Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-04-2012, 06:51 PM   #1
Dazed and Confused
 
Isuzusweet's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2,424
Ummmm, could this work?

In my Can't breathe, need air posting I just for laughs mused about replacing my rear air compressor (which has gone south) with an engine mounted air compressor.............which got me thinking..........which can be dangerous.
My engine A/C doesn't work.....Yes I could fix it but that would mean a conversion to H134, fixing what leaked, ($diagnosis) or even a new A/C compressor, $$$$$$$. Judging by how much heat came out of the front vents when I drove it recently, the cooling capacity of the stock A/C bites. The guys at P&S trailers told me his Dad drives with the generator running powering the front A/C roof unit as the engine A/C can't keep up.

Got me thinking...........

What if I mounted an engine powered AC 120V generator, like one of these...

BELT DRIVEN GENERATOR | POWER MITE | UNDER HOOD GENERATOR | FABCO POWER

to power the front A/C unit exclusively. Could it be done?

The cool thing it comes with a throttle control in the kit which I need to set my diesel to a smooth rpm after start up.

The Blue Max comes with 4500 watts and a voltage regulator for using while driving.
__________________

__________________
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:25 PM   #2
Rivet Master
 
Smartstream's Avatar

 
1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
In my Can't breathe, need air posting I just for laughs mused about replacing my rear air compressor (which has gone south) with an engine mounted air compressor.............which got me thinking..........which can be dangerous.
My engine A/C doesn't work.....Yes I could fix it but that would mean a conversion to H134, fixing what leaked, ($diagnosis) or even a new A/C compressor, $$$$$$$. Judging by how much heat came out of the front vents when I drove it recently, the cooling capacity of the stock A/C bites. The guys at P&S trailers told me his Dad drives with the generator running powering the front A/C roof unit as the engine A/C can't keep up.

Got me thinking...........

What if I mounted an engine powered AC 120V generator, like one of these...

BELT DRIVEN GENERATOR | POWER MITE | UNDER HOOD GENERATOR | FABCO POWER

to power the front A/C unit exclusively. Could it be done?

The cool thing it comes with a throttle control in the kit which I need to set my diesel to a smooth rpm after start up.

The Blue Max comes with 4500 watts and a voltage regulator for using while driving.
I have a similar unit on my boat. The problem is not just maintaining constant voltage but holding frequency at 60 cycles. Brush type motors don't care about cycles but induction motors like your A/C are very dependent on that 60 cycles. On a boat these generators work well because you set the throttle and sit back and enjoy. This is not likely going to happen going down the highway.

I recommend you fix your dash air, it isn't a lot but it's better than nothing. Last year we did 16,000 miles in four months and ran the dash air probably 90% of the time the engine was running. A few days we did run the roof air too but usually the dash air was enough to take the edge off. In saying that remember we grew up in cars without A/C and somehow survived.

Cheers, Dan
__________________

__________________
Smartstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:08 PM   #3
moderator
Commercial Member
 
Airslide's Avatar

 
2014 23' FB International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,705
Images: 50
Send a message via Yahoo to Airslide
Dan,

Cars without A/C? What are you talking about? lol :-)
__________________
"Old fashioned service on your late model Airstream"

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:48 PM   #4
Rivet Master
 
Smartstream's Avatar

 
1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airslide View Post
Dan,

Cars without A/C? What are you talking about? lol :-)
Man I'm sorry Vinnie, I forgot about you young whippersnappers.

To put it in terms you might understand, leave all the new Mercedes on the lot and park your mega Ford incident response vehicle. Now drag out your old Jeep and drive it exclusively for several months, trust me my young friend, not only will you learn, but it also builds character.

Cheers, Dan
__________________
Smartstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:07 AM   #5
Figment of My Imagination
 
Protagonist's Avatar
 
2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 10,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartstream View Post
Man I'm sorry Vinnie, I forgot about you young whippersnappers.

To put it in terms you might understand, leave all the new Mercedes on the lot and park your mega Ford incident response vehicle. Now drag out your old Jeep and drive it exclusively for several months, trust me my young friend, not only will you learn, but it also builds character.

Cheers, Dan
Yah. When I was growing up in Oklahoma, there was a stock joke, "How can you spot a rich Okie?" The answer, "He drives with the windows closed." Windows closed means, his car has AC. In those days, air conditioning was an extra-price option in most automobiles, and you had to special-order it that way.

