Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2018, 05:13 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
Virgin Questions

Hi there! Newbie here looking at buying a fully renovated 1984 345 or a 1886 325 that needs tlc, although everything is in working order according to current owner. Can anyone tell me if it’s possible the 345 came with no hydraulic jacks, or if they’re all manufactured with leveling jacks? And has anyone ever lived full time in a 345 for an extended period of time? If I buy the fully renovated one I may make it my home for at least a year. If I buy the 325 as a project this would not be the case. Are there any inherent benefits to 345 over 325 other than space or layout? I’m also wondering how long the P30 chassis can go if properly addressed and cared for over 30+ years. I appreciate any feedback. I’ve been reading for days and will continue through process.
Tubbydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 05:55 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Menomonee Falls , Wisconsin
Hey,
I lived in my 345 for 6 months in the Dakota oil fields.very comfortable. Do you,and can you work on these things. Buying a restored one would be the way I'd go if you want to go now. But what does restored mean. I got 15 k in mine right now. And I'm not done. Close but not done.
I'd ask him when was the last time the units been out and used. I would personally test everything. Water furnaces, toilet. Etc etc. the under side is where people skimp. Front end parts, u joints transmission, rear end serviced. Brakes. All this stuff cost big money if you don't have the space or tools to do it yourself. If it looks mint, it's probably been kept inside. That's good.
What does he want for a restored one. I won't sell mine for less than 30 k when I'm done. A really nice one will be in that range. Get receipts on what's been done,and when. New tires that are 5-6 years old are right on the edge of untrustworthy. If I were looking for a really nice unit that has been restored, I'd be looking to pay 30-40 k minimum...
If you want to buy the unit in need of work, plan on dumping at least 10 to15 in it. I got 2 years working on this thing. Not every day but a lot of time on stuff.
This is my 4th motorhome. It is a labor of love, Good luck give us here a buzz if you need help on something. Lots of good folks that got a lot of experience . DJ
davejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 11:19 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Honokaa , Hawaii
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubbydog View Post
I’m also wondering how long the P30 chassis can go if properly addressed and cared for over 30+ years.
I just did a quick check in eBay Motors for "P30 Stepvan" for sale. Found two 1999's for sale with healthy prices, one with 266k miles and a diesel with 440k miles. As far as I know all parts needed to keep an old P30 on the road are still available.
Waipio Rim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 08:24 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Menomonee Falls , Wisconsin
Hey,
You can find these P30 chassises around. The one ton dally is basically a P30 chassis. Some came with I beam axles,most were independent long / short arm types. Can't quote me on this, but I think the 8 lug one ton trucks have the same suspension as our MHs. The ten bolt wheels were a heavy duty version of the one ton. But the spindles, drag link,calipers,control arms were all interchangeable with the ten bolt rotors. Maybe that's were the HD springs come into play. Just a thought. DJ
davejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 03:59 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1991 25' Airstream 250
Oxford , Oxfordshire
Some P37 motorhome chassis parts differ from P30 series parts.
The jacks were probably an option although came as standard on some models. You can check that all out on Airstream.com
Boom Sounds is offline   Reply With Quote