Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-21-2018, 11:33 AM   #21
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
I've always been jealous of Mayco's 310. Perfect size and he had done an outstanding upgrade on it!
Old 07-21-2018, 01:02 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Thanks Dean, that's awful nice of you to say!
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 02:07 PM   #23
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadstoy View Post
I've always been jealous of Mayco's 310. Perfect size and he had done an outstanding upgrade on it!
Jeez, now I really do feel like a true sidekick.....

Cheers
Sidekick Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 02:30 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Wait till I get these LED dimmers installed Tony, then you'll be REALLY jealous
Old 07-21-2018, 04:11 PM   #25
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayco View Post
Nawww; only if you change your username to "Allison" will I be truly jealous.

Cheers
Sidekick Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Old 07-21-2018, 05:09 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Old 07-21-2018, 05:34 PM   #27
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Sure! Rub it in mate.....That little geeky Elvis guy is married to the hottest jazz singer in the world, Diana Krall; born two days earlier than me and Canadian to boot. Shania Twain and Diana Krall......how could you choose?

Cheers
Sidekick Tony

Old 07-22-2018, 12:22 AM   #28
Rivet Master

Churubusco , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayco View Post
Were the 2 way high/low switches i have not standard? Or just not enough control?

Anyway, to the OP, i happened upon a 290 in the wild this week, owners traveling with their 3 kids, so what you describe does exist, just keep looking!

However, if you're considering a 290, why not a 310? It still doesn't have a tag axle, and it'll open your options wide open since they made so many, relatively speaking, and the layout is awesome, my wife and I live in ours very comfortably, sometimes I feel like we could downsize!

Are you sure that extra 24" is going to be a deal breaker?
Magnet18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 01:50 PM   #29
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Now I feel bad! How could I forget about Tony's (Isuzusweet) 310. I love yours too Tony. Love the woodwork and your chairs! Again jealous of you guys and your rear bedrooms!
Old 07-22-2018, 02:14 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnet18 View Post
Were the 2 way high/low switches i have not standard? Or just not enough control?

Anyway, to the OP, i happened upon a 290 in the wild this week, owners traveling with their 3 kids, so what you describe does exist, just keep looking!

However, if you're considering a 290, why not a 310? It still doesn't have a tag axle, and it'll open your options wide open since they made so many, relatively speaking, and the layout is awesome, my wife and I live in ours very comfortably, sometimes I feel like we could downsize!

Are you sure that extra 24" is going to be a deal breaker?

Without getting too far into it and hijacking the thread here, a few years ago I changed out the original lighting to go with LED recessed puck lighting. With the new lights there is no "high/low" function, either all on or all off. I want to be able to dim these general lighting fixtures. LED dimmers are a bit tricky and they don't function like incandescent dimmers. They must have a dedicated ground wire to the device. That poses some challenges when retrofitting with LEDs because so much of the wiring is behind the interior wall panels. Ill be updating my thread here soon with what Ive done to solve the dimmer situation, waiting on one part to arrive. Here are my overhead lights now, the panels are covered in the same material as the rest of the upholstery and the puck lighting recessed into the light panels.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0278.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	191.6 KB
ID:	317769Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2200.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	193.1 KB
ID:	317770
Old 07-22-2018, 05:24 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadstoy View Post
Now I feel bad! How could I forget about Tony's (Isuzusweet) 310. I love yours too Tony. Love the woodwork and your chairs! Again jealous of you guys and your rear bedrooms!
Not to worry.....Tony just likes to troll.....
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 06:00 PM   #32
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
Not to worry.....Tony just likes to troll.....
I resemble that remark!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	troll2troll-chocolatevanilla.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	15.6 KB
ID:	317786  

Old 07-25-2018, 05:57 AM   #33
2 Rivet Member

Cambridge , Massachusetts
Bumping - still looking!
izzyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 03:04 PM   #34
Rivet Master

Churubusco , Indiana
Have you stood inside any motorhomes in person yet?
Old 07-26-2018, 04:34 AM   #35
2 Rivet Member

Cambridge , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnet18 View Post
Have you stood inside any motorhomes in person yet?
No I havent. We have just been in our rentals. It’s so frustrating - it’s like I’m in the hinterlands...
izzyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 01:39 PM   #36
Rivet Master

Churubusco , Indiana
My advice is to get on Craigslist and air forums classifieds, and start looking at as many as you can in your area, even if you know they aren't nice enough. It's hard to have a feel for what size these are until you stand inside one. I was expecting 310s to feel super cramped, and to need a 345, but looked at a 310 in meh condition anyway and was surprised at how large it felt, and at how the 345 didn't feel that much larger inside but felt a lot larger outside (to us)

It also helps get you familiar with what you're actually looking at, and starts giving you a point of reference. It's really hard to tell the quality of an interior from pictures unless you've stood in a few, you know what systems to look at, what rusty vs non looks like, etcetera. After looking at 2 others I was able to step into the 310 we got and immediately tell the major quality difference, even though in pictures they all look similar

So yea, my best advice would be to go look at as many classic motorhomes in person as you can, regardless of size, just so you know what you're shopping for. Also gives you confidence to walk away from a bad deal when you practice a couple times (Pick ones you're mildly interested in obviously, don't completely waste someone's time, but you can be upfront and let them know you don't plan to buy on the spot)
Old 07-26-2018, 01:42 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Ebro , Fla Panhandle
An interesting 31 just showed up on the classic motorhomes thread. It's in Reno, seller says it in good shape, with lots of resent work done on it.

For your use I'd think a good 345 should be on your list too. The much dreaded tag axel can now be serviced or replaced. Unlike for a few years ago, when few parts were available.

I to was focused on the single rear axel when I was looking, but ended up finding a nice well cared for 345 that has done well for me for over 30k miles.
I like the extra room.

Cheers Richard
tevake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 01:54 PM   #38
Rivet Master

Churubusco , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by tevake View Post
An interesting 31 just showed up on the classic motorhomes thread. It's in Reno, seller says it in good shape, with lots of resent work done on it.

For your use I'd think a good 345 should be on your list too. The much dreaded tag axel can now be serviced or replaced. Unlike for a few years ago, when few parts were available.

I to was focused on the single rear axel when I was looking, but ended up finding a nice well cared for 345 that has done well for me for over 30k miles.
I like the extra room.

Cheers Richard
I think they're more worried about maneuverability on the east coast, rather than the tax axel itself.

Good to hear they can be serviced though! what's your source for that? Would be a good thing to know when I eventually outgrown the 310!
Magnet18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 02:29 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Ebro , Fla Panhandle
Andy's place in SoCal ( Inland RV ) has new tag axels available. I got complete brake assemblies for it from them too. It's the hubs that are still hard to come by as far as I know.

The rear wheels do scrub when making a very tight turn. Plus the extra length can be an issue in tight parking spots. But on the up side the extra axle does track well when on the highway perhaps giving more directional stability, I've been told.
I haven't done much driving of the shorter models, to compare.

But especially for a family the extra room and storage would seem attractive.

For me the active resent history, and good maintaince were big factors for my choice.
I flew from Hawaii to Fla, bought it, then headed out to Az a couple of days later.

It's been good to me on many trips. I'm back in Fla now

Cheers Richard
tevake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 09:45 AM   #40
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
I’ve talked the the OP at length and she is set on under 30’ due to their home setup and Storage space.