Old 10-14-2011, 03:44 PM   #15
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
woodja,

Got that years ago for our 95 454 Burb, Tekonsha doesn't offer it anymore, but they are still available. If you don't have a temp gauge it makes a nice up-grade.

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 02:43 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Milton , Florida
Agree with Keyair about the Drain plug. You still remove and check the contents of the pan (and replace the gasket), but draining it first keeps the mess to a minimum. Any aluminum finned pan will help cool the fluid and we all know how much heat collects around that 454 Chevy. I ignored my PO's service memory and changed the oil and serviced the tranny...smart move on your part.

Old 10-20-2011, 08:08 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Milton , Florida
Steve,
Just out of curiosity, what's your read on syn ATF for the next time? I had good luck with Mobil 1 ATF, but never with a tranny this old.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:54 AM   #18
1 Rivet Member

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Waco , Texas
Thank you, Keyair!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyair View Post
The TH475, which is what you have is the Heavy Duty version of the TH400. The main difference between the 400 and 475 is straight cut sun gears, and apposed to helical cut. These give better torque transfer and are stronger.

If its working ok, I would just change the fluid.
To do this, you have to drop the Transmission pan, and as standard, it does not have a drain plug.
If you are feeling wealthy, replace the stock pan with one like this...
Its deeper, holds 4 quarts more fluid, and has cooling pipes, a drain plug for next time, and a fitting for a temp gauge..
Derale Cooling Products 14202 - Derale Performance Transmission Pans - Overview - SummitRacing.com

First of all, I am so thankful for this thread. Ordered the Derale pan, just like Keyair suggested. I've been operating between 220 and 240 degrees consistently. Everyone told me that these things just run hot. I just took it for granted. After dropping the pan as this thread suggested. I replaced all the fluid with Amsoil Torque Drive Synthetic. Man, between the new pan that added considerable more fluid and with the pan's greate great cooling pipes/fins, my driving temperature was consistently only 205. After hours of highway driving I'd rises to 210, and the most I've every seen it was 220 (during intense driving of 70+ mph & Texas summer afternoon with hours on the highway). Needless to say, I was & am ecstatic!!! This solved my problems and I'm so glad I didn't do a flush!!! Not to mention, I'm experiencing so more torque as well!!!

My problem came when the guy who dropped my pan only hand-tightened the drain bolt. I started leaking on the way down to Port Aransas, TX. I had no idea how much fluid I lost, but when I discovered it, it made me sick. I started having thumping problems (transmission governor?) on the way home because it was low. Problem was, the mechanic had told me he had overfilled the tranny some. So I thought, "maybe it's the correct fluid now, it still measures above the mark." I wasn't sure if that was the right thing to do, as I know not to overfill or underfill the tranny. But I differed to him because the new pan has so much more capacity. Turns out the dipstick fluid indicator does not work correctly with the new pan. You DO need to overfill beyond what it indicates. This is very difficult because you don't want to overfill the tranny. I just had to keep filling until it stopped the thumping (I guess & hope some kind of governor that protects me from putting to much stress on an underfilled tranny, seemed to effect my accelerator somehow or limit my rpms). All of this was very stressful and hope this reply helps someone in the future know what to do. I can tell you it's all been worth it. Obviously I wished the mechanic had properly wrench tightened the drain bolt. I'm just so glad it runs at 205 normally instead of 220. Makes a huge difference in driving. Honestly, I wonder if this is how it felt like when it was new!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130718_072221_466.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	192005  
Old 07-29-2013, 03:46 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
That's interesting indeed and that pan looks GREAT!

You only have to look at the P30 Chassis manual to know that keeping the fluid cooled is critical... and cools mean the fluid is a little thicker I think so should slip less in the TC.

I picked up this little setup on Ebay for a bargain price and will add this to the deep pan to keep it ALL cool!

Old 07-29-2013, 09:12 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

1991 35' Airstream 350
Laurel , Maryland
I bought that same pan for my 91 350 LE and it would not fit my tranny. It just would not seal tight at the front left side. I tried two other turbo 400 pans I had that had drain plugs and they would not fit either. Fouled at the same corner. It seems that the difference between the 400 and the 475 is more than how they cut the gears.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:38 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Was it fouling on the TC cover because I heard that the HD transmissions had a thicker one that bolted in rather than used sheet metal screws...
Old 07-29-2013, 09:53 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1991 35' Airstream 350
Laurel , Maryland
I really never could figure what it was hitting on. It would get very close and then would not mate up with the flange and I could not get my head up high enough to see. summit allowed me to return it. I wish I could have figured out how to get it on because it was a nice pan. I think I will just install a separate cooler with a external filter as soon as I decide which one to buy and where I should mount it.