Old 07-08-2010, 06:45 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
Lewiston , Maine
Question Tow hitch for car

Hi all,

Within two months I am going to need a tow hitch for my car. I find it weights 3600 pounds unladen. I have read that the 345 is only rated for 2000.

I'm in a remote area. Suggestions on how to go about this project? Order the hitch and have it delivered and find a mechanic to install it? Go to a mechanic and have him or her decide what to do?

Any recommendation on hitches?

Can I get by without reinforcing the back to tow the vehicle?

All info appreciated. I looked at the hitch forum but it was mostly for trailers.

Thanks!

Old 07-08-2010, 06:48 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
Everyone I know who has towed a "toad" for very long seems to have gravitated to Blue Ox - but I know nothing about them other than having watched a lot of folks hitch up with them.

Old 07-08-2010, 06:52 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, we call it a hitch, but it is really a receiver; Many of the motorhome owners have had the receiver reinforced to do what you are talking about. I'm sure someone with a motorhome will chime in soon.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 07:52 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Exceeding Established Safety Parameters - Idiot Savant - or just an Idiot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
.....Many of the motorhome owners have had the receiver reinforced to do what you are talking about. I'm sure someone with a motorhome will chime in soon.
Just WHO IN THE WORLD ran all of the engineering data to surmise that just simply "reinforcing" the hitch would magically increase the towing capacity of the Classic Airstream MH by 50 to 100%??????

Consider the HUGE distance between the drive axle to the rear of the MoHo.

Consider the fact that many of these chassis have been toting around up to 16,500 lbs for 30 or more years.

Consider the fact that the brake system is basically a twin of a one ton truck.

Consider that the three speed TH475 transmission has a hard time motivating the 345 empty.

Anyone considering to "improve" the rating just as well might get a BP engineer to run the numbers - and then defend him/herself in court

Hey, gang, I've got an idea - lets tow a Circus Wagon and put on a show!!!!

Then again, if you think you are "safe" towing 3000 lbs behind a 345, then you might as well modify a Kia to tow your 34' slide out after you wipe out the MoHo.

My opinion only - do what you want - please post your itenerary here so I can avoid the road the same time you plan to be on it.

BTW - I would assume anyone seriously contemplating towing 3000 lbs behind a 345 actually voted a Democratic ticket during the most recent presidential election.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 10:18 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
Lewiston , Maine
Dennis... having a bad day

or just usually that sarcastic?

We come here for opinions and advice about our motorhomes, not critiques of our intellectual capacity or political affiliations.

There are other ways to express your opinion besides being demeaning to everyone else.

Obviously some people do tow a car. So maybe it has to be a different car or a motorcycle or something. But obviously this is a question of concern as not all of us travel in twos and can have someone drive the car.

So can we maybe get back to the topic? This is a real issue for me and I need to find the best solution.

If I parse your message all I have learned is that the most I should tow is 2000 pounds.
Old 07-09-2010, 11:50 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1960 28' Ambassador
Colorado Springs , Colorado
I agree with gowiththeflo! Not everyone on this site has been doing this stuff for years. We just want advice and opinions. I have only been on this site for about two weeks now and this is the second time I have incountered this type of behavior. Not a good thing to attract new people.
Old 07-09-2010, 12:33 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by gowiththeflo View Post
...if I parse your message all I have learned is that the most I should tow is 2000 pounds.
If you have learned that the most your 345 is qualified to tow is 2000 lbs then my message has been effective.

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Old 07-09-2010, 01:12 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisabill View Post
... Not everyone on this site has been doing this stuff for years. We just want advice and opinions.
The BEST part of the Forums is the archives - with just a little bit of effort, and a smidge of creative thinking about how to ask the question within the search engine, you will find a myriad of threads debating almost any question one could think of....the people who have "been there and done that" will respond much more quickly (and with civility) to those who demonstrate that they have already done their homework.

Working on an Airstream, regardless of the age or type, requires certain ability with a certain amount of tools, a basic knowledge of how to use the tools for various repairs, and the willingness to accomplish a secure job in a safe and timely manner. After the first three requirements are met, the fourth and most important ingredient of AS repair/refurbishment must be carefully evaluated - common sense. If any one of these four items, ability, knowledge, willingness, and common sense, are lacking the "older" members of this Forum would be remiss to mislead an unqualified or unprepared "younger" member to proceed with a repair.

Most repair shops of any caliber charge around 100 dollars per hour. The learning curve to self teach any of the above listed requirements of repair/refurbishment is steep...it's best to purchase a unit that is ready to use for the intended purpose rather than purchase an "all I can afford right now" unit with the grandoise idea that it will be a breeze to repair.

