Old 04-16-2010, 12:25 AM   #15
Kmpro

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Lubbock , Texas
Cool Time to replace our A/C units on yhr 310

Brad, I had 15K Heat Pump units on my pusher, and we used the heat pumps for heat until the temp went to about 36 degrees. After that, it was furnace for heat. The A/C was great going down the road, and we seldom had to use the dash air as a result. Gen used less fuel than dash air so it was good for us. I think 15K up front is the ticket to stay cool.
Mike

Old 04-16-2010, 01:16 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
I replaced the original unit on our 28' with a Carrier 15K low profile. I wanted a heat pump but it wasn't available in the low profle. The low pro looks so much better sitting on the roof I'm glad I passed on the heat pump. My furnace works great and I don't have to be plugged in.

The install was easy. I basically trimed the edge of the old plastic pan and set the Carrier right on top. I did have to make a wood shim to mount the inside cover to the ceiling curve. There is a thread on the forum somewhere with pics of the install but I don't remember who posted it.

Good luck, Dan

Old 04-16-2010, 09:45 AM   #17
Rivet Master

Las Vegas , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post

One question I forgot to ask initially was whether these units are designed to fit the inside curvature of the Airstream ceiling. Any comments?

Thanks,

Brad
Brad- Hope the races went well for you guys.

Here's a couple pics of the interior fit. The pic on top is the Carrier, located on front of MH, while the Coleman w/heat strips is bottom in pic located on rear of MH.

The Carrier pic here really doesn't do it much justice as that visible gap at ceiling really isn't as drastic as it appears here although the Coleman is a better fit, inside.

To be honest neither unit has given us any problems ( other than we had to change the 'squirrel' cage once on the Carrier) that involved having to go up on roof so I can't honestly tell you about drain tubes/drip pans. I do know when were in high humid areas all of the condensation exits outside as we never found anything wet inside.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Carrier & Coleman interior pics.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	323.3 KB
ID:	100406  
Old 04-24-2010, 06:54 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1982 31' Airstream310
Alpharetta , Georgia
I recently replaced both units with 15000 BTU standard profile Carriers with heat strips. These are generally available at pretty good pices through the online sources (eBay,etc).

I was fortunate to pick up a new pair for a very good price, then sold my one working old unit to recoup some money and ended up only spending $650 net for both units.

No issue with running them both on my 6500 Onan or one of them on 30 Amp shore power.

Paul
Old 04-24-2010, 07:54 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Brad,

I just saw this thread. I think you would be great going off with the Carrier low profile units like you helped me install on my unit in Branson. Get them in the next couple of weeks and I'll help you install them at the rally

Steve
Old 04-25-2010, 07:18 AM   #20
Gunter

2000 35' Land Yacht XL w/2 slides
Greenville , Ohio
I was in the same position you are in, my rear air conditioner would work intermittently. I was at the point of replacing both having phoned Airstream, Jackson Center for a quote and obtaining advise on this forum. I decided to have a local home airconditoner repairman look at it and he found that my original Coleman air conditioners already the fittings for adding freon, I did not need additional freon. What he found was one of the capacitors was weak, low reading. He replaced it and everything worked fine after that. This saved me a lot of work and money.
Old 04-27-2010, 06:22 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwhittle View Post
I recently replaced both units with 15000 BTU standard profile Carriers with heat strips. These are generally available at pretty good pices through the online sources (eBay,etc).

I was fortunate to pick up a new pair for a very good price, then sold my one working old unit to recoup some money and ended up only spending $650 net for both units.

No issue with running them both on my 6500 Onan or one of them on 30 Amp shore power.

Paul
Paul,

Carriers are at the top of the list. I will probably have to hold off on getting new units for a month or two. Having to replace the water heater put a dent in the budget for A/C units. I'm guessing by the middle of summer the urge to replace them will be a little stronger!

Good to know you can run both on your Onan. I still thinking 13k in the rear and 15k in the front.

Brad
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 06:23 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldiermedic View Post
Brad,

I just saw this thread. I think you would be great going off with the Carrier low profile units like you helped me install on my unit in Branson. Get them in the next couple of weeks and I'll help you install them at the rally

Steve
Steve,

See post above, funding is likely not going to happen for a while. However if you want to loan us your low profile unit for the time being we could do the swap at teh rally......

Brad
Old 04-27-2010, 06:25 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunner View Post
I was in the same position you are in, my rear air conditioner would work intermittently. I was at the point of replacing both having phoned Airstream, Jackson Center for a quote and obtaining advise on this forum. I decided to have a local home airconditoner repairman look at it and he found that my original Coleman air conditioners already the fittings for adding freon, I did not need additional freon. What he found was one of the capacitors was weak, low reading. He replaced it and everything worked fine after that. This saved me a lot of work and money.
Gunner,

You may have hit on something. Our front unit has a hard time starting but once running does just fine. I think I'll climb up on the roof (when it finally stops raining that is) and check out the capacitors on both of the units. If we can squeeze a little more longevity out of these it sure would be nice!

Thanks for the tip.

Brad
Old 04-27-2010, 07:55 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1984 31' Airstream310
College Station , Texas
That's ditto for me too! Gunner

I just checked mine and I also have a fitting in place. I am sure I need the caps because the unit cuts in and out. When it is engaged it will freeze you outta there!

PD
Old 04-29-2010, 04:12 PM   #25
Kmpro

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Lubbock , Texas
Thumbs up Time to replace our A/C units on yhr 310

Now that I'm home I can get on the roof and check capacitors too. Aah, it's nice to have tools.
Mike
Old 04-29-2010, 06:11 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

1984 31' Airstream310
College Station , Texas
Turns out there were three different caps. I changed all three on both units with all three part boxes being labeled motor start capacitors. I have no clue how they work. I also changed the thermostat switch inside. A/C's are cooling down to 48 deg. Both will run off 7kw kohl gen. I am so pleased I am about to cry.

PD
Old 04-30-2010, 10:58 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdallas View Post
Turns out there were three different caps. I changed all three on both units with all three part boxes being labeled motor start capacitors. I have no clue how they work. I also changed the thermostat switch inside. A/C's are cooling down to 48 deg. Both will run off 7kw kohl gen. I am so pleased I am about to cry.

PD
Which A/C units does your 310 have? If they are Coleman Mach units would you happen to remember the size of the capacitors?

Still haven't found time to climb on the roof to pull the covers on the A/C units.

Thanks!

Brad
Old 04-30-2010, 07:23 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

1984 31' Airstream310
College Station , Texas
I have a 1984 310 It is equipped with two matching coleman units model #'s 6759a707

Start caps : Mallory 88-108mfd 250 vac

Mallory 25 uf 370 vac

aerovox 7.5 uf 370 vac

Used generic replacement parts

Hope this helps