For real character-building, try driving across Death Valley in high summer, with all the windows open and the heater blowing full-blast to help keep the engine from overheating. So many people forget that a heater is another radiator and supplements the engine cooling capacity.
__________________
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:43 AM   #6
Rivet Master
 
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 2,101
Our dash AC slide bar (ac to heat) moves, but the cable it is moving doesn't. If you will check under the hood, on the passenger side, and trace the cable to its junction, you may be able to manually move the switch...I did that for a few years till the AC pulley began its squawk of death...may have to wait for the lottery win, Publishers Clearinghouse, or Dialing-for-Dollars(hmm, are they still around?) before we get dash ac back...
__________________
Michael & Tracy
1989 345 Motorhome
CHARTER MEMBERS: FOUR CORNERS UNIT, AND PROUD OF IT!!!
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:55 AM   #7
Figment of My Imagination
 
Protagonist's Avatar
 
2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 10,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrapIrony-2 View Post
Our dash AC slide bar (ac to heat) moves, but the cable it is moving doesn't. If you will check under the hood, on the passenger side, and trace the cable to its junction, you may be able to manually move the switch...I did that for a few years till the AC pulley began its squawk of death...may have to wait for the lottery win, Publishers Clearinghouse, or Dialing-for-Dollars(hmm, are they still around?) before we get dash ac back...

The AC cable is very much like an old-fashioned carburator choke cable. Or a bicycle brake or shifter cable. May require some slight disassembly, but it shouldn't be all that hard to replace.

May not even NEED replacing, come to think of it. The cable only works if the cable sheath is properly clamped down so it doesn't move with the cable, so check the cable clamps.

Also, They make lubricant for bicycle brake cable, which should work on your AC cable. One brand I know of is Dupont Finish Line Extreme Fluoro. If the cable is just stuck, so that it doesn't slide in its sheath, lubing it up might help.
__________________
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:48 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member
 
DKAir's Avatar
 
2003 30' Classic S/O
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
For real character-building, try driving across Death Valley in high summer, with all the windows open and the heater blowing full-blast to help keep the engine from overheating. So many people forget that a heater is another radiator and supplements the engine cooling capacity.
I did this in 1997 in my striped down Dodge Neon. Las Vegas to Sacramento in 112 degree heat, heat blasting and certain windows partially up as they were tinted and helped keep our skin from melting. Definitely built some character but made for very grouchy female companions.
__________________
AIR: 48965
TAC: MN-7
DKAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:48 PM   #9
Dazed and Confused
 
Isuzusweet's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2,424
Yes my first five cars and trucks were non A/C but I lived on Saltspring Island just a stones throw from you Dan and after 8 weeks of constant drizell we were begging for heat. Never knew humidity until I moved to Ontario.

OK y'all I'm putting this thread back on track.....

Dan, I hear you about the hertz and I understand about engine speed being variable which is not good, so I started looking at variable speed belt driven pulleys. Sort of like a snowmobile clutch that would have weights and as the engine revs decreased the weights would retract causing the flywheel pulley to contract to keep the shaft speed of the generator at a constant speed. However it would require the generator being mounted on a spring loaded slide to keep belt tension the same.........Sounds great, but for one small problem....no one has invented it yet.....

Plan B......or is it plan C.....variable speed generator that has the capacity to with stand variable engine speeds and deliver constant power even at low rpms..........

Aura Systems Inc - AUSI

I've e-mailed them for a price but all I got in response was "We'd love to sell you our gadget but we're not telling you how much yet.

What do you think.......
__________________
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:46 PM   #10
Rivet Master

 
Southwestern , Ohio
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
Yes my first five cars and trucks were non A/C but I lived on Saltspring Island just a stones throw from you Dan and after 8 weeks of constant drizell we were begging for heat. Never knew humidity until I moved to Ontario.

OK y'all I'm putting this thread back on track.....

Dan, I hear you about the hertz and I understand about engine speed being variable which is not good, so I started looking at variable speed belt driven pulleys. Sort of like a snowmobile clutch that would have weights and as the engine revs decreased the weights would retract causing the flywheel pulley to contract to keep the shaft speed of the generator at a constant speed. However it would require the generator being mounted on a spring loaded slide to keep belt tension the same.........Sounds great, but for one small problem....no one has invented it yet.....

