap intact.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 03:25 PM   #10
Airstream Newbie

Currently Looking...
Torrance , California
Thanks for the tips -- is it safe to assume that IF someone had been living in the AS and keeping the interior temps at a comfortable range, that the cracking would not have occurred or is the water heater in an unheated/insulated space? Just curious..
Rick F is offline   Reply With Quote