Old 08-13-2018, 08:40 AM   #1
Undereducated AS Newbie

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Charlotte , North Carolina
Useful Speed Trap Info

The National Motorists Association www.motorists.org offers The National Speed Trap Exchange: https://www.speedtrap.org. These are user submitted, but I've found they are beneficial. 2 weeks ago, we were attending grand-daughters' basketball event in Suwanee, GA. in less than 36 hours, we encountered 3 incidences of revenue enhancement opportunities which were listed and avoided contributing to the revenue stream.

In addition, they are very proactive re: red light cameras (IMHO,principally a revenue generator for the governing body as they provide no reduction in accidents) & speed cameras as well as other driver-related topics.

If you aren't using the WAZE app, it is very useful in helping avoid traffic tie-ups and may offer info re: police presence as well as potential hazards on your chosen route.

wimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 09:14 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
The poster boy for speed traps used to be Waldo, Florida. There was even a billboard just outside town put up by AAA warning drivers.
Hwy. 301 is a divided four lane, and the speed limit was 65. It then went 65, 55, 45, 55, Boom, 35. That's where the cops sat.
However, I think the city finally got tired of their national reputation for corruption and it's better. I still drive at or below the limit anywhere near there or Starke.

Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 06:24 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
I used to work out of Denver International Airport. Worst revenue enhancement program in Colorado.

https://www.motorists.org/blog/nma-s...ight-colorado/
Kota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 06:50 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
We are , Relaxed
My recommendation is slow down and enjoy the ride. Less stress

2007 25' fb International Solar
2007 Dodge
rd tighe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 07:03 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2014 28' International
Blacksburg , Virginia
Revenuers

yeah, I've never been pulled over in my Jeep TJ. Straight six, three speed auto. 50 feels like 80 mph. LOL ( I don't drive it on the interstate)
Here is a tip. Interstate 77 Carroll county, Virginia. Just over the border from NC. The town of Hillsville has about 400 yards of interstate 77 and a exit on the edge of their town limits. Speed limit is 65, and you better be close to it or below. Northbound is a slight downgrade and a gentle turn to the right. The 'revenuers' will be low in the median behind the grass, as you round the turn, running radar,, waiting. They will be waiting with either their Dodge Charger ( black), SST Silverado High performance truck, ( Black), the high performance Chevrolet Tahoe (black) Ford Explorer (guess the color). subdued star on the car door

They like the 'Northbound' the best, but will pick a lone antelope or grasshopper running southbound, not in the pack.

There, saved you a $100 bucks, easy.
Drive safe out there
Old 08-13-2018, 07:46 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
Stay away from Montgomery Co. Maryland, traffic camera capital of USA. Always have a fellow speeder .75 miles in front of you when speeding. You need a rabbit to draw out the wolf.
streaminwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 01:29 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Wenatchee , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd tighe View Post
My recommendation is slow down and enjoy the ride. Less stress

I agree but there are some areas in this country that seem to put a higher emphasis on revenue than traffic safety. Talk to any DOT Engineer about the effect a few tenths of a second difference of the length of a Yellow light can have on compliance.

It seems that some local governments are funded primarily by traffic fines and that is a poor business model IMHO.
WBCCI #7180
21Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 04:46 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Chesterfield , Missouri
Hannibal Missouri is the only city in Missouri with red light cameras. Very short yellow light.. it’s a costly gotcha, which includes points against your drivers license. Or, you can spend an additional $300 and have a lawyer reduce it to a non moving (no points) violation. It’s all about $$.
Old 08-14-2018, 04:59 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2018 26' Flying Cloud
Morristown , Tennessee
Bristol, Virginia along I-81 has very efficient traffic cameras.

Since getting the Airstream, I kind of enjoy driving the speed limit, and wave to the nice officers wherever I am.
Old 08-14-2018, 05:08 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 19' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 21Airstream View Post
I agree but there are some areas in this country that seem to put a higher emphasis on revenue than traffic safety. Talk to any DOT Engineer about the effect a few tenths of a second difference of the length of a Yellow light can have on compliance.

It seems that some local governments are funded primarily by traffic fines and that is a poor business model IMHO.
Those same officers respond and scrape up the aftermath of idiot drivers. My hatís off to them. Weíre pushing 1000 fatalities in a Michigan and the year is only half over. People blow through lights after cars have gone through on the green so itís not about timing the yellow.

