Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-05-2006, 03:50 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2012 31' Classic
1999 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Andalusia , Alabama
Vacumatic step

We have what I think is the original step on our '86 345. It is a Vacumatic Step by Frank Industries, Brown City, MI. Model RRI.
I would like to replace it with an electric double step. Maby a model 32 by Kwikee. Has anyone done this latley? Any help would be great.
Thanks, Rob
Robfike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 07:36 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Hi Rob,

I have done a number of Kwikee replacements. They make a great quality 'standard of the industry' product. If you have a 2 step now, the Kwikee should be a direct replacement, so long as you have the proper brackets for mounting the top plate.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 10:18 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Lew,
have you replaced the steps on an Airstream Classic with a Kwikee step? I have researched this as well as talked to several installers. Kwikee is not convinced they will work and I can not find a mechanic willing to try. Kwikee is designed for a flat sided unit ours is curved. My problem is that our step just does not extend far enough. After a lot of measurements it was determined that the Kwikee would be even worse. Since this continues to be a major problem for me I am very interested in hearing what experience you have.
Old 06-06-2006, 05:31 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2012 31' Classic
1999 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Andalusia , Alabama
Lew
My step is now the single step unit. I thought the two step would be a good replacement since the first step is lower to the ground. Would any needed brackets come with the new step? It looks like my present step assy is held in place with 4 bolts.
Thanks, Rob
Robfike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 07:58 AM   #5
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
I have replaced my step with a kwikee two step. It works just fine on our 345. There is some wiring that needs to be done, but it is not too difficult to do. It is a perfect fit.

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 12:15 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Hi Kent,

I have not done any Kwikees on any classic A/S MoHo's. Mostly on existing units that were damaged in transit (read leaving the steps out!) or manual to automatic conversions. I can't see where it would be a problem, but I don't have a silver tube to look at! Perhaps ordering a kit with the option of returning it (Camping World) if it doesn't fit would be an option for you. If I run across a tube MoHo, I'll look closely at the mounting and let you know what I think.

Lew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaplain Kent
Lew,
have you replaced the steps on an Airstream Classic with a Kwikee step? I have researched this as well as talked to several installers. Kwikee is not convinced they will work and I can not find a mechanic willing to try. Kwikee is designed for a flat sided unit ours is curved. My problem is that our step just does not extend far enough. After a lot of measurements it was determined that the Kwikee would be even worse. Since this continues to be a major problem for me I am very interested in hearing what experience you have.
Old 06-07-2006, 12:17 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robfike
Lew
My step is now the single step unit. I thought the two step would be a good replacement since the first step is lower to the ground. Would any needed brackets come with the new step? It looks like my present step assy is held in place with 4 bolts.
Thanks, Rob
Rob,

Most Kwikees are also a 4-bolt mount. Check with Cooperhawk. He seems to have done the transition and might have the first hand knowledge that you are looking for.
Old 06-07-2006, 02:27 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperhawk
I have replaced my step with a kwikee two step. It works just fine on our 345. There is some wiring that needs to be done, but it is not too difficult to do. It is a perfect fit.
Do you have any pics of the step intalled? Looking to do soemthing with the Peanuts step, original was removed for some reason, jury rig replacement..
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 12:27 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
On a recent trip I saw a Airstream Motorhome which was created from a non-standard unit which according to the owner had been made for some defense contractors. Originally it had two door, two generators and 54 outlets along the walls. Needless to say he made a lot of mods, including removing one of the generators.

Both doors had Kwikee 2 stair steps.

1984 310 Limited Motorhome
Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote