Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-30-2014, 06:23 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
I will be real interested in what you find out. Thats a good link, first time I have seen them graded with those numbers. Here is another good site you might want to take a look at Tony.

Foam information and specifications
The Purpose of this webpage is to educate you about foam cushion materials which are used in furniture. There are many different grades of foam that are ...
You visited this page on 12/27/14.
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 07:03 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Laredo , Texas
Had all my cushions replaced with memory foam and ultraleather. Could not be happier. Cool in the summer, never clammy, very durable, super soft and looks great. Spend the $$ and enjoy.
55AS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 07:37 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Did you use memory foam for the entire thickness or a combination of regular foam with a memory foam "cover"?
Old 12-30-2014, 08:25 AM   #24
Regular Guy

1978 31' Sovereign
Hot Springs , Arkansas
upholstery redo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayco View Post
We even have a Hancocks here in town so if they have it in stock Ill be able to take a look and feel. Are you replacing your foam also NavyCorpsman? Id would be interested in what youve chosen for specs on the foam.

Thanks again,
Mike
I found some very dense foam at an upholstery shop that is used for church pews. It is fairly dense and is 2 1/2 inches thick. I have a 2 inch memory foam that is going on top, and need to get one more section.

A small problem that I have encountered is that foam at Hancock (which is all good stuff) wasn't in the length/dimension that I needed. My preference is to use the material in one continuous length.

I am still trying to figure out the arm rests with the flip over table. Once I get that sorted out I can recover it all at the same time with vinyl from the same roll. (See my previous posts, and that super cool chair and armrest)
I am also going to recover the "backsplash" for the sofa and twin beds.
As far as pricing, it's on sale for 18.00/yd. It's a great value.
The biggest thing I have personally reupholstered was a motorcycle seat and some deck furniture on my party barge. This is my first time up with a AS sofa. Its all straight forward and am looking forward to doing the work. It's number three on my to get it done list.
Mike, I hope you're enjoying yours at least half as much as I am mine. It is a source of much joy, and a great stress reliever. I hope you can find exactly what you're looking for.
I will post pictures when I get it done.
Warm regards,
Clayton
NavyCorpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 11:00 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Thank you Clayton. We have had a great time so far enjoying our 310 though havent gotten out near as much as we would like. Wife retires in 22 months, but whos counting. We have been venturing a bit further each time we have traveled in it. Ive been working on it for about a year and a half and most of the things Ive done wont even be seen, but needed done. Just now getting to more of the cosmetic improvements, thus the couch redo.
I picked up a large sample of the "whisper vinyl" this morning. The color selection is pretty limited but its really good looking material. Ive seen good reviews on a couple of hot rod and classic car websites. Waiting on samples of ultrleather and the sunbrella material. Still need to nail down the specs on the foam.
Question.....are you going to cover your foam in dacron under the vinyl? The woman at Hancock fabrics didnt seem to think it was necessary but from what I have read it is recommended.
Mike
Old 12-30-2014, 11:08 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Laredo , Texas
Shop did mine but I know there is some "standard" covered by soem memory foam. Total thinkness is 5" or 6".
55AS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 11:17 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
UltraLeather.... for sure
Otter Lake, ON, Canada 2010 15 - 2010-08-12 at 19-30-52 by Fantinesvoice.com, on Flickr

I have had dogs like this one, pit bulls, rottweilers, Jack Russell's, all over the Ultra Leather in my Allegro Bus, not one bit of damage. But, I think it may come in different grades as in my Serenity it does not seem to me to be the same weight as it was in my moho. And, I have cleaned bacon grease, chocolate, salad dressing, sugar, from the UltraLeather with simply a damp towel.
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 11:23 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Well thats a good review for sure. Im not sure if it comes in varying weights but I will check it out. Wife and I were talking about what stains or grime we would be most concerned with. Coffee, motor grime, and blood from my knuckles rated the top three.....
Old 12-30-2014, 11:41 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
UltraLeather info at

https://www.ultrafabricsllc.com/Site/Performance/
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 07:34 AM   #30
Regular Guy

