Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-12-2005, 02:37 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Toad w/ electronic odo?

O.K. I've got the bug...er not yet anyway. But I've been lusting for a car now for some time. Driving an AS as an every day driver will do that to you. I'm looking at the VW Turbo S New Beetle as a possible toad/runabout sports car.
My question to you who know... with an electronic odometer and all four on the ground does the odo clock the towed mileage or not?
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 03:38 PM   #2
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Glen,
I don't know about the "new" Beetle's. You might check with VW. I know on my "classic" Beetle, I just open the hood and unscrew the cable from the back of the speedo. Very low tech.

S
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 03:43 PM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Glenn, as far as I know, they only register miles when the key is on.
If you need to leave the key in the unlocked position so the front wheels will turn when going around corners, you may have to pull the "gauge" fuse to keep it from registering. The owner's manual of the Beetle should provide this information.
Old 10-12-2005, 04:41 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
Vehicle Speed Sensor

Checked this before I left work. Just pulled up the wiring diagram for that engine. The speed sensor (located above the differential) is a Hall effect sensor and is indeed only powered up when the ignition is on.
I don't want to dampen your enthusiasm for an "S", but, attaching a tow bar to the so called bumper hidden undernieth the front cover could be a major undertaking.
Tom.

Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 06:33 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Tom, thanks for the insight into the speed sensor.

Anyone out there pulling a new beetle? How'd you rig your tow bar? It's all new with the "new beetle" as the old ones where quite simple to tow. Surely someone is pulling a new bug!

The Turbo S is really quite a little pocket rocket!
Six speed / 240 hp...weeeeeee!
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Old 10-13-2005, 06:15 AM   #6
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Glen, if using a flat-four to tow a beetle is too much of an undertaking, you can always use a dolly. They're not that much of a hassle, and you can tow whatever you want with one (well... MOST cars anyway...)

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 07:31 AM   #7
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Price is reasonable, too

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85MH325
Glen, if using a flat-four to tow a beetle is too much of an undertaking, you can always use a dolly. They're not that much of a hassle, and you can tow whatever you want with one (well... MOST cars anyway...)

Roger
They go regularly for a tad under $600, brand-new. The really good ones are a couple of hundred dollars more. Just be careful backing up with one.
Old 10-13-2005, 08:13 AM   #8
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
I think a member here is towing a New Beetle. I'll send you a PM.
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 07:54 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
My car quest may have come to an end already... I've been keeping an eye on a couple of Alfa offerings and have found a silver (like any other color would do!) Quadrafoglio. It's way too nice to tow without a big nose guard type dolly, but it takes me back to my last very enjoyable project. I'll let you all know what the outcome is once the dust settles.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Old 10-19-2005, 06:09 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1995 36' Classic 36
Ottawa , Ontario
I am towing a new Beetle with our 345. We've logged about 5000 miles with this setup since last spring.

The odometer does not log miles when flat towed with ignition off.

The installation of the base plate for the tow bar was one of the most unpleasant tasks I have tackled in quite some time. Basically the entire nose section of the car needs to be removed and some very long arms, but small hands, are almost essential to reinstall everything. Two dealers refused to even quote the job, so I did it myself (I am a mech engineer and restore cars as a hobby) The Blue Ox site used to rate the Beetle Base plate installation as a 5+ on a scale of 1 to 5 and I would concur.

In spite of above, we love the setup and the look of the silver Beetle behind the airstream. It also tows very well. Our basic New Beetle model is below 3000 lbs, meaning many states and provinces do not require the car to be equipped with Brake buddy or similar (although this is cetainly still recommended for best braking of the entire rig).
shadejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 07:15 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Shadejo, so does the ignition in the off position allow you to free up the steering wheel? I thought that the ignition might have to be on to unlock. What's the config. you use for all four on the ground?
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Old 10-19-2005, 10:17 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1995 36' Classic 36
Ottawa , Ontario
You must turn ignition on to unlock the steering wheel, I then turn it back part way until the engine lights etc go out. Steering wheel remains unlocked but electrics are off. Also should have mentioned, ours is a standard transmission towed in neutral, I don't think VW recommends flat towing of an automatic for the usual reasons (transmission lubrication)

Note that I modified the rear tailights on the New Beetle, by carefully die grinding an additional lighting hole into the bottom of each rear light assembly. These are wired on a totally separate wiring harness which connects to the motorhome to allow rear taillights, brakes and turn signals. There is absolutely NO connection between the motorohome and VW's electrics as we have found the VW very sensitive electrically and didn't want to run into any more "CHECK ENGINE" lights (we had several last year before we were towing that were all electrical glitches....)
Old 10-19-2005, 10:21 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1995 36' Classic 36
Ottawa , Ontario
Almost forgot, here is a link to an earlier post with a picture of our rig...

John

http://www.airforums.com/forum...040#post166040
Old 11-15-2007, 12:18 PM   #14
Streamline Imperial

Currently Looking...
Bellflower , California
Don't disconnect the speed sensor! You will set a check engine light, and the transmission may not work correctly again until it is reset with a scan tool! Odometers are designed to not be easy to drive around disconnected, to prevent unscrupulous dealers from "borrowing" new cars for a few thousand miles, then selling them as "new" with <100 miles on the clock. Just leave the ignition off. If you are on a dolly, the speedo may not register, but the ABS system will log trouble codes if the ignition is on and it sees the back wheels only spinning.

Also, while I don't work on them, I understand the front clip (fenders and front) have to come off for certain routine repairs on the new beetles. Make sure you account for this on your towbar installation, otherwise you ain't seen nothing as far as mechanics refusing to work on it!

1971 Streamline Imperial project "Silver Snausage", 1985 Coleman tent trailer, 1964 Little Dipper, 1975 Northwest "Proto Toyhauler", 2004 Harbor Freight folding, still seeking my Airstream.
SilvrSausage is offline   Reply With Quote