Old 07-02-2013, 12:28 PM   #29
"Alumi-holic"

1982 31' Airstream 310
Memphis , Tennessee
"Why won't it start"

I was working on getting my horns working and got sidetracked with the dreaded Onan Generator won't crank issue.

Checked Batteries, voltage is 12.93 (moho) and 12.57 (engine start), water is full, terminals are clean, removed ground terminal, scrubbed the frame until it shined and reconnected...No Joy

Checked for voltage at the generator solenoid, 12.57. I thought the starting power wire is supposed to come from the moho batteries?. Traced the wire from the generator to the engine starter (interesting). All good.

More to come

Old 07-03-2013, 12:54 PM   #30
"Alumi-holic"

1982 31' Airstream 310
Memphis , Tennessee
Did not locate a ground strap at the generator, so I purchased a ground cable and connected it to the generator and the frame.

Depressed the "Start" button on the generator and it cranks (slowly, but definitely better then "click").

Put the engine battery on a smart charger overnight, cranked the generator the next day and it started. Runs real rough and dies but that's another issue.

Old 07-03-2013, 12:59 PM   #31
"Alumi-holic"

1982 31' Airstream 310
Memphis , Tennessee
4th of July Celebration

Taking the family (my son and his family in "Katy" our former coach) and DW & I in "Penny" for a short trip out of town and weekend getaway.

Good chance to show my son how all the RV Systems work and all the things "NOT" to do...yes, I learned them all the hard way!

Birthday celebration for our country and my beloved granddaughter...Priceless!
Old 07-04-2013, 10:42 PM   #32
"Alumi-holic"

1982 31' Airstream 310
Memphis , Tennessee
We made the short trip to the campground with no issues!

Yay!

My son and I set up both motorhomes, secure generator, hookup shore power, turn on A/C units, connect water lines, deploy awnings and bring out the grills, small stove, ice makers, camp tables and chairs. We set about making lunch, just sandwiches, chips and drinks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4059148095.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	263.5 KB
ID:	190210

Name:	image-849004533.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	284.9 KB
ID:	190211

Name:	image-3812433101.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	210.3 KB
ID:	190212

Name:	image-1407289350.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	314.6 KB
ID:	190213

The grandchildren were chomping at the bit to get to the pool so, we packed up and the nine of us scurried to the pool. The kids appeared to be having the "best time, ever!"

We grilled hamburgers and BBQ chicken for dinner.
checked out the fireworks display about 2145 hours.

Pushed the water heater toggle switch in the bathroom in the bathroom in order to wash dishes and pans. The light on the light did not light up, checked propane main valve to be sure it was open, it was...okay, let's check the propane tank to be sure the valve is open. It was, so lets go outside and check the unit. Well here is the problem, a previous owner must have swapped in an old pilot light water heater. Lit the pilot, turned the unit on, set the temp and in a few minutes we had warm water.

Cleaned up the dinner mess, showered and settled in for the night.

I wish everyone had a happy 4th of July!
Old 07-05-2013, 07:15 AM   #33
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Nice! Congrats! Yup had a family day. Grandkids came and parents were well behaved! )
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 11:57 AM   #34
"Alumi-holic"

1982 31' Airstream 310
Memphis , Tennessee
"And the beat goes on..."

Trying to knock off one item after another from my "to do" list.

Took apart the overhead exhaust fans in the bathroom and shower, cleaned 30+ years of dust, dirt, bugs etc...

Installed new carburetor throttle return spring

Mounted FMCA Plates on the front and rear of the Motorhome

Measured, trimmed and installed reflectix on the windows
Old 07-12-2013, 12:05 PM   #35
"Alumi-holic"

1982 31' Airstream 310
Memphis , Tennessee
SCORE!

Forum member has made available much of the interior of her 310 Motorhome, thank you Mary!

Penny did not come equipped with some of the accessories Kimee had. Mary is shipping me the following:

Hickory Nightstand from between the twin beds

Nutone Power Center

Padded potty enclosure (DW liked sitting on the padding while putting on makeup).

Oven (Penny came with a microwave, I prefer the oven.