Advice on the Forums is free - and usually that is what it is worth - even less as far as liability goes...opinions are as numerous as members of this Forum - young and old, experienced and inexperienced - unfortunately, without a strong backround in general house building trades and vehicle repair it is difficult for any "newbie" to translate advice and opinion to workable facts.

One thing that is easier for a Newbie to discern after reading several threads on a specific subject is just who is reliable to give an honest and realistic reply, and which of the other members generally pump smoke. I hope all who read this understands the difference.

Intellectual capacity is one thing, the ability to tranlate the intellectual understanding to hands on creativity and functionality is something else entirely.

By the time any newbie reads a half dozen or so threads on a particular subject - and understands the replies - it becomes apparent just who is giving good advice and who isn't.

Sometimes you get a harsh reply? - absolutely - at times harshness is required to emphasize the inadvisability of a proposed process. The more absurd and dangerous the question the harsher the answer - double and in spades when you start talking about a Motor Home instead of a trailer.

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Old 07-09-2010, 04:20 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Speedway , Indiana
Streamers,
I have had our hitch beefed-up a number of years ago. This was done by a professional shop in Elkhart, Indiana. For a number of years now we have towed a 7000# race trailer behind our 345 with no ill effects. Unless you are in very hilly terain, the 345 does not even know it's there. We added a second brake control to operate the trailer's electric brakes. It costs me one mile per gallon on fuel flow. The following link takes you to the original post. If it does not work, just do a search on my name to get the info.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f311...ing-25348.html
When we are not racing, we tow a 1976 Porsche 912E behind the 345. We use the NightShift tow bar. This unit has a surge brake actuator built into the bar. It in turn operates the 912E's brakes in proportion to the rate you are slowing.
The 345 does a great job!
Rob
Old 07-09-2010, 04:32 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Speedway , Indiana
Oh, and by the way I'm a Republican!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-09-2010, 06:21 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
Intelligence is not always proportional to the application of misguided logic...
We had a reinforced tow bar system installed for a max capacity of 10K...some would suggest that this was a useless installment, but they are not paying my freight. I would rather have the capability to tow on an already belabored 345 than the ability to recognize a separated toad through my rear-view camera...I am comfortable with my decision, and it cost me about $500 to have the installation. The tow system on the toad was about $800, and it is a Roadmaster...having watched the front tires of a previous toad go flaming onto their respective interstate medians, I'm a bit involved in safety measures. I tow a '95 Nissan Maxima, and will NOT haul it over severe grades. My toad of choice was a '96 Geo Tracker(4WD, Auto), and it served us well until I ran it into a Honda CRX...my bad, but our loss...I know a fellow that(Ted, forgive me if I get it wrong, again) tows a Cadillac behind his 345, and apparently still gets good mileage...I know another fellow that tows a 10' utility trailer behind his 310(supplied with solar and several batteries) without problems. There are cautions to be recognized, but there are pleasures to be enjoyed. I'm sure that risks are involved in all ventures, but failing to enjoy your motorhome because of a random warning is a venture not worthy of serious consideration...it's there, you're there...drive it till it quits, then fix it!!! Hey, RETIRE EARLY, ENJOY YOUR LIFE BEFORE YOU CAN'T, AND TELL EVERYONE YOU CAN HOW MUCH FUN IT IS...m
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 06:32 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
Dennis,
I don't pretend to have been there and done that...I have been a few places, and done a few things...I have(or my wife has) done a bit of homework...Barthmobile is a good source for P-30 chassis info...try them...I don't pretend to be an expert on info, but I WILL pass on what I have found or am informed about...a purpose of the forums is to do this, NOT shoot. I have found your posts to be quite helpful in the past, and look forward to your future infos. I hope this finds you healthy and happy...mike
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 06:46 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
Lewiston , Maine
Thanks to all who have helped

Believe it or not, I do do my research. That's how I knew that maybe I needed a solution that was not out of the box. Newbies in every forum are going to pose questions that might seem tiring to older members. In which case, I usually think it is time for me to retire and find someplace where things are still fresh to me.

And Dennis... civility is a value we all share in this country, or at least we all did once. It is not based on IQ, nor occupation, nor bank accounts, nor political affiliation. .It is what once made this country great IMHO. We could have a civil debate without insulting each other.

And I betcha my Dad was a Republican before you were born,
Old 07-09-2010, 07:06 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
gowiffdaflow
Just keep in mind, my simple saying. THE ONLY STUPID QUESTIONS are the ONES YOU DON'T ASK.
Ya might give some thought to a smaller toad.
If you get the Airstream you are looking at HAVE FUN, ENJOY, LIFE IS SHORT

7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote