Old 10-13-2011, 08:26 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1982 31' Airstream 310
Dayton , Tennessee
Transmission service

How do I find out what kind of transmission I have? I can find no records of any routine past service & although I'm having no problems of any kind, in fact it shifts just fine, a 1982 model '310' with 68000 miles on her probably deserves a little attention. I'd like to determine what pan gasket & filter to order, & the capacity. I know it uses Dextron & the fluid looks OK & doesn't smell but a little preventive maintenance is in order.
Thanks for any info-------------Pete

Old 10-13-2011, 08:40 PM   #2
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
It's a GM Turbo-Hydramatic 400 derivative. You can get the filter and gasket for a Turbo 400 and it will fit with no problem. If you feel like verifying, you can look at the pan, and it will have "Hydramatic Div of GMC" stamped on the pan. You should find a single wire leading to the transmission, which is for the electric downshift solenoid, near the rear of the housing.

Old 10-13-2011, 08:55 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1982 31' Airstream 310
Dayton , Tennessee
Thanxs overlander. Maybe I can get this done before we head to N Georgia next week. Pete
Old 10-13-2011, 09:09 PM   #4
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up Tranny Flush

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodja View Post
Thanxs overlander. Maybe I can get this done before we head to N Georgia next week. Pete
woodja,

After you get the internals replaced it's a good idea to get it flush filled.

By flushing the transmission you will get all the old fluid out of the cooler,lines and torque converter. Any good tranny shop can do it.

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 09:58 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
The TH475, which is what you have is the Heavy Duty version of the TH400. The main difference between the 400 and 475 is straight cut sun gears, and apposed to helical cut. These give better torque transfer and are stronger.

If its working ok, I would just change the fluid.
To do this, you have to drop the Transmission pan, and as standard, it does not have a drain plug.
If you are feeling wealthy, replace the stock pan with one like this...
Its deeper, holds 4 quarts more fluid, and has cooling pipes, a drain plug for next time, and a fitting for a temp gauge..
Derale Cooling Products 14202 - Derale Performance Transmission Pans - Overview - SummitRacing.com
Old 10-13-2011, 11:50 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Redwood City , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyair
The TH475, which is what you have is the Heavy Duty version of the TH400. The main difference between the 400 and 475 is straight cut sun gears, and apposed to helical cut. These give better torque transfer and are stronger.

If its working ok, I would just change the fluid.
To do this, you have to drop the Transmission pan, and as standard, it does not have a drain plug.
If you are feeling wealthy, replace the stock pan with one like this...
Its deeper, holds 4 quarts more fluid, and has cooling pipes, a drain plug for next time, and a fitting for a temp gauge..
Derale Cooling Products 14202 - Derale Performance Transmission Pans - Overview - SummitRacing.com
I like that pan! I'm really wondering if these aftermarket pans actually provide any benefit? A few months back I was backing my 20ft ATV trailer up a slight incline with my F150 and blew out the front tranny seal. I was soon to head to Idaho with the truck and trailer so I had the tranny/transfer case removed and the $8 seal replaced. I went to Hartnell Transmissions in Redding CA. They are probably the best tranny shop north of Sacramento. I asked about these aftermarket pans and he stated quite clearly that they do nothing above the original design from the factory. So I didn't spend the $250 for the one I was going to get for the truck.

A side note: I now back up the trailer with the F150 in low range. Can you believe it only cost $300 in Redding to have the tranny/transfer case dropped and the seal replaced. I guarantee this would have been a thousand bucks in the Bay Area!

"We are free to go where we wish and to be what we are"
Richard Bach, Jonathan Livingston Seagall
dadstoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 12:08 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
My GOODNESS I hate the GM pans with no drain...
You need to have the trans fluid warm for a good drain, and then have to undo the pan bolts, so you get a 14" wide fountain of hot fluid down you arm and everywhere else.... and why are catch pans narrower than the trans pan???
Just STUPID.
I want to make the Designer, and Bean Counter change Transmission oil for a month... Then I would drown them in burned ATF for their stupidity..

My trans was rebuilt according to my receipts, and ran perfect on my 1600 mile maiden voyage, but when I do the fluid and filter cahnge, i will replace the pan.

I spent quite some time looking at various pans, and like this one the best. Have a deep Aftermarket Alloy Pans on my Suburban, and Jeep and they looks nice, but the Derale is about 2" deeper than a deep, and has the cooling pipes in it too.