We have unmarked and semi marked cars locally looking for distracted driving and aggressive driving, as well as speeding and traffic signal violations. Thereís no excuse for the fatalities I see on 35mph local roads. No, itís not all about revenue.

Tow Vehicle: Ford Superduty crew cab 6.2L V8
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 09:57 AM   #11
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
Those same officers respond and scrape up the aftermath of idiot drivers. My hatís off to them. Weíre pushing 1000 fatalities in a Michigan and the year is only half over. People blow through lights after cars have gone through on the green so itís not about timing the yellow.

We have unmarked and semi marked cars locally looking for distracted driving and aggressive driving, as well as speeding and traffic signal violations. Thereís no excuse for the fatalities I see on 35mph local roads. No, itís not all about revenue.
Fully agree.

We have a provincial program underway to expand the use of red light cameras, based on frequent crash locations. I'm all for it. The revenue doesn't go to the local municipality.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 10:22 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2018 23' International
Gulf Breeze , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by wimpy View Post
The National Motorists Association www.motorists.org offers The National Speed Trap Exchange: https://www.speedtrap.org. These are user submitted, but I've found they are beneficial. 2 weeks ago, we were attending grand-daughters' basketball event in Suwanee, GA. in less than 36 hours, we encountered 3 incidences of revenue enhancement opportunities which were listed and avoided contributing to the revenue stream.

In addition, they are very proactive re: red light cameras (IMHO,principally a revenue generator for the governing body as they provide no reduction in accidents) & speed cameras as well as other driver-related topics.

If you aren't using the WAZE app, it is very useful in helping avoid traffic tie-ups and may offer info re: police presence as well as potential hazards on your chosen route.
I live in the Pensacola area and lived in Gulf Breeze for 15 years. GB is a peninsula in-between the City of Pensacola and the Pensacola Beach that many like to visit and some camp at Fort Pickens. GB is a very small town and heavily relies on radar and for several years Photo ticketing at the three major traffic lights in the town or the town of Proper. Ironically the only light that does not have a camera is the entrance to the elementary school which clearly indicates the city cares little about the youngsters and more about raising revenues at the three major intersections. They are not ashamed of their position to and for the most part, this is the extent of their business. They will get you if you fly over the 3-mile bridge and hit their 35 MPH streets or coming back from the beach down a steep grade of the Bob Sikes bridge looking at the pretty sea and not your speedometer and go over 35MPH. And to be fair Pensacola police watch the beach side of the Bob Sikes bridge where after sitting for long lengths of time to pay the toll you may find yourself bolting out and the speed limit of 30 MPH and not hard to go over. There will be a sheriff sitting right there to give you just enough time to speed up before hitting the only traffic light on the beach. Beware is all I can say. I see people pulled over every day without exception and no matter the time of year.
Dawny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 11:09 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
chino hills , California
I find this subject quite amusing. Especially from Airstream owners. You’re constantly professing that it’s not about the destinations it’s about the beautiful journey.
Speed most certainly does KILL .My prayer and hope for all of you is a safe journey, building new relationships & living the Airstream dream of adventure.
Please leave speeding to those who do it professionally and those doing it this week at the Bonneville salt Flats in Utah third day of speed trials. Where they have had land speed records this week of over 450 mph. Let’s all watch that and make it home each day.
Enjoy the journey! Live the dream! And let kindness rule!
redhat200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 11:45 AM   #14
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Oak Creek , Arizona
I don't think this thread is about speeding. It's more about speed traps and warnings about areas that are set up to make you fail if you are not meticulous about slowing to the posted speed by the time you reach the sign. Were talking about 5 or 6 thousand pounds of trailer pushing you down a 6% grade into some little hamlet at the bottom of the hill that wants to diligently enforce a 25mph speed limit. Cuba, NM is renown for doing this.

Also, many cities partnered with third party companies that would install red light cams, shorten the yellow, and issue fines to any perpetrator that happened to be in the intersection when the light changed red. These companies collected the fines and then shared the funds with the city. Many were challenged in court and have been removed, but not before fleecing thousands of dollars from motorist attempting to make a left turn at a busy intersection. It was not about safety, but more about entrapment.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote