Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2018, 07:46 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Cambridge , Massachusetts
WANTED for a young family: Airstream 280 or Argosy 28 Motorhome

Airstream 280 and Argosy 28 Motorhome owners (potentially an Airstream Classic 290)... if you're thinking of selling at the END OF THE SEASON, please PM me instead of storing your girl.

I - together with my husband and 3 kids - have been looking for a while, renting as we cruise around. We live in Massachusetts and are not interested in a fixer. We want a road-ready, cared-for and loved motorhome that has a serviced engine, good brakes and fuel line and the layout we need (rear twins... ideally a center bath but not sure that's possible).

We will pay a good, fair price (like I don't want champagne on a beer budget). Feel free to send me a message!

Thanks in advance - Isabella
izzyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 08:44 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Honokaa , Hawaii
I believe that most of the 280’s have rear baths. 290’s may be center bath, but they are kinda rare. The viewrvs.com site has the specs for each model and year.
Waipio Rim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 08:45 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
I just had a guy in Montana ask me if I knew anyone interested in an Isuzu powered 280 in decent condition.

Pm me with your contact info and I’ll pass it on if you are interested.
Kota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 08:56 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Churubusco , Indiana
Are you looking to full time in it? The young family bit gave me that vibe at first, but re-reading I might have been mistaken

I understand not wanting a fixer, I went well out of my way to find one that has a rebuilt engine and is in excellent condition, and since you know about the fuel line you've done your homework

but just to cover the bases, these all require continual work and maintenance to keep on the road. My engine with less than 7000 miles left me on the side of the road a few weeks ago, just over a little sensor.

If you're looking for toy you'll never ever have to crawl under or fix plumbing, be warned paying others to do everything will get very expensive very fast, but if you're looking for a good base to start working with, welcome to the asylum, it's called that for a reason.
Magnet18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 09:35 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Welcome...
Now you know why I directed you here... Bon Search!
Old 07-11-2018, 05:22 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnet18 View Post
Are you looking to full time in it? The young family bit gave me that vibe at first, but re-reading I might have been mistaken

I understand not wanting a fixer, I went well out of my way to find one that has a rebuilt engine and is in excellent condition, and since you know about the fuel line you've done your homework

but just to cover the bases, these all require continual work and maintenance to keep on the road. My engine with less than 7000 miles left me on the side of the road a few weeks ago, just over a little sensor.

If you're looking for toy you'll never ever have to crawl under or fix plumbing, be warned paying others to do everything will get very expensive very fast, but if you're looking for a good base to start working with, welcome to the asylum, it's called that for a reason.
I am well aware that this will be an ongoing project! However in the range of what’s available I want driveable - there seem to be a lot of neglected ladies going for $6500... do you have advice on what questions to ask as I vet? I know to ask about the fuel line but... I am no mechanic but I am a quick learner. I renovate houses for my work as a GC/interior architect.

We won’t be in it full time. A few two week trips and then frequent shorter ones during the year. Last year we did a Hamilton-inspired road trip - the show in NYC, the Hamilton/Burr duel site in NJ, Valley Forge, Mount Vernon and Monticello. It was awesome.

Thanks for all the advice thus far!
Old 07-11-2018, 05:25 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Thanks for directing me!
Old 07-11-2018, 07:00 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Churubusco , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by izzyce View Post
I am well aware that this will be an ongoing project! However in the range of what’s available I want driveable - there seem to be a lot of neglected ladies going for $6500... do you have advice on what questions to ask as I vet? I know to ask about the fuel line but... I am no mechanic but I am a quick learner. I renovate houses for my work as a GC/interior architect.

We won’t be in it full time. A few two week trips and then frequent shorter ones during the year. Last year we did a Hamilton-inspired road trip - the show in NYC, the Hamilton/Burr duel site in NJ, Valley Forge, Mount Vernon and Monticello. It was awesome.

Thanks for all the advice thus far!
Gotcha!

The biggest thing is obviously the engine, they are a bear to replace. The previous owner replaced mine, the crate engine was $2,000, the labor was $10,000!

Find an owner that used theirs regularly, if they can show you logs showing that they put a couple thousand miles on it per year that's great, if it has sat for 5 or 10 years, be warned, there will be lots of bugs to work out, and a lot of hidden costs to get it road worthy (like $2000 in tires)

Look at the cooling systems closely, these engines and transmissions are usually killed by overheating

Other than that, all the normal stuff you'd look for in a travel trailer: subfloor condition, leaks, whatever quality of interior you want based on how much interior work you want to do
Magnet18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 07:38 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Did you see the Diesel on Airstream Hunter FB group today?
Old 07-11-2018, 08:08 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

I didn’t Keyair... can you point me? Thanks so much! I am not sure how I missed it...
Old 07-11-2018, 08:14 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Tagged you. [emoji3]
Old 07-11-2018, 10:25 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Honokaa , Hawaii
Quote:
Originally Posted by izzyce View Post
. do you have advice on what questions to ask as I vet?
I bought our second MH sight unseen last summer. Probably the most important question that I asked the seller was how recently and how much it had been used, and how those trips went. I ended up getting a couple of undisclosed problems with the coach as can be expected in a sight unseen deal, but if it had been in storage for more than a year I would have passed on it. There are some good deals to be found on barn finds, but if you get one be prepared to roll up your sleeves for awhile before you hit the road.
Waipio Rim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 10:29 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Oh, and find and print out the buyers guide in the sticky thread. Last page I think.
Old 07-11-2018, 11:08 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
See attached... still working on it...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf AIRSTREAM Checklist 1.pdf (279.1 KB, 27 views)
Old 07-11-2018, 02:37 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Fantastic! Thanks for sharing!
Old 07-11-2018, 02:38 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

This is great advice and one I seem to be learning as I go through this process. Thank you!
Old 07-11-2018, 10:30 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

2008 22' Sport
Tucson , Arizona
Do you have contact information for the owner of the Isuzu unit?

Mark
markcpcu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 05:11 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

On Facebook yes.
Old 07-13-2018, 03:19 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Bump
Old 07-21-2018, 11:28 AM   #20
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Wondering if you are familiar with the layout of the 280's? I have an '82 280. It was my parents. In my opinion, the layout of the 280 is fine for 1-2 people. It has the rear bath. If I had my choice, I would really love to have a 310 with the rear bedroom and bed that I don't have to "pull out". Nothing longer for me since I don't want to deal with a tag axle.

I you want to see the 280 layout, check out my posts under "dadstoy". I inherited the 280 so it is what it is. Just thinking you may not like the 280 with 2 adults and 3 kids.

Dean