Old 02-17-2007, 09:16 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

toggle switch in glove box

i have an 85 345 and there is a black toggle switch with what looks like a windshield outline on it. Any ideas what this is?

Old 02-17-2007, 09:29 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1990 25' Airstream 250
Altoona , Georgia
Your 345 has two battery systems - one for engine starting and one for the RV loads. If the engine battery is run down, that switch allows you to connect the RV batteries to the engine start system.

Old 02-18-2007, 09:04 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

David
The toggle switch does not stay(on). you can push it forward and it will return to (off). is this still a battery connect switch? i had an earlier AS mh (28')and there was a battery boost switch on the dash.

There is also a quick connect in my rear exterior storage compartment(passenger side with door that folds up). What is that?
Old 02-18-2007, 09:35 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1990 25' Airstream 250
Altoona , Georgia
Yes. The switch is spring loaded so you must hold it until the engine starts. The switch energizes a solenoid that connects the coach batteries to the engine system. After the engine starts, the alternator charges both systems. The switch should only be used in an emergency.

The disconnect switch is to disconnect the battery during long time storage to prevent sneak circuits from discharging the battery over time.
Old 02-19-2007, 09:40 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

quick connect

David
The quick connect is like the one you would use to hook up a compressor. Would that have been an accessory to inflate tires etc that works off of the rear bag compressor?
Old 02-19-2007, 09:48 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1990 25' Airstream 250
Altoona , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmarch
David
The quick connect is like the one you would use to hook up a compressor. Would that have been an accessory to inflate tires etc that works off of the rear bag compressor?
Got me - Maybe we are talking different switches. The disconnect switch I'm talking about is in the battery compartment on the drivers side of my 250
Old 02-20-2007, 06:47 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
....give the man a cigar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmarch
David
That's exactly what it is - a light weight coiled air hose from one of the "cheapie" tool houses will allow you to air up your tires at your convenience instead of fighting with a heavy air hose on a hot concrete pad at a fueling station. Make sure it is long enough (might have to quick connect two together) to check and air up the front air bags.

If you have to replace the front air bags do a search on "air bags" here in the Forums - several of us have done it by varying methods....not hard to do, and you always have the option of going to a vendor and have it done....either way, be sure to run the fill valve extension hoses to the front of the MoHo where they are easy to get to so you do not have to crawl under the front end whenever you want to check the pressure.

Be sure to check the inside dualies when you do air the tires - they are a bugger to get to, but if one goes flat it will surely throw the tread and most likely crater the outside tire in the process.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 08:20 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1990 25' Airstream 250
Altoona , Georgia
Got it - the quick link is an air connector hooked to the discharge of the air compressor. I think this just came with tag axles - my 250 does not have one.