Old 12-02-2014, 05:06 PM   #71
"Alumi-holic"

1982 31' Airstream 310
Memphis , Tennessee
It's been a while...

Wow, hard to believe it's been over a year since my last post here!

DW and I have enjoyed using Penny this last year. We've been to Land-between-the-Lakes, Nashville, did the Kentucky Bourbon Trail, Thibodaux Louisiana, Trace State Park near Tupalo MS (lost our awning due to rain downpour bending the aluminum tube) Halloween at Village Creek State Park near Wynne AR (3rd year in a row) and spent 5 weeks Boondocking behind our house in Midtown Memphis (renovating a 116 year old home) in preparation for sale. Nice to know DW and I can enjoy our small quarters together for more than a 3 day weekend!

Son and family moved to a small town in Georgia (north of Jacksonville FL), prompting the midtown home renovation.

I am amazed at how well Penny is holding up. Have made small repairs along the way as well.

Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

Old 12-02-2014, 06:21 PM   #72
Rivet Master

1991 35' Airstream 350
Carriere , Mississippi
Send a message via Skype™ to wxbuoy
Glad to hear all is well (except for your awning )!

Old 12-02-2014, 09:02 PM   #73
"Alumi-holic"

1982 31' Airstream 310
Memphis , Tennessee
Thanks, Dave!

I hope you quest to restore your Airstream is going well. Btw, I like the blue Supersteer components on your coach!

Daniel

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 12-03-2014, 05:03 AM   #74
Rivet Master

1991 35' Airstream 350
Carriere , Mississippi
Thanks Daniel! It is still on track; year 2 of a 5 year project. The new steering parts made a huge difference in driving and reducing drivers fatigue!

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 05-31-2015, 05:14 PM   #75
"Alumi-holic"

1982 31' Airstream 310
Memphis , Tennessee
Memorial Day weekend found us camping at Tishomingo State Park with our good friends Patty and Dudley.
Great to be out! Our last trip was October 2014.

The trip down was uneventful and Penny ran beautifully. Wanted to test the new roof air so we fired up the generator and headed south. We stopped at the Wal Mart in Corinth, MS to pickup some last minute supplies. Left the generator and AC running. When we returned, you could "hang meat" in the coach.

The campground was sold out for the weekend. We arrived a little after 5, the check-in station was closed. As we paid in advance, we disconnected our toad Buoy at the check-in station and proceeded to our campsite. The single road was for traffic in both directions, a little tight. We made the short trip to the campsite and quickly setup. Our site had a view of the small lake and we were camped next to Patty & Dudley.

We walked around the campground and made plans to hike several of the trails.

Enjoyed a late dinner with our friends and called it a night.

Enjoyed the best nights sleep in many months!
Awoke early and enjoyed a Bloody Mary with my best friend Dudley. He prepared my favorite "Big Breakfast".
After the meal, Patty & the DW went for a hike.

We followed the same pattern throughout Saturday & Sunday.

On Sunday evening the skies opened and it proceeded to rain "cats & dogs" throughout the evening. It's easy to fall asleep to the rain drumming on your Airstream's roof!

Monday morning the storm continued to rage. About 10 we decided to call it a day and head home. We broke camp in the rain, we were all drenched. After a quick trip to the dump station, Dudley and I pointed our coaches home!

Arrived home about 1:30, loved the trip despite the rain and can't wait to get back on the road again.
Old 05-31-2015, 05:26 PM   #76
"Alumi-holic"

1982 31' Airstream 310
Memphis , Tennessee
After Action Report...

Even though a "good time was had by all"...identified a few items to be fixed before our next trip.

Noticed a dripping leak at the dump valve. The valve was sealing correctly, traced the water coming down from the top of the black tank, not a pleasant possibility. I went back inside and proceeded to feel all around the toilet. Noticed standing water where the toilet bolted to the top of the tank.

Pulled the vinyl trim from around the toilet to begin the removal process. Found the two 1/2 nuts to remove the toilet. The first one by the pedal in the front of the bowl was easy to remove. The rear nut was a little more problematic. So, I removed the little disk under the seat to provide a view of the nut. With a small wrench, worked my left hand around back and slowly loosened the nut an 1/8 turn at a time. Took several minutes to remove the nut. Pulled the toiled, and proceeded to check out the connections.

I could not find an obvious leak, so I decided to replace the lines, cutoff valve and toilet connection to be sure. A trip to Home Deport to procure the needed Sharkbite Fittings, Pex Lines and Crimp tool. Had never worked with PEX before, but I am hooked!

Took about 15 minutes to decide how I would layout the pieces and cut the PEX to size. When I was ready, it took 5 minutes to hookup everything from the back wall to the toilet.

Tomorrow I will pickup a new Thetford Toilet Gasket and complete the install.

Cheers!
Old 05-31-2015, 05:31 PM   #77
"Alumi-holic"

1982 31' Airstream 310
Memphis , Tennessee
Next Item on my to do list...

DW mentioned she felt heat coming from the vent at her feet. Checked the Defrost/Heater cables and they were in the "off" position. So, removed the original Radio/Cassette Player Trim from the doghouse and proceeded to dig around.

Found the cable controlling the heat valve broken at the control assy. Will have to procure a new heater cable and install in the next few weeks. In the meantime, manually manipulated valve at the heater to the "closed" position. Temporary fix, but no heat at the DW's feet!

Next up applying Sikaflex around the passenger window, slight dripping.

More to come...
Old 05-31-2015, 07:02 PM   #78
Rivet Master

1991 35' Airstream 350
Carriere , Mississippi
Great to hear you had another successful trip! I love PEX as well. The whole coach has been redone in PEX. I keep some sharkbites around for emergency repairs as well.

We are headed back up Memphis way week after next. On our way to hot springs for a rally. We will be camping at Tom Sawyer on Wednesday the 10th on our way through in the big aluminum tent!
Old 06-01-2015, 06:26 AM   #79
"Alumi-holic"

1982 31' Airstream 310
Memphis , Tennessee
Dave,

I am glad Felicia and you are able to start enjoying your coach, you have certainly earned it!

I Love Hot Springs, DW not so much...
We are leaving later that week to pickup the grandkids near Jacksonville, FL.

Have to complete all the minor "nits" by then.

Good luck and safe travels.

Daniel
Old 06-06-2015, 07:33 AM   #80
"Alumi-holic"

1982 31' Airstream 310
Memphis , Tennessee
DW suggested I test for water leaks prior to re-installing the RV toilet, good thing I followed her advice!

Bought a garden hose fitting and comparable fitting to the toilet at local big box store. Hooked it up to the house, turned on the valve and ...darn it #\*^#! A small pin hole leak in the toilet water valve housing.

Hmmmm replace the valve on a 33 year old toilet or purchase a new one....DW said "don't mess with it, just buy a new one". Called local RV stores and found a suitable replacement.

New unit arrived next day, opened the box and...

Mounting holes are in a different location ( 3 and 9 o'clock vs 5 and 11) and a different location for the water inlet.

Broke out the tools, removed the toilet flange screws, caulked the old holes, re-clocked the flange to the new location, drilled new holes and secured the flange. Installed new toilet (much easier to install with the new mounting location) and attached water line.

Success (hopefully for another 30 years).

Cheers
Old 06-06-2015, 10:03 AM   #81
Rivet Master

1991 35' Airstream 350
Carriere , Mississippi
Good catch by DW!

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums