Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2011, 09:42 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyair View Post
Stunner!
Congratulations!
How many times have you walked out there, looked and grinned so far?
I am STILL doing it with mine!
Love the paint scheme too, so makes not sense to strip it.
Like a house... you end up with a list of stuff that needs fixing, and then a list of areas you want to mod or improve!

You also were worried about someone stealing your gas... I was too...
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f311...cap-65511.html
Key,
Each and every time I just look at this beauty, I just stand there and grin ear-to-ear, lol. Can't get that stupid grin off of my face. Nothing is holding me back. PO spoke of brakes all being completely overhauled, but thinking I may need to pull some wheels and have a look for myself. Brake Pedal sure went a LONG way to stop this thing. Yes, I realize, I'm driving a 15,000lb beast, but would think I wouldn't have so much pedal travel. Maybe I'm wrong. Will visit the link next concerning locking gas cap. Thanks, Derek
crazeevw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 09:49 AM   #22
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Nice looking coach, congrats!
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 09:51 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Yup, I know how you are feeling!
Yes, check those brakes, and bleeding will help!
PM me your email if you need a Chassis Manual.. very usefull to have if you dont have one...
Old 08-31-2011, 10:07 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

1983 30' Airstream 300
Plantersville , Texas
When do we get to see pictures of the inside. This may be a big beast but it doesnt bend in the middle. I can drive it forward and also back it. Backing a trailer was never a task I could master. At 75 I still travel in my 30 ft MH and still have the silly grin on my face as well. will be going to Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta this year. best advice I got from someone in this forum about city driving was (when you turn on your turn signal to change lanes you are not asking permission. you are stating a fact.)

good Luck and happy trails

Kay
carnegie1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 10:46 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
In my Airstream, I tend to be a little carefull changing lanes, as I am unsure if they saw my blinker... and tend to be forgiving. I dont want to damage that skin...
But in my '73 Pickup, I put the blinker on and give the pushy people here in LA a chance to back off from shutting the door on me, then I just "Lean" on them... Never had anyone argue with me, or give me anything other much more than a wide berth! Had one kid who thought he had a "Tude" pull along side and glare... I am 6'4", and 235lb, and my aftermarket seat is sitting tall, so I look 6'8"... I stared back and gave him the "Yeah? ... You got a problem" ... Upward nod... he took off fast!
Old 08-31-2011, 11:02 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

1991 35' Airstream 350
Laurel , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazeevw View Post
Key,
Each and every time I just look at this beauty, I just stand there and grin ear-to-ear, lol. Can't get that stupid grin off of my face. Nothing is holding me back. PO spoke of brakes all being completely overhauled, but thinking I may need to pull some wheels and have a look for myself. Brake Pedal sure went a LONG way to stop this thing. Yes, I realize, I'm driving a 15,000lb beast, but would think I wouldn't have so much pedal travel. Maybe I'm wrong. Will visit the link next concerning locking gas cap. Thanks, Derek
The brake pedal travel was one of the first things I noticed when I first drove my Airstream. I replaced all the brakes even the tag electric brakes. That brake pedal travel is just normal for these things. I am now used to it and it seems normal now. P.S. I really like your Airstream color scheme. Steve G
t7389sg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 12:34 PM   #27
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Changing lanes can be a challenge with any large vehicle including one with a trailer. Most people let me in, some don't. The "don'ts" either don't care, are in a big hurry, or don't look. Most of the time, changing lanes is a preference, but when that exit is on the left side, it can be dicey. I have always made it (learning to drive in NYC is a definite help), but sometime someone will make it impossible.

When I know I'm going through a large city, I try to check maps thoroughly for what is ahead the night before and be ready for left exits, strange ramps and such.

On wide highways—3 or more lanes—I stay away from the right lane. That's where the most accidents happen because of entrances and exits and sometimes the lane ends with little warning and you may find yourself in an exit lane with traffic slowing while the next lane is whizzing by.

Having driven a large vehicle many years ago I found night driving to be much harder. Visibility can be poor and mastery of the mirrors is even more important, but sometimes you just can't tell if there is anyone alongside.

The brake pedal would worry me too. Is the master cylinder reservoir to the full line? Bleeding would be a good thing to do to check if it was done right—it is easy to not do a thorough job bleeding brakes. Is it a Chevy? I inherited an '85 Toronado years ago and the master cylinder was undersized for the car and had to be replaced periodically because it wore out fast. It is possible GM did that on other vehicles. In my opinion, a vehicle of that size should have air brakes, but apparently it doesn't.

And, it sure looks pretty and I can see how you are smiling so much.

Gerne
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 05:09 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
Work on the safety things first--tires, brakes, etc- the rest is do as you go! WOW, looks great, take you're time, enjoy the experience. jim
Hi Jim, was 'told' that $3000.00 worth of brake work was performed in the last 2 years. But, brake pedal sure has a LOT of travel in it. Will be the first of many things to get looked at before any trips. I keep smelling gasoline when I get to the motohome, so will be checking for leaks, possibly new gas lines from tank to engine, as well as new fuel pumps. Thanks, Derek
Old 08-31-2011, 05:15 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Changing lanes can be a challenge with any large vehicle including one with a trailer. Most people let me in, some don't. The "don'ts" either don't care, are in a big hurry, or don't look. Most of the time, changing lanes is a preference, but when that exit is on the left side, it can be dicey. I have always made it (learning to drive in NYC is a definite help), but sometime someone will make it impossible.

When I know I'm going through a large city, I try to check maps thoroughly for what is ahead the night before and be ready for left exits, strange ramps and such.

On wide highways—3 or more lanes—I stay away from the right lane. That's where the most accidents happen because of entrances and exits and sometimes the lane ends with little warning and you may find yourself in an exit lane with traffic slowing while the next lane is whizzing by.

Having driven a large vehicle many years ago I found night driving to be much harder. Visibility can be poor and mastery of the mirrors is even more important, but sometimes you just can't tell if there is anyone alongside.

The brake pedal would worry me too. Is the master cylinder reservoir to the full line? Bleeding would be a good thing to do to check if it was done right—it is easy to not do a thorough job bleeding brakes. Is it a Chevy? I inherited an '85 Toronado years ago and the master cylinder was undersized for the car and had to be replaced periodically because it wore out fast. It is possible GM did that on other vehicles. In my opinion, a vehicle of that size should have air brakes, but apparently it doesn't.

And, it sure looks pretty and I can see how you are smiling so much.

Gerne
Gene, have towed more campers than I care to admit to, albeit, none were of this length. Still, I do know what you're speaking of when it comes to other drivers and if they will be courteous or not.

Was told the brake work included new rotors, new pads, new drums, new shoes, as well as complete replacement of all components on tag axle, including a new brake controller on the dash. Oh, and new master cylinder as well. First thing I'll check is to see if there's enough brake fluid, but others speak that the brake pedal travel is normal. Want to check out everything and then I'll be more comfortable when I take it out on the road.

Smiling so much as this is a dream of mine for many, many years now. Still grin ear-to-ear when I walk outside and see it!

Thanks, Derek
Old 08-31-2011, 05:17 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyair View Post
Yup, I know how you are feeling!
Yes, check those brakes, and bleeding will help!
PM me your email if you need a Chassis Manual.. very usefull to have if you dont have one...
Key,
Had manual before I bought the Airstream, lol. Of course it's for a 28 footer, but most things still apply. Anything you have on the tag axle would be a great help. PM to follow.

Thanks, Derek