Old 12-29-2014, 12:27 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Derek, I wouldnt use the old foam either, definately going to use a high quality foam for the redo. If I could find a premanufactured flip couch to sit on the platform I would consider it for sure. The only ones that I have seen are of pretty low quality. Thats why Ive decided to bite the bullet on the couch redo. The other option would be to rip out the platform the couch sits on and replace with a couch with legs or whatever. I dont want to lose the storage under the existing platform. (Indoor and outdoor access). The couch is the only real piece of furniture in the coach for lounging so Im willing to spend the do ra mi.
Mike

Old 12-29-2014, 04:13 PM   #16
Regular Guy

1978 31' Sovereign
Hot Springs , Arkansas
Take a look at HANCOCK FABRICS.com, They have a "Whisper Vinyl" that is covered with a urethane layer that is extremely durable, and can be wiped down with a wet cloth. I have chosen this one after seeing it in the store. It has a very nice hand, and not slick nor suede like.

Old 12-29-2014, 05:17 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
I will, thank you!
Old 12-29-2014, 05:25 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
We even have a Hancocks here in town so if they have it in stock Ill be able to take a look and feel. Are you replacing your foam also NavyCorpsman? Id would be interested in what youve chosen for specs on the foam.

Thanks again,
Mike
Old 12-29-2014, 05:29 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
We had redone some of the cushions in our old Argosy with Ultraleather. Bought it from here at a much discounted price. You have to like something from the limited selection of colors.

No cats, but the humans using the trailer found it to be very comfortable and easy to clean.

Tom
Old 12-29-2014, 10:16 PM   #20
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Mike

Thought you would want to check this site out as it's all about foam. We are going to this shop tomorrow and will let you know what we find out.

Different grades of foam for Sitting, Sleeping and Real Comfort | Foamite Custom Cut Foam

Cheers
Tony

Its a recession when your neighbor loses his job; its a depression when you lose your own. "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 07:23 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
I will be real interested in what you find out. Thats a good link, first time I have seen them graded with those numbers. Here is another good site you might want to take a look at Tony.

Foam information and specifications
The Purpose of this webpage is to educate you about foam cushion materials which are used in furniture. There are many different grades of foam that are ...
You visited this page on 12/27/14.
Old 12-30-2014, 08:03 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
1955 22' Flying Cloud
1964 17' Bambi II
Clear Lake Shores , Texas
Had all my cushions replaced with memory foam and ultraleather. Could not be happier. Cool in the summer, never clammy, very durable, super soft and looks great. Spend the $$ and enjoy.
Old 12-30-2014, 08:37 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Did you use memory foam for the entire thickness or a combination of regular foam with a memory foam "cover"?
Old 12-30-2014, 09:25 AM   #24
Regular Guy

1978 31' Sovereign
Hot Springs , Arkansas
upholstery redo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayco View Post
We even have a Hancocks here in town so if they have it in stock Ill be able to take a look and feel. Are you replacing your foam also NavyCorpsman? Id would be interested in what youve chosen for specs on the foam.

Thanks again,
Mike
I found some very dense foam at an upholstery shop that is used for church pews. It is fairly dense and is 2 1/2 inches thick. I have a 2 inch memory foam that is going on top, and need to get one more section.

A small problem that I have encountered is that foam at Hancock (which is all good stuff) wasn't in the length/dimension that I needed. My preference is to use the material in one continuous length.

I am still trying to figure out the arm rests with the flip over table. Once I get that sorted out I can recover it all at the same time with vinyl from the same roll. (See my previous posts, and that super cool chair and armrest)
I am also going to recover the "backsplash" for the sofa and twin beds.
As far as pricing, it's on sale for 18.00/yd. It's a great value.
The biggest thing I have personally reupholstered was a motorcycle seat and some deck furniture on my party barge. This is my first time up with a AS sofa. Its all straight forward and am looking forward to doing the work. It's number three on my to get it done list.
Mike, I hope you're enjoying yours at least half as much as I am mine. It is a source of much joy, and a great stress reliever. I hope you can find exactly what you're looking for.
I will post pictures when I get it done.
Warm regards,
Clayton
Old 12-30-2014, 12:00 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Thank you Clayton. We have had a great time so far enjoying our 310 though havent gotten out near as much as we would like. Wife retires in 22 months, but whos counting. We have been venturing a bit further each time we have traveled in it. Ive been working on it for about a year and a half and most of the things Ive done wont even be seen, but needed done. Just now getting to more of the cosmetic improvements, thus the couch redo.
I picked up a large sample of the "whisper vinyl" this morning. The color selection is pretty limited but its really good looking material. Ive seen good reviews on a couple of hot rod and classic car websites. Waiting on samples of ultrleather and the sunbrella material. Still need to nail down the specs on the foam.
Question.....are you going to cover your foam in dacron under the vinyl? The woman at Hancock fabrics didnt seem to think it was necessary but from what I have read it is recommended.
Mike
Old 12-30-2014, 12:08 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
1955 22' Flying Cloud
1964 17' Bambi II
Clear Lake Shores , Texas
Shop did mine but I know there is some "standard" covered by soem memory foam. Total thinkness is 5" or 6".
Old 12-30-2014, 12:17 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Greensboro , North Carolina
UltraLeather.... for sure
Otter Lake, ON, Canada 2010 15 - 2010-08-12 at 19-30-52 by Fantinesvoice.com, on Flickr

I have had dogs like this one, pit bulls, rottweilers, Jack Russell's, all over the Ultra Leather in my Allegro Bus, not one bit of damage. But, I think it may come in different grades as in my Serenity it does not seem to me to be the same weight as it was in my moho. And, I have cleaned bacon grease, chocolate, salad dressing, sugar, from the UltraLeather with simply a damp towel.
AIR #31871 WBAC #4165 K4MTL

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 12:23 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Well thats a good review for sure. Im not sure if it comes in varying weights but I will check it out. Wife and I were talking about what stains or grime we would be most concerned with. Coffee, motor grime, and blood from my knuckles rated the top three.....