1978 31' Sovereign
Hot Springs , Arkansas
Dacron

Quote:
Thank you Clayton. We have had a great time so far enjoying our 310 though havent gotten out near as much as we would like. Wife retires in 22 months, but whos counting. We have been venturing a bit further each time we have traveled in it. Ive been working on it for about a year and a half and most of the things Ive done wont even be seen, but needed done. Just now getting to more of the cosmetic improvements, thus the couch redo.
I picked up a large sample of the "whisper vinyl" this morning. The color selection is pretty limited but its really good looking material. Ive seen good reviews on a couple of hot rod and classic car websites. Waiting on samples of ultrleather and the sunbrella material. Still need to nail down the specs on the foam.
Question.....are you going to cover your foam in dacron under the vinyl? The woman at Hancock fabrics didnt seem to think it was necessary but from what I have read it is recommended.
Mike
Mike,
I have considered using it this time. I did not on past projects and had a good outcome. I guess it would provide a little initial cushion and maybe allow the fabric to glide a little instead of sticking and stretching. Dimensionally it would take up negligible thickness. The foam has somewhat of a grip to it and I could see where it would be good idea to use it.
One of our home sofas that is covered in leather has a Dacron like covering. The vinyl does not. The leather sofa is of a higher quality.
So, based on my simple and limited observations, I will go with the Dacron.
Thanks and have a Safe, Happy and Blessed New Year!
Clayton.
NavyCorpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 07:53 AM   #31
4 Rivet Member

2004 31' Classic
lubbock , Texas
Found faux leather at fabric.com & seems like good pricing ... Ordered samples ... Have not done any re-do s yet ... Looking to fix my L-bench in our 2013 signature.
jump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 05:01 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Tony, did you have any luck at the foam store specing out what youre going to use? Did you nail down the ILD and density for the seats and the back cushions? wrapped with dacron or not?
Im still waiting on samples of fabric and I think Im going to actually do some stain testing on the different fabrics. So Im looking at Ultraleather, Sunbrella, and whisper vinyl. I know Im getting all anal about this but its going to be expensive and I only want to do this once. I want to know exactly what Im paying for rather than just trusting a upholstery shop to recommend this or that.
Im also planning on extending the seat cushions about 2" on the front and the back extending up about 2"'taller. I know Ill lose the ability to flip the couch over to form a sleeper by doing this but......the 2" wider seat would provide a sleeping spot for 1 and I think the taller back will be more compfortable and look better. We can alway carry a single size air mattress to use on the floor next to the couch on the very rare occasion that the kids may be spending the night with us.
Interested to know what you found out at the foam store

Thanks,
Mike
Old 01-01-2015, 05:44 AM   #33
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Hi Mike,

I spent a chunk of time yesterday at the place that is making the mattresses for our twin beds/dinette. Because they need to be only 4-5" thick (so that we can sit on them and comfortably get our legs under the table) they are going to have to be foam not pocket sprung.

The shop I am using specializes in multipurpose seating (mainly for boats) and had test pieces to allow them to combine different densities for me to sit on/lay on. I have to say up front the combination chosen is specific to my preferences (and I weight 275lb so prefer something really supporting) but we went through many combinations of medium and high density, and different qualities and types but ended up with 2" 2.645 HQ combined with 2" 2.627 HQ covered by a 1.5" pillow top (the pillow top is just a cover and doesn't add anything in tops of support). Because these are HQ foams the shop told me they will last for many years before needing replacement.

Hope this helps and I would certainly recommend the combination for a sofa as well.
martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 07:08 AM   #34
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Tony, did you have any luck at the foam store specing out what youre going to use? Did you nail down the ILD and density for the seats and the back cushions? wrapped with dacron or not?

Interested to know what you found out at the foam store

Thanks,
Mike
Sorry Mike, We went to the store only to find it closed for the holiday season, (should have phoned first). I will try for next Friday as I have a half day at work.

Happy New Years mate
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 07:19 AM   #35
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Thanks for the help fellas. Im going to know one hell of a lot more about foam than I ever wanted to before this gets done...:-). Not sure I have seen the term "hq" in regards to foam. Ill google that up.

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU,

Mike
Old 01-01-2015, 07:42 AM   #36
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
I can only relate what the shop told me Mike, but they said the first two numbers are the density (so both mine are 2.6 density), they second pair are the compressiblity (so 27lb and 45lb) but then there was 'normal' and/or HQ (or LUX) quality. I have found information on the normal stuff on-line (for example http://www.albanyfoam.com/images/Page_04.pdf) but nothing on the HQ stuff. The shop had both but I have no idea why it is different, maybe they were just two different suppliers/price points?
martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 07:49 AM   #37
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Southwestern Ontario , Ontario Canada
Send a message via MSN to TRIPPPIN Send a message via Yahoo to TRIPPPIN
Quote:
Thats an interesting idea Tony I will check out their products. One thing I had read about the ULTRALEATHER is that it does breath a bit, not sure how true that is, would like some feed back.

We do have a dog and pet friendly is important. He doesnt dig or scratch at our leather furniture in the house but we do keep a throw where he likes to lay.
I had ultraleather in my previous Sprinter motorhome and would never use it again. I don't know how they can get away calling it that because it is vinyl - not leather. I live in Ontario Canada and used it daily from zero to 100 degrees weather. I found it does not breathe at all and when it is humid is makes me sweat on long trips. If you only sit on it for a short period ie. eating I guess it would be OK. As a seat for driving it is terrible in my opinion. I have leather in all my other vehicles and no problems with the real stuff. For sleeping you need a mattress pad or some fabric thickness under you to avoid the effects of plastic under you. I had my sprinter motorhome 5 years and drove it 60000 miles every day and the "ultraleather" was wearing on the drivers seat. If you don't mind vinyl seats this is a good product as it has a nice feel versus regular vinyl.

I also had memory foam on the rear seats and sofa/bed and had it removed from the sofa/bed. I freezes like a rock on really cold weather and you will be sitting on an ice block until your backside warms it. If you stay in warmer climates only it won't be an issue unless you find foam generally warm to sleep on in which case it will not work for you without the AC on on hot nights. Just my experience.

Memory
TRIPPPIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 08:21 AM   #38
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Martin I have seen the "LUX" foam referred to and it looks like the "HQ" is the same thing. Must be their top quality foam. I just wasnt reading your numbers right. Now I see what they recommended. 2.6 density with 45 ILD and then a lower ILD for a softer top layer.

Thank you March for your info and evaluation of the Ultraleather. Sure seems like there are folks on two sides of the fence with that material.....with the price per yard being what it is Im questioning whether I want to take the chance on it. Especially since there are so many products out there.

My first choice would be mohair but a brother of mine recently had a small antique couch done in that and when he told me the price of the mohair I about hit the floor.
Old 01-01-2015, 08:33 AM   #39
3 Rivet Member

1991 29' Excella
Currently Looking...
Marco Island , Florida
Here's where I ordered our ultra leather from: http://www.totofabrics.com/
I couldn't have been happier with the quality or price. Their upholstery is 75% off retail with free shipping for orders over $100 (which I don't believe was the case for shipping when I ordered) Free samples shipped to you as well.
911Patriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 11:08 AM   #40
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Decided on going with the following; seat cushions = 2.8 density/38ILD, back cushions = 1.8 density/ 38ILD. cushions will come with full dacron wrap.
Fabric will be Whisper Vinyl, cappuccino. hancockfabrics.com/whisper-cappuccino-vinyl-fabric-208355.html.........the whisper vinyl has a 4 part polyurethane surface finish so will have similar characteristics of the 100% Ultraleather as far as cleanup, stain resistance, uv and mildew resistance.
Fabric was about 50% off retail so about $12.50 per yard. The whisper vinyl got very good reviews on all the marine/hot rod web sites that I searched.
Now searching for local shop to do the work.