Just more items to add to my to do list,,.
Old 07-14-2013, 11:07 AM   #36
"Alumi-holic"

1982 31' Airstream 310
Memphis , Tennessee
"COOL"

Penny's front air conditioner (still original) struggles to keep the Motorhome degrees when the outside temp is in the nineties. Wanted to run both air conditioners at the same time, but the Airstream Manual says only the generator can run both. By a fortuitous coincidence, QuiteMaryContrary is removing her 310 interior and provided the following information:

"i just recently had my rear ac removed and put in a fantastic fan. its all sealed up or i would send you a pic
but originally 120v power came directly off the side of the ac and ran to the curbside following the rib supporting the ac.(my generator is curbside)

the wires ran to a switch that allowed either genny power or its own dedicated plug-in AC power
the switch was under the curbside bed platform right next to the genny box.
i could not run both a/cs at the same time w/ the generator.

i bet it probably does something similar in yours with ac power running to whatever side your generator is on or directly down thru the floor and twards the main ac fuse panel(mine happens to be in the very rear hidden in a credenza by the bed)

if you take off the interior ac shroud and peek into the interior skin there are alot of wires that are running thru that very spot and down along that rib towards the generator.
most of the rear power (water pump, tail lights etc) come up that rib on the streetside and down to the front to the 12v fuse panel

there were only 2 small 12 gauge running directly back to the endcap for a light fixture
the only other thing under the rear endcap are those pesky top running lights that are all on one tiny unprotected circuit...grrr, i had to rewire the entire length but they work now"

Following her advice, I dropped the AC cover and found the wire going into the sidewall cavity. Removing the curbside mattress, plywood, etc...I was able to find the junction box from the generator that supplied power to the ATS and the wire from the Rear AC.

So off to the hardware store to purchase:

4 single gang boxes
2 125V, 20 Amp outlets
2 125V Male Plugs
6 feet of conduit
Assorted clamps, staples, wire dogs, etc...
Luckily I had some 12/2 wire leftover from another project

Removed all power from the coach
Opened the junction box from the generator
Removed the wires from the generator junction box to the rear AC and attached a 125V Male end
Added a new piece of wire and clamp to the generator junction box in place of the old one

Mounted a single gang box to the floor
Attached a clamp to the hole closest to the generator
Fed the other end of new wire thru the clamp and tightened
Attached the wire to a 125V, 20 Amp female outlet and secured into the single gang box
Attached a cover plate and marked it "GEN" with a Sharpie

Mounted a second single gang box to the floor
Attached a clamp to the hole facing the aisle between the beds
Fished a 12/2 wire from under the driver side bed thru the credenza at the rear of the coach to the curbside bed
Attached the wire to a 125V, 20 Amp outlet and secured to the single gang box
Tightened the clam attached cover plate and marked it "SHORE"

Fed the conduit from under the coach to the driver side bed
Mounted a single gang box under the bed close to the credenza
Fed the 12/2 wire thru the single gang box
Fed the conduit thru the single gang box and secured
Connected the white, black and ground wired and secured with wire dogs

Fed the other end of the conduit thru the driver side rear storage locker and secured it a single gang box
Attached a 125 V Male end to the wire

Made sure the rear AC was still turned off
Plugged the Rear AC Male cord into the "SHORE" outlet
Went outside and attached a 25 foot heavy duty 120V, 12 gauge heavy duty extension cord female end to the male end in the single gang box
Plugged male end of extension cord into the house 15 amp outlet
Plugged 30 Amp RV Shore Power cord into our 30 Amp Outlet

Went inside, said a silent prayer and turned on the rear AC...Cool air began flowing
Turned on the Front AC and the coach cooled quickly...to quote my good friend Dudley..."cold enough to hang meat in there"

After a while, shut off the AC units and disconnected the Shore Power Cords
Pulled the curbside bed door and swapped the Rear AC cord from "SHORE" to "GEN".
Fired up the generator, waited several minutes and turned on one AC unit at a time, both worked as they should

Pretty cool!
Old 07-17-2013, 08:50 AM   #37
"Alumi-holic"

1982 31' Airstream 310
Memphis , Tennessee
Now I Can Run Both Front and Rear Air Conditioners at the Same Time on Shorepower.

"Penny's front air conditioner (still original) struggles to keep the Motorhome at 78 degrees when the outside temp is in the nineties. Wanted to run both air conditioners at the same time, but the Airstream Manual says only the generator can run both. By a fortuitous coincidence, QuiteMaryContrary is removing her 310 interior and provided the following information:

"i just recently had my rear ac removed and put in a fantastic fan. its all sealed up or i would send you a pic
but originally 120v power came directly off the side of the ac and ran to the curbside following the rib supporting the ac.(my generator is curbside)

the wires ran to a switch that allowed either genny power or its own dedicated plug-in AC power
the switch was under the curbside bed platform right next to the genny box.
i could not run both a/cs at the same time w/ the generator.