Plan B......or is it plan C.....variable speed generator that has the capacity to with stand variable engine speeds and deliver constant power even at low rpms..........

Aura Systems Inc - AUSI

I've e-mailed them for a price but all I got in response was "We'd love to sell you our gadget but we're not telling you how much yet.

What do you think.......
Well, first of all, this Aura generator is an inverter generator like the popular Honda EU-1000, -2000, etc. It generates DC and then electronically converts it to AC at the desired 60 Hz. There is no reason in principle this couldn't be done with a generator driven off the vehicle engine.

But. . . looking at their web site. . . it looks to me like they didn't quote you a price because their gadget doesn't really exist yet except as maybe a prototype. In other words, a solution looking for a problem (and a customer able to bankroll it).
,
__________________
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:58 AM   #11
Rivet Master
 
Smartstream's Avatar

 
1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
Yes my first five cars and trucks were non A/C but I lived on Saltspring Island just a stones throw from you Dan and after 8 weeks of constant drizell we were begging for heat. Never knew humidity until I moved to Ontario.

OK y'all I'm putting this thread back on track.....

Dan, I hear you about the hertz and I understand about engine speed being variable which is not good, so I started looking at variable speed belt driven pulleys. Sort of like a snowmobile clutch that would have weights and as the engine revs decreased the weights would retract causing the flywheel pulley to contract to keep the shaft speed of the generator at a constant speed. However it would require the generator being mounted on a spring loaded slide to keep belt tension the same.........Sounds great, but for one small problem....no one has invented it yet.....

Plan B......or is it plan C.....variable speed generator that has the capacity to with stand variable engine speeds and deliver constant power even at low rpms..........

Aura Systems Inc - AUSI

I've e-mailed them for a price but all I got in response was "We'd love to sell you our gadget but we're not telling you how much yet.

What do you think.......
There are many variable speed pulley set-ups around but I don't think you will come anywhere near being cost effective. You could get a high capacity inverter to drive your roof A/C but then you would need a larger alternator. The problem with that is your vacuum pump runs off the back of your existing alternator. You also start to get bretty busy around the front of the engine.

You can run an afwul lot of propane through your gen-set for what some of this hardware costs. The other good thing is the gen-set is way in the back where you don't hear it.

I would look into fixing you dash air. These are pretty simple systems and with a little help from the forum you could make some cool yourself without too much trouble.

Cheers, Dan

By the way what kind of Brit are you that you let little drizel on Salt Spring chase you away?
__________________
Smartstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:55 AM   #12
Rivet Master

 
Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,305
The most efficient and lightest way would be a 3 phase generator driving 3 phase motors with a low frequency cut out. Much more frequency tolerant. Lighter weight... Electrical system of choice in aircraft.

As long as we are thinking outside the box...

There is a company building what they are calling a "hybrid generator" for RVs. It uses a Diesel engine running at variable speed or off to charge a bank of batteries. A liquid cooled inverter provides all of the coaches AC. I'm supe it's expensive but might have ideas worth pondering.
__________________
Kota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:03 AM   #13
Rivet Master

 
Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,305
As long as we are dreaming.


__________________
Kota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:10 PM   #14
Dazed and Confused
 
Isuzusweet's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2,424
By the way what kind of Brit are you that you let little drizel on Salt Spring chase you away?[/QUOTE]

Sorry, spelt drizzle wrong.

As for leaving SSI....... I was sent to visit family in England as my folks needed some time to sort some things out; decided I didn't want to come home so at 15 years 8 months 2 weeks old I walked into a recruiting office in Worthing Sussex and requested to join the RAF. The sargeant behind the desk told me I was too young and to come back in two weeks. Two weeks later I signed up for the Royal Marines as the sargeant stated I was too bloody big to fly. Ended up at Four Five Commando in Condor, yomped around the Falklands as a sniper with the MAWC; tours in Ireland dancing with the Provos, Belize/Guatemaula/Honduras, Oman and Indonesia. Discharged at 22 and returned home (I had decided Canada was really home) to find BC with no jobs, so I left for Ontario.
__________________

__________________
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.