If you shop around, as I have seen them for like under $130 shipped... Jegs, or Summit, or was it Ebay..
Old 10-14-2011, 12:36 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Redwood City , California
I hate the pan on my Ford as well that has no drain plug! Maybe it's a conspiracy by the transmission repair industry . Changing transmission fluid is one of those few things I usually don't do on my own. But, if my pan had a drain plug maybe I would! In any event changing the pan for a drain plug is a bit expensive. The main selling point of these pans besides looking cool if you crawl underneath and take a look or if you are driving a monster truck, is the "extra cooling" benefit. I'm still debating this "benefit". If it really helps I will spend the money. One thing my dad did on the AS280 is he had the transmission service frequently...29 years, 130,000 miles and still running strong!

Some deep pans require an extension on the pickup, do you know if this one does?

I've been wanting to install a tran temp gauge for a while now...like the plug for a temp gauge.

"We are free to go where we wish and to be what we are"
Richard Bach, Jonathan Livingston Seagall
dadstoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 12:41 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, personally I don't like drain plugs on automatic transmissions. I used to rebuild transmissions at a Chevy dealer and it's better to remove the pan, replace the filter, flush the lines, and drain the torque converter. Note, that most of all of the tell tell signs of a trans on it's way out can be seem by what you find in the pan. Some filters can be cleaned and most need to be replaced. My Lincoln has a torque converter drain plug. A co-worker of mine used to drill out and install drain plugs on GM torque converters. On my P-30 Chevy, I used to remove the pan, remove the filter, and start the engine for about 30 seconds to pump the fluid out of my GM torque converter. I don't recommend anyone with out experience trying this. I never have a trans flush done on any of my vehicles; I have my dealer do it the old fashion way. Remove the pan, replace the filter, drain the torque converter, and flush out the cooler lines every 30,000 miles.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 04:59 AM   #10
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

The more filter and volume the better.....

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	towing accessories 007.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	142582   Click image for larger version

Name:	towing accessories 002.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	122.0 KB
ID:	142583  

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

RLC
Old 10-14-2011, 06:42 AM   #11
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
The more filter and volume the better.....

Bob
And the lower temperature.
Old 10-14-2011, 07:27 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1982 31' Airstream 310
Dayton , Tennessee
Great info from everyone. In some earlier posts there was much discussion about changing fluids very frequently, like with every oil change. If that's the case then a new pan with drain plug would be in order. Maybe the filter could be cleaned or changed only every 2nd or 3rd time. I have no problem changing fluids often if it's warranted. And I'm interested in flushing the old fluid out with this first change & if starting it up & running for a few seconds only would accomplish this I would be tempted (while holding my breath).
No one addressed the issue of a longer pickup tube with the new pan but I assume the additional 4 qts would make that unnecessary.
OK, I'm now actually looking forward to rolling around under there & furthering my understanding of this beast!
Old 10-14-2011, 08:24 AM   #13
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodja View Post
Great info from everyone. In some earlier posts there was much discussion about changing fluids very frequently, like with every oil change. If that's the case then a new pan with drain plug would be in order. Maybe the filter could be cleaned or changed only every 2nd or 3rd time. I have no problem changing fluids often if it's warranted. And I'm interested in flushing the old fluid out with this first change & if starting it up & running for a few seconds only would accomplish this I would be tempted (while holding my breath).
No one addressed the issue of a longer pickup tube with the new pan but I assume the additional 4 qts would make that unnecessary.
OK, I'm now actually looking forward to rolling around under there & furthering my understanding of this beast!

woodja,

What I did with the above pictured filter. I serviced (flushed) the tranny at 30k, new internal filter, installed the remote filter.
From then on serviced it every 2 years, I changed the trans fluid by removing the filter return line, remove coil wire and crank engine .
Replaced the remote tranny filter at every TV oil change. Never had the pan off again in 175k, this system worked for me.

Don't see the need to change trans fluid at every LOF.

Bob

RLC

RLC
Old 10-14-2011, 03:01 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1982 31' Airstream 310
Dayton , Tennessee
Bob, I really like that external filter setup & the temp gauge too.
With all the info since last night I decided to talk to my local reputable tranny guy & ended up running it over there & let him do it. Then I played golf.
I guess I didn't lay on my back & learn much but I think it's good to have it flushed & looked at by a pro this time. I'm sure it's been neglected in the past & now I feel much better about it. And I'm not shy about doing it next time.

The PO imlpied that the engine oil/filter had been changed when we bought it in LA. last year but I recently found paper work that told me that although it'd been only 3200 mi since the last oil change, it hadn't been done since 2006. I did it yesterday.

Thanxs for all the helpful input