Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2006, 09:52 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Lewiston , Idaho
The Maiden Voyage

We just arrived home from our first trip in our 1986 345 MH. We departed Lewiston Idaho on Thursday and headed north for Coeur d' Alene and Sandpoint Idaho. We spent 4 days camping, biking, swimming in North Idaho and had a wonderful time. The MH performed very well. On the first 2k climb I experienced a brief fuel starvation near the top of the hill and just idled to the top and had no other issues. The 454 TH400 cruised at 60-65 when asked and did not show any signs of heat even though the temp outside was near 100.
We Camped at Silverwood RV Park and also at Farragut state park near Lake Pend Oreille. We Biked some of the 70 mile trail of the Coeur d' Alenes which is an abandoned rail bed that runs along the lake from Dillon Montana to Plummer Idaho. We Took the kids to Silverwood amusement park for a day of rides and Water Park. Got another cribbage lesson from my wife.... twice. A great time was had by all. We are already planning our next trip.

On the 300+ mile trip I averaged just under 8 miles per gallon. I have a new list of "to do's" for the MH which is almost as much fun as using it. I hope you all had a safe holiday week.

Patrick
flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 02:55 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Patrick, I can only assume that your list of to do's will have fuel filters at the top. I had similar problems just after I had my generator installed. As I run off the main tank, main feed line for fuel. The "t" inline had a kink just before one of the two inlne filters.
I also had a carb rebuild and as it was the original and had never been touched it was beyond ready to rebuild. My mechanic said the float was heavy and that the metering jets fell out into the bowl when he disassembled the carb. The numbers after rebuild where very impressive.
I spend a lot of time on my creeper under the coach when I'm home. You'll get to be quite familiar with the undercarriage of your coach over time I'm sure.
Hope you'll post some photos soon so we can see your new passion.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote