Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-30-2010, 07:42 AM   #1
Kmpro

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Lubbock , Texas
Question TV Antenna Replacement

Many AS Classic owners don't have a TV on board, but I keep in touch with news and events using TV. My point is: The TV antenna on my 310 is crap!! Reception is at best not good, and the signal is lost part of the time, which makes watching TV frustrating to say the least. I need to know if you have replaced the antenna, Brand of replacement, and who installed it? Help me Obi Wan Kenobi, you are my only hope. Obi Wan Forum.
Mike
Old 11-02-2010, 11:39 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
From what I know my 345 had a Sat system in the roof, and it was removed 2 owners past..
I did some research and this is what I bought based on that...
Winegard Co - Winegard Sensar IV DTV/HDTV Antenna - Over-the-Air Antennas - Camping World

I have not fitted it yet, so cannot comment on ease of fitting or performance.
Keyair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 05:36 PM   #3
Kmpro

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Lubbock , Texas
Question TV Antenna Replacement

KeyAir:
Thanks for the info on the antenna, that's what I will go to. The installation and mounting is where my question mark is right now. I probably worry too much, but want it installed with new co-ax cable and finding the peeps to do that is not easy. They give a nebulous answer when quizzed on this and that makes me feel uneasy. The AS dealer here gives the same kind of answer too. Not Good!!!
Mike
Old 11-02-2010, 06:41 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2012 31' Classic
1999 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Andalusia , Alabama
Running a new coax will be very difficult. It is secured in many places along the run.
Robfike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 07:25 PM   #5
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
I agree that replacing a 26-year-old antenna AND the cabling it was born with is a Good Idea. Corrosion alone, ignoring the possibility that somewhere along its length the cable was somehow pierced at some point in time, will make for poor reception.

Equally true that the old cable will Not come out easily, so let it be. Run new, through the ceiling panel that runs front to back in the cabin, if necessary.

The force is with you, Luke. Gopher it!
Old 11-03-2010, 04:43 PM   #6
Jamie

1984 31' Limited
1983 31' Airstream310
Oriental , North Carolina
Good advice all! When the old cable was installed they pieced it - some coax and the rest regular 2-conductor wire. It is tied at several points as it passes through frame members. Give up trying to pull it out. Run new coax by pulling off the ceiling panel separator strips and tucking it under. DO NOT try to remove ceiling panels unless you have many months to work on getting them back up. Voice of experience!
Jamie
jking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 07:12 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Hattiesburg , Ms
Send a message via AIM to gutsgolf Send a message via Skype™ to gutsgolf
Check work done

I have had quite and experience with a very large camping supply company. I bought a TV antenna and an A/C at the same time. Well 5 weeks after install the A/C went out I took it back . They opened up the unit and found a block of styrafoam inside by the blower as big as a softball. They blamed me for it being there. Why would I even open up the unit on the roof. I was told I could buy another on at cost but that was all they would do. As to the antenna , I am doing a remodel and opened up the area where the coax goes through the roof and found that all that is going through the roof is the little copper center wire, the shielding had been cut back. I will be addressing this with them
"Silver Belle"
AS 16741
gutsgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 10:38 PM   #8
Kmpro

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Lubbock , Texas
Thumbs up TV Antenna Replacement

Thanks for the info on the antenna Guys. After reading all the horror stories, I decided to go to Wally World and shop for an indoor antenna for HD TV. For now we are getting great HD reception with a $ 9.96 tabletop antenna. I may install the Winegard at a later date, but for now I can live with the cheapie.
Mike