i bet it probably does something similar in yours with ac power running to whatever side your generator is on or directly down thru the floor and twards the main ac fuse panel(mine happens to be in the very rear hidden in a credenza by the bed)

if you take off the interior ac shroud and peek into the interior skin there are alot of wires that are running thru that very spot and down along that rib towards the generator.
most of the rear power (water pump, tail lights etc) come up that rib on the streetside and down to the front to the 12v fuse panel

there were only 2 small 12 gauge running directly back to the endcap for a light fixture
the only other thing under the rear endcap are those pesky top running lights that are all on one tiny unprotected circuit...grrr, i had to rewire the entire length but they work now"

Following her advice, I dropped the AC cover and found the wire going into the sidewall cavity. Removing the curbside mattress, plywood, etc...I was able to find the junction box from the generator that supplied power to the ATS and the wire from the Rear AC.

So off to the hardware store to purchase:

4 single gang boxes
2 125V, 20 Amp outlets
2 125V Male Plugs
6 feet of conduit
Assorted clamps, staples, wire dogs, etc...
Luckily I had some 12/2 wire leftover from another project

Removed all power from the coach
Opened the junction box from the generator
Removed the wires from the generator junction box to the rear AC and attached a 125V Male end
Added a new piece of wire and clamp to the generator junction box in place of the old one.

Name:	image-3005680273.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	387.3 KB
ID:	191073

Mounted a single gang box to the floor
Attached a clamp to the hole closest to the generator
Fed the other end of new wire thru the clamp and tightened
Attached the wire to a 125V, 20 Amp female outlet and secured into the single gang box
Attached a cover plate and marked it "GEN" with a Sharpie

Mounted a second single gang box to the floor
Attached a clamp to the hole facing the aisle between the beds
Fished a 12/2 wire from under the driver side bed thru the credenza at the rear of the coach to the curbside bed
Attached the wire to a 125V, 20 Amp outlet and secured to the single gang box
Tightened the clam attached cover plate and marked it "SHORE"

Fed the conduit from under the coach to the driver side bed
Mounted a single gang box under the bed close to the credenza
Fed the 12/2 wire thru the single gang box
Fed the conduit thru the single gang box and secured
Connected the white, black and ground wired and secured with wire dogs.

Name:	image-2513728254.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	426.4 KB
ID:	191074

Fed the other end of the conduit thru the driver side rear storage locker and secured it a single gang box. Attached a 125 V Male end to the wire.

Name:	image-96307561.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	471.0 KB
ID:	191075

Made sure the rear AC was still turned off
Plugged the Rear AC Male cord into the "SHORE" outlet
Went outside and attached a 25 foot heavy duty 120V, 12 gauge heavy duty extension cord female end to the male end in the single gang box
Plugged male end of extension cord into the house 15 amp outlet
Plugged 30 Amp RV Shore Power cord into our 30 Amp Outlet

Went inside, said a silent prayer and turned on the rear AC...Cool air began flowing
Turned on the Front AC and the coach cooled quickly...to quote my good friend Dudley..."cold enough to hang meat in there"

After a while, shut off the AC units and disconnected the Shore Power Cords
Pulled the curbside bed door and swapped the Rear AC cord from "SHORE" to "GEN".
Fired up the generator, waited several minutes and turned on one AC unit at a time, both worked as they should

Pretty cool!"

Follow up:
Still have to complete some final touches before I button Penny up...

- Align the two single gang boxes under the curbside bed.

- Install a blanking plate on the single gang box under the roadside bed

- Secure the power wire to the floor under the roadside bed

- Secure the single gang box in the rear basement storage locker

- Secure the Male plug into the rear basement storage locker single gang box and attach a hinged cover.

- Secure the conduit under the coach to prevent chafing.

Wrap Up:
Approximate cost - $58.00
Time - about 4 hours of actual work (most of the time was spent fishing the wire )
Old 07-17-2013, 09:59 PM   #38
"Alumi-holic"

1982 31' Airstream 310
Memphis , Tennessee
"Ding Dong" - doorbell is working again

Followed the various threads on doorbells and decided to throw my hat into the ring. Found the chime assembly behind the couch as others in the forum described.

Name:	image-2171421644.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	510.9 KB
ID:	191108

The solenoid is frozen, the return spring is broken, fuse was blown and doorbell button was corroded.
So, purchased a new chime, removed doorbell button and cleaned all the corrosion, flattened the contacts and tested with an ohmmeter to ensure continuity. Removed fuse assembly from the old chime and installed on the new one. Fed the wires through a hole in the new assembly and wired similar to the old chime:

Purple to the fuse assembly
White with black stripe to other side of fuse assembly
White to "Front" Terminal
2nd white with black stripe to transformer terminal

And finally, replaced the blown fuse.

Pressed the doorbell button and it works!

Thanks to the forum members for the collective knowledge!
Old 07-17-2013, 10:01 PM   #39
"Alumi-holic"

1982 31' Airstream 310
Memphis , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by cesalie2 View Post
"ding dong" - doorbell is working again

followed the various threads on doorbells and decided to throw my hat into the ring. Found the chime assembly behind the couch as others in the forum described.

The solenoid is frozen, the return spring is broken, fuse was blown and doorbell button was corroded.
So, purchased a new chime, removed doorbell button and cleaned all the corrosion, flattened the contacts and tested with an ohmmeter to ensure continuity. Removed fuse assembly from the old chime and installed on the new one. Fed the wires through a hole in the new assembly and wired similar to the old chime:

Purple to the fuse assembly
white with black stripe to other side of fuse assembly
white to "front" terminal
2nd white with black stripe to transformer terminal

and finally, replaced the blown fuse.

Pressed the doorbell button and it works!

Thanks to the forum members for the collective knowledge!

Name:	image-3636207887.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	444.3 KB
ID:	191109

Name:	image-1479396248.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	491.5 KB
ID:	191110
Old 07-19-2013, 08:16 PM   #40
"Alumi-holic"

1982 31' Airstream 310
Memphis , Tennessee
A Heartfelt Thank You to Member MaryContrary!

Took all of this:

Name:	image-296673576.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	482.3 KB
ID:	191218

Put it together to look like this:

Name:	image-3490631954.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	393.7 KB
ID:	191219

Received the last of four boxes from Mary...like a kid at Christmas, opened the packages and assembled the nightstand iaw the photos and instructions she provided.
Tool about 1 1/2 hours,to assemble and set into place between the twin beds in Penny.

Name:	image-903421679.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	226.2 KB
ID:	191221

Have to secure to floor and rear credenza and slide in the drawers...

PS: she's shipping some more packages next week
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-2534443614.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	226.2 KB
ID:	191220  
Old 07-30-2013, 09:28 PM   #41
"Alumi-holic"

1982 31' Airstream 310
Memphis , Tennessee
Goodies received!

Mailman and FedEx delivered Nutone Power Center and Magic Chef oven.

Removed the four screws securing the 4 burner cooktop, turned off the LP at the tank, disconnected the gas line and pulled the unit from the coach.
Then removed 4 screws from the trim securing the microwave, unplugged the unit and pulled the unit from the coach. Appears there is a 3 inch aluminum riser riveted to the frame that supported the microwave. Removed four screws, drilled out 7 rivets, pulled two wooden supports and wanted to call it a night. Plan for tomorrow is to measure the height of the Magic Chef oven and modify the existing support.

As I was putting away tools, noticed the overhead lights were dim.
Checked Shorepower, plugged in.
Checked several outlets and they had power.
Checked voltage at coach batteries...9.5 volts, that's not good.
Checked fuses at the converter, nothing appeared blown.
Removed panel to examine converter. ( Previous owner replaced original converter with Parallax 7455).
Noticed the unit was plugged in but the fan was not running.
Jiggled the 12 volt wiring and the converter fan started.
Turned on the overhead lights and they were much brighter.
Made sure all the wires were tightened and re-installed the cover.

You gotta love these old coaches, I've learned more in the last few months about the care and feeding of classic Airstreams then I thought possible...
Old 09-02-2013, 05:32 PM   #42
"Alumi-holic"

1982 31' Airstream 310
Memphis , Tennessee
Labor Day Vacation - Great!

DW and I travelled to Bull Shoals - White River State Park, AR, with our dear friends Dudley and Patty ( about 220 miles away).
It's great fun for two Airstream Classic Motorhomes to caravan together. Everywhere we stopped people admired our coaches and asked a lot of questions. Even ran into an elderly couple who refurbished their Classic 350 a couple of years ago. He shared some of his polishing "lessons learned"...

Name:	image-514094546.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	553.1 KB
ID:	194814

Name:	image-4219632390.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	216.5 KB
ID:	194815

Name:	image-4111280867.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	318.4 KB
ID:	194816

Name:	image-2670935762.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	567.2 KB
ID:	194817

While Dudley and his cousin fished, we played tourist and visited Mountain Home, AR and some of the neighboring towns.

Hated to return to Memphis but all good things come to an end.

Where did you spend the Labor Day Holiday?